Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amsterdam-217734/)

Catracho Dec 26th, 2001 10:47 PM

Amsterdam

I've been reading many negative comments on Amsterdam. Someone I know couldn't wait to leave, however he wasn't interested in art which is one of the main reasons I'm still going. My sightseeing priorities are as follows:<BR><BR>Remabrandt Paintings (my favorite painter)<BR>Rembrandt's home (I love old master drawings)<BR>Van Gogh Paintings<BR>Anne Frank Museum<BR>Seeing the red light district<BR>Canal Cruise<BR><BR>I was planning on staying 3 nights. If that is too long is Haarlem or any other day trip worth it? Or should I skip a day trip and leave for Paris after 2 nights?

gary Dec 26th, 2001 10:57 PM

Canal Cruise should be first on the list if you have never been to Amsterdam before. It gives you a real appreciation for the city's layout and why trading and the sea made it the city it is today. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

MH Dec 26th, 2001 11:23 PM

Amsterdam has over 40 museums that are very interesting. It is also a big city that has the same ills as any other city, petty crime, drugs, etc. It is also very expensive. But I think it is a neat city and I love it, just be aware of your surroundings and be careful....

Sjoerd Dec 26th, 2001 11:38 PM

Amsterdam doesn't need to be expensive. Move out of ther tourist belt (to De Pijp, or Dappermarkt area for instance) and you can eat well for 8 euros (US$ 7.5)<BR>In my experiece, Amsterdam is much cheaper than London and New York, and more or less the same as Paris or Rome.

Tony Hughes Dec 27th, 2001 01:09 AM

Emily and I spent 3 days there in November. Beware of canal boat tours - some are pretty awful. Conducted in 4 languages so that the first is spoken before arriving at each point of interest and the last (which was English) started as you were leaving it. Also poorly presented. 'This is the most famous steeple in the whole of Amsterdam' - that's fine but WHY?<BR><BR>Red Light district is fun but look out for the guys desperate to sell you cocaine/heroin and those wretched crusties whogave me a mouthful of abuse because I refused to give them spare change.<BR><BR>Anne Frank House worth a visit. It gets crowded so fgo early or late to avoid the masses.

Kay Dec 27th, 2001 03:21 AM

Just back from our first visit to Amsterdam. I think a lot depends on your interests. We are outdoors types who love to walk, see interesting architecture, experience different cultures, etc. with little emphasis on dining or luxury. My husband is a big van Gogh fan, thus our choice of Amsterdam.<BR><BR>I found walking early in the morning to see the architecture very rewarding, seeing Anne Frank House interesting, and van Gogh and the main art museum very nice. We hated the crowds in the afternoon and evening--near the train station, along the Dam, along the shopping streets, etc. We kept walking way out of our way to avoid the mass of people, cars, and speeding bicycles. We caught an early train and the station was a really depressing place when all the homeless and mentally disturbed were there. We didn't do the canal cruise because by the time we would have signed up for it we had walked most of the route, but it looked OK. We were not interested in the red light district.<BR><BR>Thus, we ended up spending one full day in the museums and then a couple of early mornings and late evenings walking and seeing Anne Frank (open late). During the day on the other 2 days we took day trips to Delft and Gouda--really charming smaller cities--Zaanse Schans for the touristy windmills, cheese, and wooden shoes, and Hoorn.

Surlok Dec 27th, 2001 08:23 AM

I love Amsterdam, and don't find it to be expensive if compared to London, Paris, and even Rome or Venice.<BR><BR>The canal boat rides are lovely, as is spending some time just wandering around Leidsestraat , Leidseplein, Jordaan or Spui, or people watching at the cafes there. Walking on the canals sidewalks is quite an experience. Amsterdamners are very creative, and the way they blend the dated building facades with modern interiors and design is amazing, from what I was given to see through the windows.<BR><BR>I was there twice, I'm a middle aged female, I was alone, and I didn't find Amsterdam to be dangerous, quite the opposite: I felt very safe, and found Amsterdamners to be very friendly, all of them speaking excellent English.<BR><BR>The only thing I don't like about Amsterdam is the language.. It's awful.<BR><BR>

Sjoerd Dec 27th, 2001 11:15 AM

Surlok, hoe kun je dat nou zeggen? Nederlands is een van de mooiste talen op deze wereld. Misschien zou je eens een paar lessen kunnen nemen om de nuances van onze prachtige taal te leren kennen. Ik weet zeker dat een nadere kennismaking met de rijke woordenschat en de beeldende kracht van het Nederlands je van gedachten kan doen veranderen.

uh.... ya. Dec 27th, 2001 11:50 AM

Easy for you to say Sjoerd.

