American Tourist & 14th Century Fingers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American tourists already have enough of a bad reputation. This chump added to it by breaking a finger off a 14th century statue in Florence.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=19881003
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM

"In a globalized world like ours, the fundamental rules for visiting a museum have been forgotten, that is: Do not touch the works" said the pompous American director

Things on display get damaged all the time (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-display.html). Only a pretentious American could invent such a fatuous rule.

Is he really so up his own orifice he's never noticed the foot on the di Cambio statue in St Peter's, Rome?

They'll be insisting on gloves to consult manuscripts next.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:52 AM

<i>They'll be insisting on gloves to consult manuscripts next.</i>

The rare book room of a major American university insisted (more than 40 years ago) that no pens could be used for taking notes while consulting rare books.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't find the museum director's comments pompous at all nor do I think "do not touch" a fatuous rule. Accidents happen but purposely touching art and causing damage is inexcusable. Comparing a fragile marble statue to a bronze statue is meaningless.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM

There are a few (very) works of art in public places that it is a tradition to touch - the boar near the market in Florence.

But any numbskull should know not to touch ANY other work of art. Just as they should know to follow the no photos signs. But a huge number apparently

1) can't read
2) think the rules don't apply to them
3) are unconscious - although walking around

As for pulling a finger off a statue - I think it would be appropriate to have the tourist PAY for the restoration - in lieu of a trial for damaging part of the national heritage. Perhaps a "you broke it you bought it" sign at the entrances might help. (Unfortunately works in Italy are often easy victims since there are so many that they don;t have the electronic alarms as they do in museums in many other places.)