Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Villa Fiorita in Taormina - good hotel choice?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Vicki Manocchio

We have reservations for 4 nights in April. Fiorita is listed in Karen Brown's Inn's book but I haven't seen much reference to it elsewhere. We will be using pubic transportation, so convenient location is a plus. Any opinions or other recommendations?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Monica

Hi Vicki. I stayed at the Villa Gaia in Taormina last May. The rooms are small but very cute. Each room has a small private balcony with a view of Mt. Edna. There's also stairs leading to the main street (Corso Umberto). Taormina is situated on top of a large hill and is small. As long as you stay in the town then you'll have no problems getting around on foot. Many of the streets around the center are stairways and it's fun to wander around. I plan on going back this May. I loved Taormina!! The views are breathtaking and an evening stroll is a must! I know that there are buses to Mt. Edna and you can also take a tram from Taormina to the beaches below. There is also a train station located near the beach with stops to major towns. Are there any other towns you're planning on visiting. Please email me if you would like more information.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:50 AM
Gina

Vicki, yes we stayed in the same hotel last December. Try to get Frommer's (not Fodor's)Italy 2001 where you will find a very accurate description of this place. It is a very quiet, small hotel with great views but not of Mt. ETNA. They serve very simple breakfast from 7:30 until 11:30. The lady who works at the desk during a day speak English and is very helpful. Just ask here for suggestions. Our room was small but with nice antiques and a safe. Each room has a refrigerator but it smells like it was never used. This was only one thing that we didn't like. We had a small terrace where we could sit and enjoy those amazing views. It is not a luxurious place but really nice. It is only 3-5 minutes walk to the center of the town. If you are looking for a great place to eat try Maffei's. It was our most expensive (around US $80.00 for two of us excluding drinks)and the best meal on our trip. We had a rental car so I do not know where are the bus or train stations but Villa Fiorita is so well appointed. When in Taormina I suggest you visit Greek Theatre early in the morning (opens at 9 am) when the sky is clear. You will have an amazing view of Mt. Etna. Also visit Villa Comunale Duca Colonna Di Cesaro which is a beautiful park and one morning before it gets too hot climb to see Sanctuary of Madonna della Rocca. It is much easier to get there than it seems when you look down from the center of Taormina. Unfortunately, the sanctuary was closed when we were there but go for the views. There are many other places that are wonderful to visit in Taormina. Villa Fiorita is located just across a street from a tram which will transport you down to the beach. We weren't too impressed with beach but it was off season. We are plannig on going back to Sicily next year in March and will definietly stay there again. Any other questions? We also visited Siracusa, Agrigento, Cefalu, Erice, Palermo, and a few places in between.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Nancy

Gina, we are looking into visiting Sicily this year. Where did you pick up your rental car..and how was the driving? Would love to hear more about your trip..What were your favorite places..how long was your visit? Thanks

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 11:14 AM
Gina

Nancy:
In the end of last week I tried to post the answer to your questions and for some reason it never got posted. I gave up. If you are still interested in my trip report send me e-mail to my private accont [email protected] and I will e-mail you our 6-page travel journal from Sicily. You will find there the answers to your questions regarding driving, rental car, places my husband and I visited and more.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:48 PM
kathy

We will be in Sicily in March and got good prices flying Alitalia from Milan to Catania and picking up rental car there.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Gina

thanks for the info on Villa Fiorita. I am looking forward to staying there. Can you suggest some good local restaurants in Taormina, or nearby towns? We have a fairly large group (11). Moderate price but good food would be preferable. Any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Gina

I think I do have a suggestion to the above question but someone who asked this question is using my name and my e-mail address. Whoever you are please post under your own name. Thanks