Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Americans may be able to go to Europe (vaccinated) but what to do to return?

Old May 24th, 2021, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm seeing that vaccinated Americans will most likely be able to travel to europe this summer. I am not seeing the process to come back? A pcr in the last country you’re in before departure? Quarantine once home? Anyone know? Thanks
Old May 24th, 2021, 06:03 AM

as your great President says "ah come on man" there are about 50 countries in Europe. Give us a chance, which one?
Old May 24th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
as your great President says "ah come on man" there are about 50 countries in Europe. Give us a chance, which one?
I am eying Spain and Portugal.
Old May 24th, 2021, 06:40 AM

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ state as it is, but we have crazy stuff happening all the time here so it will change

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...rican-tourists

https://thepointsguy.com/news/spain-reopening-june/

As of today that is Spain
Old May 24th, 2021, 06:43 AM

https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...f-border-rules

https://www.traveloffpath.com/portug...-and-schengen/

Portugal
Old May 24th, 2021, 06:43 AM

But this is not advice, only google searches
Old May 24th, 2021, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
But this is not advice, only google searches
Thanks! Clearly my google searches were not specific enough.
Old May 24th, 2021, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by AP6380 View Post
Hello,

I'm seeing that vaccinated Americans will most likely be able to travel to europe this summer. I am not seeing the process to come back? A pcr in the last country you’re in before departure? Quarantine once home? Anyone know? Thanks
Are you asking about returning from Europe or traveling to Europe? As far as the return trip, you will need to take a test no more than 72 hours PRIOR to the flight home AND you "should" take a test several days after you return:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...accinated.html

The CDC has approved self-tests for the return trip; the kit is purchased before leaving the US and you need to schedule a telehealth appointment to be observed taking the test. It looks pretty darn easy and, given that many countries are charging for the tests, reasonably-priced, too.
https://www.afar.com/magazine/cdc-ap...ational-travel

Old May 24th, 2021, 07:50 AM

Be very careful when planning and when actually travelling.

There isn’t currently a unified EU approach to travel, different member states have different policies. Germany has tightened up this week, Spain has opened its doors.
Old May 24th, 2021, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol View Post
Are you asking about returning from Europe or traveling to Europe? As far as the return trip, you will need to take a test no more than 72 hours PRIOR to the flight home AND you "should" take a test several days after you return:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...accinated.html

The CDC has approved self-tests for the return trip; the kit is purchased before leaving the US and you need to schedule a telehealth appointment to be observed taking the test. It looks pretty darn easy and, given that many countries are charging for the tests, reasonably-priced, too.
https://www.afar.com/magazine/cdc-ap...ational-travel
d

thanks for this! Leaning more towards staying in the US, but just looking at everything.
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:03 PM

Countries that are opening up to US tourists are, so far, providing the pcr test and quick turn-around for a fee that is much smaller than what you'd pay even with insurance in the US. As always, check with the specific US consulate and country info. We will be taking the test the day or two before our return.
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
Countries that are opening up to US tourists are, so far, providing the pcr test and quick turn-around for a fee that is much smaller than what you'd pay even with insurance in the US. As always, check with the specific US consulate and country info. We will be taking the test the day or two before our return.
We will be traveling to France in August to visit our daughter and grandchildren. We are fully vaccinated Americans. Where do people actually take the pcr test?
Old May 24th, 2021, 03:45 PM

Hello,

The rule has been in effect since Jan. 26th and it doesn’t matter whether you are coming home from Europe, Guatemala (as I did) or Timbuktu. You must take a COVID test- it can be rapid or PCR and it must not be more than 3 CALENDAR DAYS older than the day of your of flight departure. Progol is almost right but it is not 72 hours, it’s 3 calendar days. I confirmed that with the CDC before my Guatemala trip in March. So for example, if your flight is on a Friday, your test sample can not be taken any earlier than 12:01 a.m. local time Tuesday.

