Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   American football on TV in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/american-football-on-tv-in-paris-556026/)

KGL Sep 2nd, 2005 01:56 PM

American football on TV in Paris?

I'm a student from a Big Ten school spending the semester in Paris, and I am looking for a bar or tabac that might have American football on tv on the weekends? I can't miss a Badger game! Thanks!

BTilke Sep 2nd, 2005 02:03 PM

If you get Eurosports, you can sometimes find American football late at night (3 am). Also check with the various Irish pubs around town.
If you go up to Brussels, try FatBoys sports bar on the Place Luxembourg; they show more American sports than any place I know of in continental Europe (it's owned by a guy from Pennsylvania). Unfortunately (for you, that is) a lot of the Irish pubs/sports bars in France and Belgium are owned by the Irish or Brits, so they are more geared to showing soccer, rugby or cricket (and occasional horse races).
Aside from those possibilities, you'll have to ask your friends back home to Tivo for you.

sandi_travelnut Sep 2nd, 2005 03:03 PM

You can't miss a badger game???? Even with Paris right outside your door?

dachsund Sep 2nd, 2005 03:09 PM

Go Raiders!

AAFrequentFlyer Sep 2nd, 2005 03:19 PM

I'm a huge fan of NFL (Chicago Bears) and I do spend a lot of time in Europe. Finding NFL is possible, but college football? it won't be easy.
I've never looked into it but I know that MLB has on-line broadcasts of games as long as you are willing to pay and have high-speed internet access. Maybe NCAA has something similar. I would think that's about your only chance of seeing ANY college football game in Europe.

AnthonyGA Sep 3rd, 2005 01:54 AM

Try the Moosehead bar, at 16 rue des Quatre Vents in the Sixth. They show a lot of North American sports.

HappyCheesehead Sep 6th, 2005 08:10 PM

Hope you didn't miss last Saturday's game - yowza!

Christina Sep 7th, 2005 10:07 AM

Try The Black Bear at 161 rue Montmartre (near Grands Boulevards metro). It's a sports bar and has a lot of games playing, but I wouldn't expect to see college football. I'm not sure it's still open, but since you're there a while, might as well check it out.

esm Sep 7th, 2005 10:35 AM

My son signed up and watched the NCAA final four basketball games in Paris. They were unavailable to viewers in the US because of broadcasting rules. To view in Europe, they checked the IP address to make sure it was outside US and required payment by a credit card, again with a billing address outside US. One of our friends let my son charge his credit card. Check out these links:

http://www.cstv.com/media/livegame.html
http://allaccess.cstv.com/media/index.jsp

swalter518 Sep 7th, 2005 11:43 AM

Diablo's snotty comments aside, I have relatives in Brussels who are die hard Broncos fans. I know they signed up for some special sports service through their satellite tv. Now let's talk about being a Badger's fan...:)

swalter518 Sep 7th, 2005 11:44 AM

P.S. I wouldn't advise wearing a giant cheese head had in a bar in Paris...

twk Sep 7th, 2005 12:47 PM

I want to say that the ABC/ESPN Gameplan package (which has been available on PPV for several years) is now available over the internet. They would have most of the Big 10 games that you are interested in.

walkinaround Sep 7th, 2005 01:34 PM

don't worry about the snobbery. i think it is the occasional traveler who is usually so upset that someone would want to partake in a pleasure from home but the experienced traveler who realises the importance of the occasional home comfort.

i'm in paris for about 1/3 of my time now and while i greatly enjoy the city and culture, i do not feel the need to immerse myself in local culture every last second of the day like an occasional traveler might. when travel is part of your everyday life, i think you take a less militant view of those who, when traveling, wish to keep living and enjoying the things they enjoy (while of course experiencing all the local things). good luck.

KGL Sep 8th, 2005 01:16 AM

Thanks to everyone who had helpful comments instead of solely their unhelpful opinion! I think that Paris right outside of my door every day for 7 months is wonderful, but it can be possible to enjoy something from home every now and again!!!!! Maybe if Diablo had a happy place at home in America he wouldn't have to "ESCAPE" to Europe. And thanks Walkinaround for the reassurance :)

SAnParis Sep 8th, 2005 05:42 AM

Based on the Badgers trouble w/BG they may be in for a long season (as well of some games you may want to miss). Lucky for you they don't have the Buckeyes on their schedule this year. I would think the Internet is your best bet.

HappyCheesehead Sep 10th, 2005 07:18 PM

Hey KGL- catch any of today's game?? Badgers 65-0 against Temple. Double yowza.

susie Sep 10th, 2005 08:00 PM

I’ve read several posts here from folks traveling and worrying about missing a televised sporting event and would offer the following as an option. I’ve read news reports about the Slingbox which is a $250 device that allows you to control and watch your home TV from your computer anywhere in the world. In other words, you could take your laptop with you and watch any game that you could have seen on you TV at home. I have no first hand knowledge of this device and there may be others that do the same thing, but I thought I might offer this as an option for those desperate to see the game back home. The description of this device sounds too easy and too good to be true. Has anyone tried out the Slingbox?

jeff49 Sep 12th, 2005 05:03 AM

Has anyone tried using the Slingbox?

musky60 Dec 12th, 2005 04:35 AM

I will be in Paris for the next three weekends. Anyone know where I can catch the Chicago Bears games in Paris metro area?

moschops Dec 12th, 2005 05:31 AM

though i can't say i understand American football - i understand the reason for posting - i never miss an England match (football - real football) wherever I am - seen them in Norway, Estonia, Mexico, Guatemala and India