Reload this Page >

Amboise-Le Vieux Manoir or Le Manoir les Minimes

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am trying to decide between Le Manoir les Minimes and Le Vieux Manoir for our 5 night stay in Amboise.

The Fodorites are much more in love with Le Manoir les Minimes as I have searched the message board for both. Trip Advisor seems to like both (although more people have stayed at Le Manoir les Minimes).

I was wondering if anyone can compare the two?

We are looking for a romantic spot as a base for the chateau region, but within walking distance of the center of the town. Le Manoir les Minimes is a bit more expensive and includes a few fancier touches (bathrobes ect.) but we just want to feel comfortable in a French like manner and not among "overly-wealthy" travelers.

In short, we would like a special place for a memorable stay. I am sure that both places are fine, but I was hoping that someone had an objective view of the two.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:22 AM

I vote for Minimes if you have a car to park. It is just off a D-road and you don't have to drive through the narrow town-center streets, as you would for Vieux Manoir.
Both are very walkable to the Chateau and Clos Luce, and restaurants...
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Staying at les Minimes does not mean you will feel "overly wealthy" ...I think it might be time for you to adjust THAT concept and change it into "we DESERVE it."

It will be a "special place for a memorable stay." More expensive and worth every penny...and be SURE to wear those bathrobes at least once while you are there. Say "Hi" to the dog-in-residence also.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Yeah, I didn't quite pick up on your comment about "overly wealthy". Trust me, while Minimes is a very nice establishment, comfortable and of good quality, being there does not make you feel surrounded by 'wealthy types'. We are budget travelers for the most part and did not feel the least bit 'out of place' at Minimes. The rooms are nice but not 'luxurious', the house is beautifully furnished but still has a 'lived in' feel, and the staff is very cordial and warm but not stuffy.
They have a pc set up in the 'parlor' where you can access your email at no charge. (you might need to ask, as they had to open the system for me).
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Hello!

I hope that I did offend anyone by my "overly-wealthy" comment.

I just meant that my wife and I are budget travelers who might rent bikes in Amboise, picnic a bit, and we do not go to fancy restaurants for lunches and dinners each day.

Having said that however, we are looking for a nice place in Amboise and appreciate each and every comment so far about these two hotels.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 08:49 AM

My husband, son, & I stayed at Le Manoir les Minimes and loved it! The location with a rental car was ideal. It was within walking distance of everything we wanted to see & do in Amboise. We were delighted with our room as well as the entire manor. The management couldn't have been more patient in providing specific driving directions to our next destination, the Westin at Versailles, by calling ahead to ensure he was correct. We were there in March and the price seemed a very good value for the type of accommodation provided.
Lisa
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 11:29 AM

To the top
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 12:00 PM

My husband and I stayed at Le Vieux Manoir in 2003. The owners are an American couple, the Belknaps, who were very gracious, and provided us with reservations for restaurants, and tips on sightseeing. The room was small, but lovely, with a modernized private bath. If I were to go there again, I might want to try a place that is operated by someone French, as part of the pleasure for me on a trip to France is the opportunity to practice my French. That said, the accomodations were very comfortable and some people might prefer that the hosts are American.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the advice given. As usual, this forum provides valuable information.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM

I can't really compare the two places, as I only stayed in the Manoir les Minimes. But I just wanted to chime in that it is really a wonderful place to stay, and the location is great, with parking in their courtyard, and lovely views from the rooms. I would love to stay there again! (I loved the resident dog, too!)
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 02:31 PM
ktw

We just got back from Amboise, and stayed at Le Manior les Minimes. Great location, parking, linens, beds, very clean and our room had a great tub and shower. We paid 125E a night which was the off season rate.

They have a limited bar, tea service and the breakfast was no big deal 13E for pastries, juice, coffee, moldy grapes, prepackaged cheese and butter.

We also did not get the warm fuzzy
feeling about the staff that is mentioned in past posts. We felt that they were pushing a restaurant, les leys (sp?). We relented, it was not that good and suspect that they may have a investment in it. I would do a restaurant search, prior.

Finally the Manoir was getting ready to close for the winter, so if you are planning to go soon it may be closed.

I hope this helps.