Reload this Page >

amount of time to change planes at amsterdam airport

Old Aug 17th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have 1 hour and 45 minutes to change planes at Amsterdam airport. I arrive on Delta from Boston and then change to Air France going to Marseille Fr. I assume this is enough time, but any info about this airport and time it takes to change planes would be helpful.

Thanks, Yipper
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM

AMS is a big airport but 1h45m is plenty of time, if your flight is on time. Check the Delta and AF sites to see which gates are in play and then download a map of the airport to get oriented before you arrive.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM

I'm guessing that's plenty of time, if your inbound Delta flight is on time. Schiphol is a pretty efficient airport; I connected there via Delta last fall both arriving and returning from Europe and it was quite easy.

However, delays can always occur. What I like to do when connecting is look for later flights same day, in case I miss the first connection. You'll probably arriving early at Schiphol so no doubt there are later flights on to Marseille. So, go on to Kayak and see which direct flights go to Marseille after the one you're scheduled on and just note down the next flight or two. So at worst, if your Delta flight is delayed and you miss the connection, you'd be on the next plane. What time would that arrive? If that isn't the end of the world, then you can put worrying aside - and be happy when your original flight connects on time.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Hello, yipper. AMS is a very user friendly airport and I tend to agree with the other posters that have responded to your question. Here is the AMS website, in English, which will help you get familar with the airport layout.

http://www.schiphol.nl/index_en.html
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 06:44 PM

will your luggage be checked through?
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 12:03 AM

You will go through passport control and security again at AMS. This can take some time depending on how many people are connecting to Schengen flights, but you should have plenty of time - and be able to do a bit of shopping or grab a coffee as well. I am assuming your bags are checked through or you are carry-on only.
The flight to Marseille is on a smaller plane and very nice, or so my husband tells me. He has flown there four times over the last 5 weeks.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the info. I am now relaxed that all will OK. I will check the next flights to Marseille.

Yipper