Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Americans and Canadians, leave your tipping practices at home

Jun 23rd, 2012, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

If you have never been to Europe or haven't been in a while and forgot, you don't tip as you are required to back home. There will be no tipping jars at stores or ice cream parlors( an old word, yes, I know). You wont have to tip any taxi drivers either. The most you might tip is a euro or two for dinner and that is only if you really want to or if your guilty North American conscience is nagging you. Even though the exchange rate is better than it was, its not wonderful and things are generally much more expensive in a lot of European countries. Save your money and take a break from tipping. I know we have been conditioned to do so and its a mortal sin not to in the US and Canada but we can adapt.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 02:42 AM

Hard hats on.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:33 AM

We had a really hard time with this and one bad experience! It just doesn't feel right!
Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:35 AM

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I've been to Europe many times over the years and just got back from a three week trip there. We saw tip jars at some gelaterias in Rome. And while not as expected, it's become much more usual to round off the bill wherever you go unless you've had really bad service. And not just for American clients.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:37 AM

What country are you from and who designated you the tipping police?

If you are trying to help people perhaps suggestions rather than dictates would be the way.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:07 AM

OMG, Adrienne, you got me musing about the the idea of an International Tipping Police force.

--Manned booths at all entry points in each country.
--Would pass out user manuals the location, spelling out strict repercussions if local tipping rules not followed.

Wonder what we should suggest for starting wages. Any uniform suggestions? Perks?
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:14 AM

AllessandraZoe - I'm sooooo glad I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read your post - I'm still laughing!! So funny!

I do think everyone should carry special tipping purses with a little pocket that the tipping cheat sheet slides into so the rules are always handy.

Are beatings allowed for over tippers?

As for uniforms - I've always loved those red capes flung over one shoulder - so jaunty!
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:25 AM

re: beatings...

...At the very least, they must roam restaurants with little rulers to rap on the offending non-tipping or under-tipping or over-tipping knuckles.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:28 AM

I respectfully disagree from my vantage point in SW France. Tip bowls are often in hair salons and I've seen them at two ice cream stands.

Yesterday we had a wonderful lunch at a new place in St. Lizier. The total was 162€ for 4, we paid cash, rounding up to 170€.

I tip taxi drivers roughly 8-10% depending on luggage handling and will continue to do so, no matter where I am.

I really don't give a damn what anyone thinks of my tipping practices. I tip roughly in line with local expectations. But, I don't automatically tip 20% in the US unless the service is exceptional.

By the way, if anyone is down this way, the new Le Carré de l'Ange in the Bishops' Palace in St. Lizier is excellent. It's at the top of the village; the view of the Pyrénnes from the terrace are incredible--very
comfortable seating on the terrace or inside.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Are beatings allowed for over tippers?

Absolutely!

These are really just suggestions, Adrienne. Not telling people what to do although I guess that is what you understood from the title. A better title might have been " Americans, when take a holiday in Europe, you can also take a holiday from over tipping." Many Americans don't know this and feel compelled to tip, overtip and to tip everywhere.
But please feel free to tip if you like. Its your money.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:32 AM

should read, views of the Pyrénees and the village are
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:35 AM

I'm waiting for them to remove those non-existent "tipping saucers" in the restrooms and also waiting, obviously IN VAIN, for people to BUTT OUT when it comes to MY tipping.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

"I really don't give a damn what anyone thinks of my tipping practices. I tip roughly in line with local expectations. But, I don't automatically tip 20% in the US unless the service is exceptional."
So, you tipping is based on your comfort level while in Europe or at home. How do you feel about a European visiting the US or Canada and tips according to his or her customs and comfort level?
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:38 AM

I am British, live in the Netherlands and holiday in various European countries as well as the US.
I don't tip chambermaids, the pilot, nor even my hairdresser, but I often do tip when I have a meal out, when the service is good, and we have had a lovely time. We round it up to a nice round amount, and that doesn't mean €100 when the bill is €98 either.
On the rare occasion I take a taxi I again round the amount up to any easy amount to pay.
I leave my change in the jar at the ice salon, or on the table in a café.

I do so voluntarily but I do tip for good service. People appreciate it.

I hate the compulsory "tips" in the US just because the staff don't get a decent wage. I know many of them make an excellent living from their tips so don't want the system changed there but I can't see why I should be compelled to tip up to 20% for what is often below par service.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:40 AM

This one probably needs some popcorn.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

This one probably needs some popcorn.

My questions to you is what will you do with the change that you get back? In your pocket or in the JAR?
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:47 AM

What to do with those Italian rest room matrons who won't let you pee if you don't tip first. Perhaps it's not a tip since they hand you 2 non-absorbant sheets of TP?

And in Krakow (at the bus station rest room) the woman handed me back my 2PLN and told me I had to pay 3PLN or I couldn't go in!!

Maybe we need police not just for the tippers but for those folks who demand a certain tip!! LOL

PS I always tip the pilot.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:49 AM

I wrote that I tip ROUGHLY in line with local customs, I did not mention a comfort level.

Europeans needn't tip if they don't want to in the US and should look at the bill carefully to determine whether or not a service charge has already been added. Zero tip for decent service might result in some verbal abuse, which I don't condone, but I would advise going to the US with a thick skin if you intend to zero tip.

I would expect Europeans to know that the salary structure for wait staff is different in NA, but at the end of the day, it's their decision.
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:49 AM

>My questions to you is what will you do with the change that you get back? In your pocket or in the JAR?<

I'm British. I tip in restaurants, taxi's and at the barbers in the UK. When I'm abroad I follow local practice. My sphincter never goes into spasm at the thought I might be breeching "tipping etiquette".
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:50 AM

Not had a good tipping fest for some time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO