Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia? Best swimming beaches, outdoor cafes?

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,Planning 2 days in Dubrovnik than would like to make 1 or 2 more overnight stops to relax & enjoy the ambviance. Love to swim...Nice, FR. so far has been my favorite spot so far..any place somewhat similar in Croatia? Have about 12 days in June,05
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:35 PM

We swam just south of Dubrovnik as late as October 6th, and it was wonderful. Don't know how warm thesea will be in June. Very few sandy beaches anyplace in Croatia, so get some beach shoes as soon as you get there -- about $10. Crystal clear water every place you go.

One really swinging bar in Dubrovnik is the East-West Bar, just about a hundred yards outside the Ploce gate. Nice modern ambiance, good restaurant above the bar, cool music. You can rent beach chairs, etc. just in front of the bar. Also the Busa Bar is great. Hard to find, but really unique. We saw folks swimming off the rocks at the foot of the stairs below the bar.

The town of Hvar has a bar called the Carpe Diem, which is the haunt of the "in" crowd, we were told. We missed going there by one day as it closes in late September. Probably more like the FR you say you like.

See the Croatia thread for more discussion. I'm sure you will enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Nukesafe, anyone else with suggestions, thoughts on beaches & swimming in Croatia early June? Thanks in advance
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 09:48 PM

Makarska, Korcula, or (Opatija, a fashionable summer resort). Love Nice too but love Croatia more. Will be going back next summer and I can't wait.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:54 AM

I was in Croatia in early June of this year and decided to try the water while staying on Korcula. The water temp. was 68-70 degrees F. Very chilly. Coming from Florida it was quite a difference.
Also the beaches are not sand but small smooth rocks and they really hurt to walk on so I would wear some kind of sandal or beach shoes into the water.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:58 AM

The water in Dubrovnik was plenty chilly in September so I imagine in June it will be similar. Refreshing!

Surely the further south you are (Dubrovnik) the warmer it will be.

Dubrovnik and the islands around Hvar will probably be your best bets for good swimming. The water is spectacular. Clean Clean Clean

You'll find Croatia a bit more "rustic" than Nice which I thought to be a good thing. Very laid back and easy pace.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Foodiern, I think a few days with "lschu" and her two sons in northern Italy sounds alot more interesting!!
Ciao, L