Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Americans, who watches BBC America? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/americans-who-watches-bbc-america-460551/)

Nigello Jul 17th, 2004 09:39 PM

Americans, who watches BBC America?

Some of you posters mention that you watch 'Changing Rooms', 'Ab Fab' or other such programmes on this channel. So how many of you do watch BBC America? (Don't phone, it's just for fun!)

Clifton Jul 17th, 2004 09:41 PM

Watch it quite a bit, including the news.

lyb Jul 17th, 2004 09:42 PM

I'm one. I watch mainly the DIY shows and the gardening shows. I have watched the news at times for a different perspective and I've occasionaly watched a movie or a sitcom.

ninasdream Jul 17th, 2004 09:44 PM

I don't have cable, but I watch the Britcoms on unltrhigh, like As Time Goes By, My Hero and Coupling. Listen to BBC America on NPR, though.

lyb Jul 17th, 2004 09:46 PM

By the way,
>>(Don't phone, it's just for fun!)<<
Sorry to sound stupid, but what does "don't phone" mean, besides the obvious? Is this a British expression?

Nigello Jul 17th, 2004 09:47 PM

It was a catchphrase for a tv or radio programme in the past. The programme would pose questions for competitions, but when it didn't want masses of phone calls and was just posing a question for people to muse on, the presenter would say the above words.

Huitres Jul 17th, 2004 09:50 PM

I LOVE 'Coupling' and 'The Office'!

lyb Jul 17th, 2004 10:14 PM

Nigello,

Got it...thank you!

ggnga Jul 17th, 2004 10:45 PM

I watch BBC America most of all. Love the DIY, sitcoms and the mysteries. I think Allistair Appleton with his dimples is the cutest man in the world. He is host of Cash in the Attic and one of the can't sell your house shows,House Dr. I think. Love House Invaders, Phil is so cute too.
I watch the Monday night mysteries evey week. The only one I don't like so far is The Vice. I thought the mini series they had on Sunday nights recently, political intrigue show about who killed Sonya Baker was terrific. Can't remember the name of it. I was crushed that I watched so much of it and was in Provence when the the final episode was on. I still don't know who killed Sonya Baker. Can anyone tell me? I discussed the great comedy on another thread.

I started watching BBC in the beginning to help my travel "fever" between trips. But realized IMHO the programing is much better. Between BBC America and Fodor's I manage to survive until I am off again.

mgmargate Jul 18th, 2004 03:39 AM

Watching BBC for entertainment is one thing,For the "news" quite another.Their outrageous editorial bias and lack of professional integerity has been thoroughly exposed.

nytraveler Jul 18th, 2004 04:03 AM

Unlike the high professional standards of the Faux News network.

mgmargate Jul 18th, 2004 04:11 AM

At least Fox gives both sides unlike the "news" orginizations you seem to prefer.

jody Jul 18th, 2004 05:05 AM

Guess margate hasn't seen " Outfoxed" yet!

Gardyloo Jul 18th, 2004 05:15 AM

Ground Force. Alas, it's started to rain. And Charlie can't seem to find her jacket. Oh dear.

mgmargate Jul 18th, 2004 05:15 AM

What partisan crap. I don't listen to the crap that people like Limbaugh or M. moore spew.I do however feel on Fox even with their self admitted conservative Bias you at least get both sides of the issues that can't be said of many liberal "news" media orginazations

FromAtlanta Jul 18th, 2004 05:20 AM

BACK TO THE TOPIC ;)

I LOVE BBC America. I just love getting my weekly dose of "Keeping Up Appearences" :) The other showa are good too ... for those w/ no cable, most public broadcasting channels do a block of Britcoms on Saturday nights.

Kayb95 Jul 18th, 2004 05:20 AM

I <i>love</i> BBCA. That's the whole reason I subscribe to digital cable. I love Changing Rooms, House Doctor, The Family, Coupling, The Office, Bargain Hunt, Cash in the Attic.

I liked the older mysteries they used to show - Morse, Frost. I don't care for the newer ones. And how many mysteries have Robeson Green and John Hanna been in? :)

I also loved Monarch of the Glen when it was on - particularly the early seasons before Hector departed.

I live in the metro-Detroit area and we can get the Canadian CBC station. So my perfect Sunday morning routine involves a cup of tea and a two-hour presentation of Coronation Street. It's about 7 months behind the episodes shown in England. I'm watching it right now!

Judyrem Jul 18th, 2004 05:22 AM

I was watching &quot;Queer Eye&quot; UK Version yesterday...it was really fun. I read the BBC news web site...it is in my favorites. I LOVE Ground Force too...and of course the BEST show on TV...Antiques Roadshow UK version.

soccr Jul 18th, 2004 06:53 AM

Oh, of course mgmargate would post here, never missing an opportunity to attack, and of COURSE he would think Fox is &quot;fair and balanced.&quot; Since he will undoubtedly question people's credentials here, too, I have a PhD in journalism history, and I'm here to tell you that Fox is there to tell the sensationalist side of any story, above all. And &quot;balanced&quot; is not at all the same as objective or truthful -- I'd have loved to see what Fox would have done with &quot;both sides&quot; of the rise of the 3rd Reich.

And for the record, Nigello, Americans do watch BBC America but not in great numbers, usually the more educated and well-traveled -- the vast majority see BBC productions on public broadcasting, which is probably where many posters find the programs (programmes) you mention.

mgmargate Jul 18th, 2004 06:58 AM

Soccr: Don't you mean the more Liberal? Chasing you around refuting your nonsense is becoming tiresome.