Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   American women who want to be French-----Humor (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/american-women-who-want-to-be-french-humor-955870/)

cigalechanta Nov 6th, 2012 02:33 PM

American women who want to be French-----Humor

Very Funny, Very True!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTuc_bHjLLg

Micheline Nov 6th, 2012 04:24 PM

Wonderful! Thanks Cigale

StCirq Nov 6th, 2012 06:03 PM

I get the concept, and think it could be made very funny, but I don't think she got there. I didn't laugh...chuckle a few times, but not really funny.

justineparis Nov 6th, 2012 07:25 PM

Yes, sorry did not work for me either, and what the hell was she dressed as, a frump!! I would say most American women do not look like that unless they are on the way to the barn to milk the cows!
The concept could be funny though, but i don't think an American woman would think wearing a beret made her look like a local.. and it would take alot more then that to make this lady sexy.. sorry , hope its not a friend of yours. I do notice its a toastmaster thing so good for her for getting up and doing a routine at all, it would be hard to stand up inn front of a lot of people and entertain.

bilboburgler Nov 7th, 2012 03:51 AM

timing is everything

cigalechanta Nov 7th, 2012 07:28 AM

not a friend, got it off a French forum.
She does hit on some of the things
Americans say and think.
This was simply a skit for her club.
She most likely has never been to Paris
and her dress is not pertinent in this case.
Berets can be seen on some French Women
(and me) but they are worn in Basque country.

justineparis Nov 7th, 2012 07:55 AM

Well glad I am not an American woman since I might take offense.. but in Basque berets are actually worn mostly by men, not women.

cigalechanta Nov 7th, 2012 08:25 AM

true

sundriedpachino Nov 7th, 2012 09:36 AM

Considering she is a complete amateur, I thought her routine was quite funny. With a little imagination, I could see her as a 30ish young North American woman arriving in Paris with a backpack.
I think she did hit on some misconceptions that newby travellers have, or maybe 'had', back in the day.

Bedar Nov 7th, 2012 10:04 AM

Didn't female Apache dancers wear berets ?

justineparis Nov 7th, 2012 10:34 AM

A thirtyish yr old woman would wear those baggy jeans, serioulsy I am fifty and I never dressed like that in my thirties and sure as heck don't now either. It was shocking to me she went out of the house like that, I am not sure if it was part of her act ( which might be considered insulting to all the smartly dressed American women) but if not, then seriously , do you think American women normally dress like that to stand in front of people ( as I said, she looks like she was going out to milk the cows) .. Do they? Maybe I have been watching too much American tv, I thought you guys dressed closer to what we would dress like then not( except for our farmers! )

sundriedpachino Nov 7th, 2012 11:48 AM

We probably would never wear a dress under our jeans either, except maybe while doing a comedy act.
Not sure how anyone could be offended over something like this.
I'm sure there are a few college girls in jeans and runners in Victoria, and elsewhere in Canada and the US.

cigalechanta Nov 7th, 2012 12:11 PM

That terrible two piece she wore was deliberate for her to metamorphose into her LBD little black dress.

justineparis Nov 7th, 2012 12:19 PM

Way nicer jeans,, not granny pant jeans, duh, in fact, good jeans and a nice shirt can take you into almost any restaurant in Paris, its what the locals wear too. And btw ,, this lady was no college girl, and no college girl in Canada or States would wear those clothes.

I am not offended, but then I am not American.. if I was American I might be a bit put off with the assumption that Americans are freaks.