Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amount of time in Reims? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amount-of-time-in-reims-424456/)

RobertaL Sep 3rd, 2008 11:04 AM

Amount of time in Reims?

This October, we are planning a day trip from Paris to Reims. If we arrive in Reims at 10:00am and leave at 5:00pm, is there enough to see & do? We would like to visit the cellars of Cliquot and maybe another. Any suggestions & tips for our day trip is so appreciated!

PalenQ Sep 3rd, 2008 11:15 AM

Oui

note that Champagne houses may be closed for a few hours at lunch.

other things:

world-famous Gothic Cathedral where kings and i guess queens of France were once crowned - one of the most magnificent in France

WWII War Room - in an old girls' school near the train station is the command room where Ike (i think) and the Allies plotted the final assaults of Germany - table left as was with name plates and original maps on wall, etc.

Sweet regional town - old-world wrought-iron market shed and animated markets on certain days

and i think the old canal just west of the station is worth a look to - some locks there and you may see barges going by

bellamiyagi Sep 3rd, 2008 03:41 PM

plenty to see...especially if you enjoy a leisurely lunch.

RobertaL Sep 4th, 2008 04:52 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. We figured we'd see a wine cellar in the late morning, have lunch somewhere & visit the cathedral. We were looking to fill our afternoon hours. There's always more time for sipping champagne...

swagman Sep 4th, 2008 06:14 AM

Was in Reims last Sunday. You'll have plenty of time between 10am and 5pm. There is not much to see in the city centre other than the Cathedrale.

Like you have planned, visit a champagne house in the morning (book ahead!), have a long lunch (with champagne of course), then see the Cathedrale and perhaps do an 'open-top' bus tour with audio commentary, this is run by the local Office of Tourism and there are 6 tours per day.

Enjoy!

s

rosetravels Sep 4th, 2008 09:10 PM

We were there last winter and discovered 2 other UNESCO world heritage sites in Reims. One was a lovely museum with great exhibits of the history of the area. The museum was in a beautiful old convent (I think) and had a great exhibit from Roman times.

We went to the Cathedral, went on a champagne tour, then to the museum. All were amazing.

LoriNY1 Sep 5th, 2008 09:47 AM

DH and I are thinking of a day trip to Reims from Paris in November. Were you able to get to the champagne houses without a car?

PalenQ Sep 5th, 2008 10:00 AM

yes by bus and a few-mile walk

and there are some minor houses to tour near the train station

MomDDTravel Sep 5th, 2008 10:01 AM

bookmarking.

kat12 Sep 5th, 2008 09:41 PM

I loved Reims and would enjoy returning to the region for a longer visit. We took a taxi to the champagne house and then walked back to town---- it was a pleasant walk.

The cathedral was amazing. Chagall's stained glass windows were beautiful beyond words. You could envision the coronations that took place there so long ago.