American Airlines to Rome

Feb 13th, 2002, 07:59 AM
TonyT

American Airlines to Rome

Flying AA Chicago to Rome and return early June. Flight#1546 in coach.

Anybody have any experience with the flight. Interested in seating, meals, snacks, movies, etc. Any comments welcome.

Feb 13th, 2002, 12:01 PM
tonyt

Feb 13th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Mike

For one you should feel lucky! I'm trying to use my miles but AA told me that they don't start flying into Rome until Oct 15, 2002.

Feb 13th, 2002, 12:23 PM
xxx

Check with AA and ask if your flight is on an AA plane or if it's a codeshare with another airline. Judging by the flight number, I suspect it is a codeshare.

Feb 13th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Angela

Mike, who told you AA doesn't fly into Rome? We flew into Rome non-stop from Chicago last May and I've just purchased tickets flying into/out of Rome this Aug/Sept.

Feb 13th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Patrick

Tony, are you starting in Denver? I believe #1546 is a flight from Denver to Chicago, that then may meet up with the American Airlines #110 from Chicago to Rome.
American had the Chicago to Rome service before, but cancelled it. Is is scheduled to start again May 1, 2002.

Feb 13th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Mike

I was looking into using a net saver award to go to Italy for my Oct honeymoon. In the process of researching a particular award (30 K miles plus $195 to Europe), I was told that due to 9/11, AA only flew to Rome, and then only seasonally (they used to go to Milan as well). I still might do this since the "season" opens Oct 15, but I am considering using my miles on a partner airline like BA or Swiss Air so I can do an open jaw flight. The problem there is that net saver rewards don't apply so it might be cheaper to go into Rome then fly into Venice on AirItalia.

Feb 13th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Haw

I have used my air miles to book a trip on AA. They begin flying the Chicago-Rome route May 1.

However, you can always fly to London and then to the continent on BAA. As far as AA is concerned, it's the same as flying on AA all the way.

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Tina

TonyT -

If you've got enough miles (40k on American after Oct-15), then you could fly into London, change to British Airways and continue into Pisa, Italy --- Galileo Airport is a small, very accessible & manageable airport. Don't know what add'l destinations that BA has out of London to Italy. The smaller airports in Italy, such as Pisa or Florence or Genoa or Bologna or Naples can offer a good opportunity for an open jaws plan. Do check what you could do by partnering with Swiss Air. Sure that AA flys Chicago to Zurich, and I know Swiss Air has a Zurich-Milan hop.

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Patrick

Back to your original question. Assuming you are on flight #110 from Chicago to Rome, you will be on a 767 Wide body. Seating in coach is 2 seats, then 3 seats, then 2 seats, and about as comfortable as you can ever expect to get in a coach class seat thanks to American's expanded seating. You will be served dinner and then breakfast before arrival. Drinks and wine will be free. There will be movies, but not sure exactly what they are doing by then in coach. American has been experimenting with more and more individual movie viewers, and there was talk of even putting them in coach, but can't say one way or the other by this summer. Snacks? Well I'm sure you can get either some peanuts or pretzels.

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:10 PM
XXXI

Free booze in Coach??? And plenty of leg-room! Why does anyone fly 1st class or business?

Feb 13th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Tonyt

Patrick
Man you sure have sharp eyes, you're absolutely right. My mistake. I am starting in Denver to Chicago then #110 to Rome. Good catch. Can't fool you experts.

Feb 13th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Patrick

"Why does anyone fly first class or business?" Because the wine is better? Because there's even more leg room? Because you do get your choice of movies on private little DVD players? It's hard for me to imagine paying over $6000 to fly to Europe and back, yet that seems to be what a business class ticket costs. If it weren't for frequent flyer miles or special upgrades, I can't imagine why anyone would do it. But add me to the list who uses up my FF miles to upgrade or to claim free business class tickets when I stay too long to get any decent deal on a coach ticket to upgrade. Yes, there is still quite a difference between coach and business, but I must say the last time I flew coach on American, it was actually more comfortable than "Club Class" or Business on British Airways the year before.

Feb 13th, 2002, 08:45 PM
XXXI

For clarification...Please. American is okay for coach (better than British Airways, etc.) but $$ or flight miles for upgrades are even better......So Which is the best trans-continental carrier for upgrades or basic travel?

Feb 14th, 2002, 04:25 AM
d

International flights always give free booze in coach...no big deal.