American brand products in Europe?

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Mr_Dreamer

American brand products in Europe?

I've been trying to find stores in Munich and Paris that carry American brand things like Makers Mark bourbon, Camel cigarettes, Folgers coffee and Lipton tea etc, that we can enjoy in our hotel room at night or for pit stops. Do you know of any?

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camel cigs are available. not sure about the instant coffee or tea choices. the top american brands of liquor like makers mark are available at the munich airport. there is a good sized food market in the airport centre that would be a good place to start.

and brace yourself for the onslaught of american europhiles falling over themselves to try to *teach* you that you should not be consuming american things in europe.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Biting my lip about the idea of going to Paris & wanting American coffee...

Why not buy the bourbon & cigarettes at the duty free shop at your departure airport ? It will be cheaper.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:14 AM

I think it is becoming obvious, at least to me, that the OP is basically a troll who is looking for reactionary replies given the recent post about avoiding certain areas of cities and asking if people in Amsterdam all go around smoking weed in the streets and now this.

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Mr_Dreamer

I didn't know we could buy cigarettes and bourbon at a duty free shop in the airport.. that's great information thank you. As far as consuming American products in Europe. my wife is a coffe drinker day and night I like tea at night because it doesn't keep me up and we're use to Folgers and Lipton that's all we know! So in our room instead of going out late at night for hots drinks we always keep some in the room. It's cheaper and ready in minutes.

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing against American products, it's just that there are many similar brands available.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to find the exact brands you're used to. Go to the nearest grocery store and buy the brands they have. Lipton tea is available in most stores. I haven't seen Folgers coffee here but Nestle products abound.

By the way,

1) Make sure you can smoke in your hotel room. Many hotel rooms are non-smoking.

2) Make sure you have a hot water maker in your room. Many rooms don't have this.

3) What you do need to bring from the states is your own medication and toiletries. Makes life a lot easier.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Couldn't you pack some tea bags and some Folgers 'singles' bags..?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:23 AM

In Paris Makers Mark is available at Nicolas which is a chain of wine shops.

For other amercian products go to http://www.thanksgivingparis.com/ in Paris.

I have no idea if they have, eh hem, Folgers.

Must you really have all of that anyway? Cant you do without for a few days?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:25 AM

schuler has a good point - the majority of European hotels don't have tea & coffee making facilities in the room. If you really need it, take a travel kettle with cups.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm wondering how long the trip is going to last to not be able to bring sufficient supplies from home. More than a month?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Mr_Dreamer

Well Dukey what questions should I be asking for OUR upcoming vacation? Maybe I should let YOU ask them for me! I didn't say do ALL the people in Amsterdam go around smoking marijuana! I asked if people really smoke it on the streets! I really don't care if my question about areas to avoid in Munich and Paris is not up to your standards of information I should know before we go there but, if you are saying I am asking these things because I like to see myself type then you are just plain wrong! If you don't like what I ask then don't reply and thanks for your commits.

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Mr_Dreamer

We have a small kitchenette in our room in Paris and a coffee maker in the Munich room I think? We were planning on taking a some tea bags and a small amount of coffe with us but we will be in Europe for 15 days and I am sure we are going to run out.

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr. Dreamer,

You'd be a lot more likeable if you'd just thank everyone for their kind replies and ignore the few you don't appreciate.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Mr_Dreamer

I would be more likable? All I am doing here is asking questions about Europe in advance of our upcoming vacation that I feel will be useful to us. I throught that's what the purpose of this site is? Why should I let people talk down to me or call me names for the things I really what to know? Would that make me a better Fodorite? I do thank the people who give me advice but also correct the others who puts words in my mouth. I guess I need to learn to let them have their opinions too.

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:05 AM

I'm beginning to agree with Dukey on this. He's an excellent troll, isn't he.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Mr_Dreamer

Unbelievable!

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:21 AM

Mr dreamer,

If you can do without specific brands you can easily find ground coffee and tea bags in standard French grocery stores such as Monoprix which are in virtually every neighborhood in Paris.

Hope that helps.

Morgan
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Mr Dreamer wrote: "I would be more likable? All I am doing here is asking questions about Europe in advance of our upcoming vacation that I feel will be useful to us. I throught that's what the purpose of this site is? Why should I let people talk down to me or call me names for the things I really what to know? Would that make me a better Fodorite? I do thank the people who give me advice but also correct the others who puts words in my mouth. I guess I need to learn to let them have their opinions too."

There are aspects to my personality that might not appeal to other participants in this group. I try to repress them rather than flaunt them. I hope that makes me a better Fodorite (even though I hate the term!).

In my opinion, if when you travel you seek to have an experience that is as similar to home as you can make it, then you are missing out on some of the joys of travel. Rather than bristling, perhaps you should consider the views of other travellers.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Lipton, for instance, is a UNILEVER brand. Unilever being Anglo-Dutch, I fail to see how it can be labelled "American" the slightest ?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Why don't you just take along more tea bags and more coffee if you think you are going to run out? How much space do 100 tea bags take up in your suitcase?
I must be missing something here....

Notice I did not comment on the perception that Elmhurst, Queens is a "bad" area.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -