Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Americans: We love the idea of something... rather than...

Americans: We love the idea of something... rather than...

Jul 5th, 2000, 10:49 AM
mwb

Americans: We love the idea of something... rather than...

As americans we get this mental picture of how lovely it would be to be doing xxxx in xxxx at that time of year.

We setup these expectations of how fantastic it would be to be cruising down the Seine, or kissing under big ben, or whatever.

Wake up people. Europe is just like america - people trying to earn enough money to survive. Only there, they realize you're more than 1/3 of the way around the world, in an unfamiliar place, and ready to be plucked.

I've been to europe (france, germany, italy, greece, spain, uk, and russia). They're all the same.

2 suggestions:

1. Learn some of the language
2. Take a phrase book with you
3. Accept no substitute
4. Familiarize yourself with their currency
5. Take a calculator (numbers are universal)
6. Practice screaming at the top of your lungs (You'll need it in italy, and russia)
7. If you plan on driving, buy your map in the country of destinateion - not in the USA. And fill up with gas before your tank gets to 1/8 full.
8. Don't rent a station wagon.
9. Don't rent cars at the Rome airport
10. Don't buy clothes, books, cd's, electronics, anything from anyone on the street operating out of a van or car.
11. Never look straight up - watch for falling buildings.
12. Lose weight if you plan on going to the beach. (too many fat people in the UK)

Jul 5th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Bob Brown

I have several questions for you on your observartions.

Why NOT buy a map in the USA before you go? I have the Michelin maps of Switzerland and the big map, with street index, of Paris. Without them in advance I could not have planned my trip nearly as well. I also have a detailed map of Vienna, which I have spent a couple of hours studying. I think I will be prepared for Vienna as well as I was for Paris because of the pre study.

2. What good does it do to watch for a falling building? I doubt if you can take any evasive action if a whole building falls on you. But, where did that happen??

3. Does it really help to scream in Italy? Not my experience.
And Russia? Who will hear you or care?
You need to explain that one.

Jul 5th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Diane

Why bother traveling?

Jul 5th, 2000, 01:12 PM
Holly

You should look up from time to time with the hope of avoiding falling pigeon poop.

Jul 5th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Art

Why the tirade??
If you think that there all the same, you havn't traveled at all!! Yes, everyone is trying to earn a living, but one of the beautys of travel is to learn different customs (and yes they are very different in various countries), different historical aspects (do you think that the French and Germans have the same view of history, or the Serbs and Croats?), History in general, out own backgrounds (if your background is European), Languages, the progress of civilization since the 16th century or earlier if yoy visit Greece or Africa.

Jul 5th, 2000, 01:50 PM
Anon

Can't decide if this post is real or not. Some of the "advice" is OK, but what does "accept no substitutes" mean? What specifically are you talking about.

I disagree that Europe is just like America. If is was, no one would travel there for pleasure. There are working class people all over the world and we can all teach each other about our countries/cultures.

If you're going to scream in other countries, you're going to be treated in kind. Perhaps that is why you say all the countries you've been to are the same. You reap what you sow.

In fact, the more I look at your post, the more I think "If it looks like a troll and it smells like a troll. . ."

Jul 5th, 2000, 06:49 PM
April

Sometimes looking up is not a good idea, Holly. My friend did that on a boating trip and she got a face full of seagull poop.

Jul 5th, 2000, 08:35 PM
Holly

Sorry to hear that, April. I guess your friend didn't look up in time.

Search this Thread