Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"American" gifts for Norwegian hosts and children

May 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

I am traveling to Norway in June/July and will be hosted by some relatives, we may also be meeting some young members of their families. What kinds of gifts and trinkets would be good for us to bring along as token gifts that would be uniquely American and neat to receive? We live close to Disneyland and could easily carry some small Disney things, would that be good, or is Disney so global now that it wouldn't matter?

Thanks!
May 29th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Norway is an extremely wealthy country with access to any type of goods and it's unlikely that there are any "trinkets" that would be appreciated by anyone - esp something as commercial as Disney souvenirs. I would bring a couple of bottles of good quality wine (which is expensive there) and treat your hosts by taking them out to dinner in a nice restaurant. For kids you might want to offer some Ipod gift certificates.
May 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM

Disney is global now, but the children always enjoy gifts from the real Disney Land/World and not just a store. We bring them for our young relatives. Try little jewelry things for girls. Try not to get something that has sizes. At Disney World they have the glass store. We have brought glass Mickey/Minnie mugs with their name engraved on them for the adults. They loved that.

Also, anything that is native to your area. We now live in Virginia. We bring things that are handmade here or produced here...except peanuts because we don't know about allergies. Or anything that is (and this is hard to find) manufactured in America. Ask if they have any hobbies. One cousin collects pipes. We brought him a corn cob pipe.

They will really appreciate anything you bring. Just try not to have a "made in China" label on it.
May 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM

I disagree about the Disney things. We have found the kids to really love and appreciate them. Think about if you had them coming to visit you. You would appreciate the thought. Wine is a good thing. Tasting wines from a different area.
May 29th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Well, I inherited my step-daughters as tween/teens (10 and 13) and they had absolutely no interest in anything mouselike. Much more interested in music and movies - and the elder in ballet and the younger in aquariums and oceanography.

For kids I would find out the ages and interests before brining random tschotkes.
May 30th, 2010, 03:58 AM

The poster needs to be more age specific. I'm saying under 8 years old. Over 8 they need to know more about their likes.
May 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM

The "salsa" we got from the grocery store in Norway was similar to ketchup...so maybe they might enjoy that.
May 31st, 2010, 02:37 AM

A coffee table book of your region or national parks or something I am sure would be one of the nice gifts you could take along for the parents. There are nice journals or diaries around for the kids. Stickers are also fun. There are so many different kinds at shops and kids seem to love them. Most kids like stuffed animals or hand puppets ( depending on age).

Most little girls LOVE nightwear.

Boys might like some type of model( paper, wood or plastic), they can build. Perhaps you could find one of something historical or representing a tourist attraction.

A children's cookbook in English along with a set of American size measuring cups and spoons always goes over big.

How nice you can be hosted by relatives. Have a wonderful trip. I am sure anything you take will be well appreciated.