You would be wise to know where you would get that test prior to making your trip arrangements but assuming you are traveling to just about any place other than Antarctica, you shouldn’t have much problem getting the test completed. Make a reservation for it ahead of time as I did.

Last edited by MinnBeef; May 24th, 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old May 24th, 2021, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo View Post
We will be traveling to France in August to visit our daughter and grandchildren. We are fully vaccinated Americans. Where do people actually take the pcr test?
Thanks, MinnBeef, for the correction about 3 calendar days, not 72 hours.

For the tests: do a search in the location where you will be ending your trip. A lot of hospitals, clinics, public health facilities provide them. The airports are also offering them. I think France is offering them for free so worth a search.

And, if that is too much, you can buy an approved test kit and do it yourself! I know United has already developed a relationship with one of the companies making these tests. The kits are purchased prior to leaving the US. To use it, one just books a telehealth appointment with the company technician to be observed taking the test. I love this idea - I read a description by someone who used this in one of the travel blogs and he said it was as easy as can be.
Old May 24th, 2021, 09:00 PM

Hello,

Here is the process to get back into the US:-

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

You have to make sure the country you are travelling to can provide the correct type of COVID test and test result certificate for you to get back home. The COVID test does not have to be a PCR test, it can be an antigen test as long as it meets the requirements as indicated in the link.

Old May 24th, 2021, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo View Post
Some pharmacies can provide antigen testing. Here are some links where you can search who provides both antigen and PCR testing in the area you are travelling to. PCR tests might only be available in private labs although some areas have their own testing facilites.

https://www.sante.fr/cf/carte-depistage-covid.html

https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid.html
Old May 25th, 2021, 10:59 AM

Thank you to everyone who answered my question and supplied links. I heard from my daughter in France today, and she told me there is a lab in her town that does COVID testing. She says it's very easy to get an appointment. If we have to pay, it won't cost much. I'm a little concerned that something could go wrong because of COVID, but we decided it was worth the risk to see our young grandchildren, whom we haven't seen in almost 2 years, and they change so much at their ages, almost 6 years and 4 years.
Old May 25th, 2021, 11:40 AM

If you booked airline tickets, you should check them online. My United tickets show destination requirements and show the tests which would be required, even just for flying through Frankfurt airport on the way to Barcelona., for instance.

I'm hoping this changes by early June, when Spain is suppose to open up. Germany hasn't said if they will allow in non-EU tourists but I'm only transiting there, not staying.

As for the return, US requires negative test results. Biden administration kept the same EU/UK ban that Trump had. It's a very mixed message because on the one hand, they're urging people to get vaccinated, to protect yourselves but also to protect others as you're less likely to infect others once you're vaccinated. But the testing requirements, without any exceptions for fully vaccinated people, is saying that no, they really don't trust that vaccinated people can't be infected or be infectious.

Biden is scheduled to go to the G7 summit in the UK in the first week of June and then thereafter go to Geneva to meet with Putin. So maybe he will make a splash at the G7 and say we are reaffirming the Atlantic ties with Europe and get rid of the silly travel restrictions, considering that some EU countries have already said they will welcome American tourists.

If he doesn't, its weird optics. It's okay for him to travel to Europe and come back without dealing with any restrictions or have concerns about his traveling entourage getting infected or bringing back infections. But it's not okay for ordinary Americans to make the same transatlantic trip, even if they're vaccinated?

Old May 25th, 2021, 09:33 PM

Hello,

This probably depends on the state to some extend. New York State requires travelers to fill in an online questionnaire which is sent directly to the Department of Public Health. We filled one out going to NYC, but had no such requirement coming back to California.
Old May 26th, 2021, 12:20 AM

Europe is still seeing covid outbreaks due to anti-idiots, given that this is providing a path for the Virus to develop varients which are affected by the vaccines differently you might want to hold off and let the President travel on his tod.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information