Reload this Page >

American money vs. pounds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Eleanor

can someone tell me what the rate of exchange is for american dollar, and what is the best way to travel, traveler checks, or make the exchange when we get out there

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Sam

1 pound is roughly $1.50. Use your ATM card, forget travelers checks. If you want more details, search Fodors there are a million threads on this already.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 05:27 PM
vstrip

There is a cool website that can figure it all out for you. Check out:<BR>http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:05 PM
xx

Try<BR>Finance.yahoo.com<BR>And click on currencies.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:18 AM
Shelley

Today the exchange rate is about one pound = $1.55, but it varies somewhat every day. I have been to England three times with nothing more than an ATM card and credit card - and my husband, to carry my luggage! Never had to use traveler's checks or make any exchange while there. The exchange rates are the best with ATM cards and credit cards. I paid $1.10 transaction fee to my bank for each withdrawl at the ATM, so I made big withdrawls which lasted me several days. I just checked with my bank before I left to make sure there was no problem withdrawing money in England and to confirm my daily limit, which I never came close to meeting. When I land at Heathrow, I head for an ATM, withdraw money, then buy coffee or gum --- something to get some change, and I am ready to head out of the airport with local cash in my pocket. Couldn't be easier! And there are ATMs EVERYWHERE, so I never have a problem getting more cash.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:43 PM
nancy

ATMs are everywhere. Best exchange rate followed by credit cards. I always bring my traveler's checks home but take a few for emergencies. Just be sure you have a four number pin - the ATMs do not show letters. There are ATMs in the airport.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 06:15 PM
sheri

I've been to Uk about 30 times with the pound varying from 2x the dollar to 1.35..just pick the number that is most relavantat the time for you to remember..right now 1.50. You pick up or lose a little but in the big picture what is the difference. Do not take travelers checks! Credit or ATM is the way to go.If you insist on TC's take a few in dollars so when you get home you can stop at the store to get milk with them!