Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "American-style" hotel in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/american-style-hotel-in-london-58785/)

S. C. DIXON Dec 30th, 1999 06:55 AM

"American-style" hotel in London

Recently a friend told me about an American-style hotel chain (actually, he said it was more like a motel) springing up in England, that he'd stayed in one in London. I'm going back in March and would like to know if anyone knows the name of the chain. I'm on a budget and he said it was clean, cheap and that they were generally well located. Plus, they take credit cards which many of the older hotels I've stayed at in Russell Square (and the ones I can afford) do not. He said that this was virtually the English counterpart of Budget Inn. Can you help?

cheryl Dec 30th, 1999 07:02 AM

You're probably refering to the Travel Inn. As of January, the rates will be about 63 pounds per night. Here's the website: http://www.travelinn.co.uk <BR> <BR>I haven't stayed there yet, but I have a reservation for the one across from Parliament (County Hall) for February.

Dru Dec 30th, 1999 05:38 PM

SC- do a search on this forum for "Travel Inn". I've seen the chain mentioned quite often & if I remember correctly, it's been mostly positive comments. The search will at least give you some references to go by. Have fun.

Lori Dec 30th, 1999 05:57 PM

Travel Inns charge about 65 pounds/night, which comes out (depending on rate of the day) to about $103.00/night - not exactly "budget" if that is what you are looking for. They are "motel" styled, sort of like Super8 or Econolodge in furnishings. This type of hotel in the U.S. would be about $49/night. While it is inexpensive by London standards it is not exactly a budget hotel either. They have a web site, just do a search for Travel Inns. <BR>

chuck Dec 31st, 1999 08:02 AM

stayed at tower bridge travel inn in london this nov for 4 days. was 60pds per night. thought it was a good deal for london. is an american style hotel but a lot better than some of the other 30 to 40pds rustic english hotels ive stayed in. same price for single or double. i dont think there are any inexpensive hotels in london.

Ken H Jan 7th, 2000 09:36 AM

My wife and I are planning a trip to London in June for our anniversary. She is asthmatic so a know factor like a hotel is a great plus. I have visited Travel Inn website but still have some questions. Feather pillows or foam? Air conditioning? Ice/vending machines on floors? Truly non-smoking rooms, not just put the ashtrays away but still have the smell in the furnishings? How much to park a car? Thanks for the help.

rand Jan 7th, 2000 12:13 PM

ummm...Ken, don't want to sound rude, but they have an email adress on their webpage.

Judith Allen Jan 7th, 2000 07:34 PM

Our family stayed at the Putney Bridge Travel Inn last June. Our room was quite large--we were there for 5 nights with four of us in the room and it was great. We would definitly stay there again. Enjoy London! Judith

Ken Jan 19th, 2000 09:14 AM

Thanks, Rand but I have been to the Travel Inn website, which says parking is limited but says nothing about air conditioning. Even the email reply from Travel Inn avoids the air conditioning question. Any of you who stayed in a Travel Inn, was there air conditioning? Thanks.

Annalynn Jan 19th, 2000 09:26 AM

I stayed in the County Hall Travel Inn across from Westminster earlier this month, partly due to the recommendations on this site. I have to admit I was disappointed. The price was right, and the room was large, but thats about all I cansay for it. There was no parking at that hotel, but I did read in their brochure that one of the others in London had some parking. You couldn;t drive up too close to the hotel, so if you have a lot of baggage, it won't be too convienet. I'mnot sure about A/C (since we were there in January), but they had no ice machines - I don't think you'll ever find one of those in Europe, but if you do, please let me know. The bar in the hotel was nice enough to provide us with a bag of ice every evening, but then there was nothing in the room to keep the ice in - we used the coffe pot as an ice bucket. I didn't like the bathroom at all. They were VERY steamy, and had a note attached that we could not use the bathroom with the door open as the steam from the shower sets off the fire alarms. The doors were very heavy and clsoed automatically. The sheets on our bed were often dirty AFTER they had been changed every day, and twice we had to complain for new sheets. Then, there was the location. Since its not in a residential neighborhhod, its very dark in the afternoon and evenings and quite deserted. We didn't have any problems, but were concerned, and its the first time I've ever been nervous in London. The pillows were OK, and we had a truly non-smoking room with permanent signs indicating it as such. <BR> <BR>All this aside, if money is a concern for you its not that horrible. But I woulldn't give it a stellar review and I doubt I will recommend it to anyone in the future.