Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ambra Palace Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ambra-palace-hotel-159277/)

Jeanne Feb 11th, 2002 06:31 AM

Ambra Palace Hotel

Does anyone have any info on the Ambra Palace Hotel in Rome? I'll be staying there in a few weeks.<BR><BR>Thanks

topper Feb 21st, 2002 03:34 PM

Any replies? I'll be out there too next week.

jeanne Mar 5th, 2002 11:36 AM

I also will be staying at the hotelin Mid March...any feedbAck

Marty Mar 5th, 2002 02:50 PM

Jeanne: Sorry I can't help you, but I am thinking of staying there this summer on a Go-Today tour. Let us know about location, etc., when you return, if you will.

topper Mar 8th, 2002 08:17 AM

We just returned from Rome and stayed at the Ambra Palace for 6 nights. Location is near the train station, and Santa Maria Maggiore basilica. You can walk to the Colisseum in about 20 minutes at a regular pace. You can walk anywhere during the day, but I'd recommend taking a taxi to get back to the hotel in the evening, the area does seem a little seedy at night. Daytime felt perfectly safe in that area. Across the street is a market, so if you need to buy anything you forgot to bring with you, you can get it there. The breakfasts were great, a big , wonderful selection consisting of various rolls, breaks, cakes, yogurt, juices, hot dishes such as eggs, cold cuts and cheese, canned fruits, tea, water, and wonderfully strong coffee. The desk staff and the concierge were very helpful and accomodating with our requests to get dinner reservations, check flight reservations, etc. The room was fairly nice, bathroom was a decent size, marble flooring. The beds were very firm. The floor of the rooom had an interesting felt texture. Maid service was great also, above and beyond anything I'd had in the US. They even folded our clothes that we left out. Overall, the room, service and breakfasts were wonderful, location was okay, and we'd stay there again if it was offered with go-today.com.

top Aug 9th, 2002 09:53 AM

For KandC and Bec

bec Sep 4th, 2002 12:51 PM

To all interested in this hotel.....read Topper's post. The description about the hotel is right on. It's a beautiful place and the service was excellent. I just got back a few days ago from staying there for 4 nights. The nighborhood was really scary though. Being a young woman, I felt very scared to walk around this area even with my friend day or night. There is no market of any kind across the street. Whatever the building was, it's now under construction. I recommend that you don't stay near the train station in Rome. It's not a good area, especially if your traveling alone.

Heather Sep 5th, 2002 08:23 AM

We also just returned from Italy and stayed at the Ambra Palace for 5 nights. We were very satisfied with the hotel and the services. In regards to the location- the neighborhood seems to be mainly Asian and Indian businesses. I wouldn't necessary call it "seedy" but much different than the typical tourist areas you encounter in other areas. On the upside, prices are much cheaper than in other areas- for instance you can buy a Coke for $.50 vs. $2.50 in other areas. As young female, I walked the area day and night and never felt threatened. I suppose it depends on your level of exposure to others cultures and countries. Personally I found the area refreshing after being around mass crowds of tourists all day.