Ti Dec 27th, 2001 12:05 PM

I'm going to be in Amsterdam around the 5th,6th and maybe 7th of jan 02. It will be my 5th visit to Amsterdam, and for a 24yr old from texas...I think that's pretty good. Amsterdam is not at all expensive if you are willing to compromise. Same goes for any city I guess. I normally stay in a hostel, pay roughly 20-30 bucks a night. Meet interesting and fun people. There are smaller lest "impressive" places around the RL and near Centraal station that are semi affordable.<BR>Can't wait to get back to the Grasshopper.

Surlok Dec 27th, 2001 09:16 PM

Sjoerd,<BR><BR>I didn't understand a word. Reading, the language is not that bad, but listening to it, ohmigosh, it does still sound awful. Sorry, but nobody is perfect, Amsterdamners, or myself.;-)<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR>PS: I also love the bikers, even if they nearly hit me sometimes, the trams and their bright and original lay out. In fact, the only thing I don't like about Amsterdam is the language, sorry.

Julie Dec 28th, 2001 03:58 AM

I now enjoy Amsterdam very much. Have been there probably 5 times or more but must admit that it took me longer to get to like than some other cities. It is quite unique. Although the canals are pretty, they are also highly utilitarian. The small houses are charming, but almost always have small bags of garbage waiting outside them to be picked up. Lots of contradictions and ambiguities like that. But once you get beyond that and sort of relax, the place has its own brand of charm. I certainly don't find it an expensive city. Seems to have more low end but clean hotels than most cities its size. Has lots of international variety in the food and restaurant department but little really great dining possibilities in my experience. You can certainly find something to do everyday for 3 days but if you choose to take a train to Haarlem, for instance, it's easy, not very expensive and a nice change from the city. In short, Amsterdam is an interesting city that can certainly reward a 3 day stay. It may not become your favorite city but you'll be glad you went.

April Dec 28th, 2001 08:16 AM

It must be a case of the ear of the beholder. I thought the language sounded lovely - another nice surprise about the Netherlands. Any day trip is worth it but with only three days I would stay in Amsterdam.

Catracho Dec 28th, 2001 08:31 AM

Based on your comments I've decided to stay the full 3 nights. Since I don't have to decide on the day trip until I get there I'll play it by ear. Thanks again for your help. This message board is GREAT!!!!

April Dec 28th, 2001 11:07 AM

It must be a case of the ear of the beholder. I thought the language sounded lovely - another nice surprise about the Netherlands. Any day trip is worth it but with only three days I would stay in Amsterdam.

Caren Dec 30th, 2001 07:58 AM

I just returned from spending US Thanksgiving weekend in Amsterdam. We stayed in Harlem (Amadeus Hotel) It is a ten minute walk from the train station and twenty minute ride from Central Station in Amsterdam. The hotel was clean, reasonable, (about $60 a night) and right in the center of the market. (within spitting distance of the Corrie Tenboom Musuem) We are culture junkies and felt like we did the city justice. Be aware that although there are wonderful museums, you can get museum-ed out and so don't plan to spend from opening to closing times in musuems. Definitely plan to do the Ann Frank late in the day, since it is open later than other musuem.We did not take any of the canal cruises. Definitely see Remrandt's home ! We did not go to the Red Light district, in the scheme of things it was not tops on our list of must-see.

April Dec 30th, 2001 10:13 AM

Don't know why my last message posted twice. I loved the canal cruises but if there was time for only one, I would take the nighttime one. It does give a good overview of the city so I would go on the first day or as soon as possible.