Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   American dollar never weaker but France is still the number 2 destination for American travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/american-dollar-never-weaker-but-france-is-still-the-number-2-destination-for-american-travel-696976/)

robjame Apr 15th, 2007 06:33 AM

American dollar never weaker but France is still the number 2 destination for American travel

Interesting article by Karen Fawcett with a couple of hints for budgeting in France.

http://tinyurl.com/2k9ud2

wanderful Apr 15th, 2007 07:01 AM

robjame:

Yes, the dollar is weaker, and with that clown in the White House until January 2009, it will grow weaker still. But I have to live, so I’m going to Paris in 17 days, for the fourth time in five years, in part, because I want to forget for two weeks that this clown is still in the White House.

blackduff Apr 15th, 2007 07:06 AM

Wanderful
Amen!

Blackduff

Budman Apr 15th, 2007 07:45 AM

wanderful, a weaker dollar is good for the entire U.S. economy (ECON 101).

I'm so sorry this doesn't seem to fit in with <b>your</b> personal Paris travel plans. Have some cheese with your whine. ((b))

Padraig Apr 15th, 2007 08:00 AM

Budman, you missed some of ECON101: a weaker currency is usually the result of economic underperformance. Whether or not it is good for the economy as a whole is debatable.

tudorprincess Apr 15th, 2007 08:08 AM

Yes, unemployment is up, foreclosures are at a high and retail sales are down.
I'm having some cheese with my whine right now.
I like how after 7yrs. people think he's a clown. Some of us knew that from day one.

blackduff Apr 15th, 2007 08:12 AM

A weak Dollar is great for selling products overseas but when Americans need to purchase products outside of the US, it's going to suffer.

For each Asian built car is going to take too much money away from the US. All of the airplane parts which are built offshore are more costly.

And another item to think about with the US Dollar being weak, it's costing a bomb (sorry for the pun)to pay for the Iraq war.

Blackduff

Budman Apr 15th, 2007 08:16 AM

The U.S. economy is booming, and unemployment is at 4.4%. In most circles, that way below the norm as thee will always be people in between jobs. What's the unemployment rate in France, Germany, and the UK?

Mortgage foreclosures? Yes, for those who made bad decisions and now want the Federal Government to bail them out. Why do people think government is their mother? ((b))

tudorprincess Apr 15th, 2007 08:19 AM

Budman, I guess we're not including those poor people affected by layoffs from the auto companies who didn't make bad decisions, just lost a good job and no alternative for work paying the same rate of pay in the rural areas that they live in, right?
The U.S. economy isn't booming, unless you listen to what WW3 has to say.

logos999 Apr 15th, 2007 08:21 AM

&gt;unemployment is at 4.4%
The figues can't be compared. If you used the same method for calculation (including ALL unemployed in the US), the figures wouldn't differ much.

Budman Apr 15th, 2007 08:29 AM

<i>I guess we're not including those poor people affected by layoffs from the auto companies who didn't make bad decisions, just lost a good job and no alternative for work paying the same rate of pay in the rural areas that they live in, right?</i>

You can take each sector of the economy and break it down, but I was using overall economic numbers.

Lots of blame to go around concerning the auto industry. The unions have been extorting the industry for years, and now they can't afford to pay all these benefits &amp; salaries and stay competitive. I notice that BMW, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda all have factories in the U.S. and seem to be doing well.

You just can't look at your neighbor who happened to be just recently laid off and say the economy sucks, can you? ((b))

tudorprincess Apr 15th, 2007 08:37 AM

No Budman I can't. But having worked for G.E. for 14yrs. and listening to all their b.s. in every plantwide meeting about how we have to be competitive and part of the global economy while they ate away at my benefits and salary when I went to work every day 6-7 days a week for up to 12hrs. a day knowing that what they decided to do with my future just to save them a buck really sticks with you for a lifetime.
I'm just saying don't lump all those together who made bad investments with those who are really in need innocently.
I'd also like to say on a lighter not, please rethink your beer selection.

tudorprincess Apr 15th, 2007 08:47 AM

That should read, on a lighter note, please rethink your beer selection.

Budman Apr 15th, 2007 08:47 AM

<i>I'm just saying don't lump all those together who made bad investments with those who are really in need innocently.</i>

No, I was referring to those who made the decision to obtain one of those ballooning mortages and defaulted and want the Fed Gov't to bail them out.

You don't like my moniker? :-) Actually, I'm a Wine-O. ((b))

Christina Apr 15th, 2007 09:26 AM

The dollar is very low now against the euro but that article is wrong in claiming it is at an all-time low. It was just as low, and a bit lower if you want to go into decimal points, at the end of 2004. While her general idea about the dollar being weak now is true, she shouldn't write factual things like that without doing a little research.

NeoPatrick Apr 15th, 2007 10:03 AM

And Disney World has never been as expensive as it is right now. Isn't it still the number one tourist attraction in the US?

Rastaguytoday Apr 15th, 2007 10:25 AM

NeoPatrick,

I'm headed to L.A. for a couple of weeks and thought I'd stop in at Disneyland, but a one day ticket is $83.50, just a tad high.

Maybe we can resurrect John Maynard Keynes to give us economic advice.

Dukey Apr 15th, 2007 10:53 AM

Budman, please...when YOU want something from the Federal Government I'll bet they can't keep both of you away from the head of the line.

wanderful Apr 15th, 2007 11:04 AM

Budman:

I guess you’re one of the poor saps who’s swallowed the nonsense the Bush Administration churns out on a daily basis. They love people like you. They laugh at people like you.

By the way, your ”cheese with whine” line is hardly original, You’re going to have to do much better than that.

Rastaguytoday Apr 15th, 2007 11:17 AM

Budman,

As my very Repuplican grandfather used to say: &quot;You give your money to the big guys and they trickle it back down to you&quot;. My grandmother was a union organizer. Made for an interesting couple.