Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   American airline flight cost to Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/american-airline-flight-cost-to-italy-432009/)

crystalnpat May 15th, 2004 12:42 PM

American airline flight cost to Italy

After shopping around at onetravel.com, I went to American Airlines and found the same flight for $30 less. It gave me a price of $750, including taxes. I know I could find a cheaper flight, but this is our first time overseas and comfort is important. Do you think this is a good deal or should I wait? The trip is for late September. Also, please share your opinions on AA and any other airlines.

Thanks.

marcy_ May 15th, 2004 01:00 PM

What city are you flying from?

crystalnpat May 15th, 2004 01:17 PM

Sorry, I'm flying from Boston.

rhkkmk May 15th, 2004 01:18 PM

its an ok amount...not great but not bad either...i judge this from east coast departures...if further west it may be a better rate...

amierican is ok in coach but not fabulous...all airlines are about the same to europe...it usually depends on the plane also...i find 777's more comfortable than some older planes and the airbuses are not bad either---A340 i think is the number??

tpatricco May 15th, 2004 01:25 PM

Crystalnpat, you might want to compare Continental's rates as well. I believe they are having a Europe fare sale right now with comparable rates in Business class, which would certainly be more comfy than coach. I skimmed the e-mail briefly, but since I can't go to Europe right now, deleted it. (It's ok, I'm leaving for St. John on Tuesday). Check www.continental.com for info. Alsom that $750 rate doesn't seem bad at all for summer travel to Europe from the east coast (I live in NJ near NYC) Going to Rome last time I paid close to $1000 for my ticket! Good Luck! Trish

rkkwan May 15th, 2004 04:51 PM

AA has more legroom than most airlines in coach, on all their 767/777 trans-Atlantic flights (i.e. except Boston-Manchester in a 757). Avoid that. They also have two non-stops to London and one non-stop to Paris from Boston, so you don't need to fly down to NYC to switch.

321sister May 15th, 2004 04:52 PM

check out intratours.com cheapair.com special fall rates

SUNSHINE1223 May 15th, 2004 05:00 PM

I have taken American twice to Paris and it will all depend on where you get your seats. It will really help if you get bulkhead seats for more leg room or exit rows. I think airfares will be high due to high fuel costs. I think if you keep looking you will see the rates go high and then go low.

That is just my opinion on American.

Budman May 15th, 2004 05:06 PM

Getting a good flight to Italy is hit or miss. Delta had a sale in February from Newark to Rome for $431. If you didn't jump on it that day, it was gone the next. I literally had to call my wife at work when I found out about it (on this forum) and make an on-the-spot decision to book. ((b))