american cell-phones in norway

Mar 16th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Brigid

american cell-phones in norway

hi! has anyone had experience using their american cell phone (world phone) in norway and denmark? i'm travelling to both places this summer and and wondering whether i can buy a "card" to use in my own phone when i'm over there. thanks!

Mar 17th, 2002, 06:26 AM
ttt

to the top

Mar 26th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Geir Jøsendal

In Europe, digital cellphones operate on the 900- and 1800 bands, while US sets operate on the 1900-band. Your phone will work in all of Europe if (and only if) you have a socalled "triband" model. Ask your dealer if in doubt! If your phone is a single band set, i.e. works only on the 1900 band, leave it at home, and buy a cheap phone in Norway or Sweden for less than USD 100,- with a prepaid calling card included. With this phone you cannot call the US, but the other way, i.e. your friends and relatives calling you works fine. When leaving Norway, buy a new prepaid card in each country for app. USD 20,-. (Prepaid cards allows only national, outgoing calls, but incoming calls from everywhere.) One more thing: If you bring a US triband phone with you, you can use your US card, but check with the US operator you are using what roaming agreements they have with European operators. It may or may not be a good idea to buy a Euorpean card to put into your phone while here, but what is the cheapest solution (US or local nationality card)is not necessarily the same in every European country, and will also be dependent on whether you intend to make national calls within that European country, or to call back to the US.

Mar 26th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Jeff

You can call the US pretty cheaply by subscribing to a service like Net2Phone. They have local access numbers in most countries or by buying a prepaid long distance card in each country. The call to the local number in the country comes out of your allotment and the rates of Net2Phone are pretty cheap...

It is real interesting the difference in rates. For example in the UK if you have a Virgin Mobile prepaid, the charge for minute to the US in only 20p..much much cheaper than many ways of calling the US. Yet if you are past the initial five minute period when rates drop on the plan, it is 5p to call the net2phone local (0207) number which is charged at natiojnal rates than 15 US cents a minute....of course the other big advantage of getting a prepaid is for the most part, receiving calls is free....

Mar 26th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Kay

Check Nextel. The i2000 works most places and if you already have a Nextel account, you can use it.

Mar 27th, 2002, 12:00 AM
b

Or bring the new Ericsson's by example. My Ericsson T39M is a socalled three-band phone, for use all over the world...
Bjorn, Oslo

Mar 27th, 2002, 02:48 AM
jjj

You might consider doing the world a small service by leaving your cell at home and making that occasional call from a pay phone. It is amazing how cells have taken over the world and how irritating it is to see them used incessantly in places (e.g., museums, churches, cafes/restaurants) where it would be better if they had been de-activated.

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:13 AM
PCM

My experience is that Europeans are much worse at using cell phones everywhere than Americans.

Having said that, Brigid, consider buying a phone card and skip lugging the cellphone around. However, Nextel has a cell-phone rental service, if you really want to have one. And if you were sold a "world phone," with the promise you could use it everywhere, then you should get back to the dealer for the proper adapter-card or instructions.

Mar 27th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Jim

Brigid,
You can not buy a phone card chip for your phone in Europe. It will not work.
Cellphones are coded by the service provider you bought the phone from and they are the only ones that can unlock that code.