Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amboise-Le Manoir des Minimes-- Please tell me about your stay and help with sightseeing and car rental advice

Search

Amboise-Le Manoir des Minimes-- Please tell me about your stay and help with sightseeing and car rental advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read good comments about this Loire Valley Manor, and would like some advice in sorting out the various types of rooms. My question--which rooms have a seating area, and is the prestige suite big enough for a third adult(my husband's son) to stay in the same room, or should we reserve a separate room?<BR> We will only have 2 days after our 4 days in Paris, and plan to visit Chambord, and Chenonceau, and perhaps visit a winery. We will leave Paris on May 19th, a Monday, and must go to London on Wednesday.<BR><BR>We've thought of renting a car, and stopping in Chartres for Malcolm Miller's 12 o'clock tour, then on to Amboise. We could tour one chateau on Monday, then do a chateau and a winery on Tuesday. Please tell me if this is a reasonable plan, and suggest some restaurants. <BR><BR>We will be staying near the Passy Metro in Paris; should we rent the car near there, or take the train to Chartres and pick up a car for 2 days in and around Amboise?<BR>Thanks, Barb
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:16 PM

Just a thought, leave out the winery,see the chateau in Amboise, le clos Luce in Amboise,Chambord, Cheverny, Chenonceau and perhaps Blois. Be sure to see one ( my suggestion Chambord or Blois) after dark for the light show. <BR>Also rent the car outside of Paris if you have never driven in France, if you have, rent at Gare Montparnassee and take Boul. Maine to the autoroute to Chartres. It's a right hand turn out of the Gare and then straight to the autoroute. parking in Chartres is not too bad, lots of metered parking on the streets near the cathedral.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input--I have driven in Paris and to LeMans before, but of course traffic around Paris is awful.<BR>I've just received info that Les Minimes is fully booked for our days, so I'm back to the drawing board for accommodation. Any ideas for a non-chain hotel for 3 adults( we would rent a suite or 2 rooms if necessary)<BR>We prefer to spend around 300 euro for a suite, or 150 per room for 2 rooms. Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:30 AM

Don't try to see too much in less time. You'll get a castle indigestion. <BR>Chambord is the biggest and not to miss. While you are in Chambord, you could also see Cheverny, at app. 15 km from there. That is a very special castle, because still occupied.(= the one of Cptain Haddock from Tintin) Try not to miss the moment the haunds get their food (at 5pm), you won't regret that view. I'ts known as an attraction!<BR>The next day you could do Chenonceaux. and when you'll not castle-tired yet, Amboise. <BR>Just like DougP adviced, I would skip the winery.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 04:57 AM

I will try to answer questions about the Manor. We stayed there and enjoyed it very much. It is a very nice house, with a large main floor, used for reception and breakfast room (I think the owners may live on this level as well). A long, curving staircase leads to the second floor, where our room was. Our room overlooked the front courtyard, and was very large. It was L shaped, with a sofa and tables in the short part of the L, which overlooked the courtyard. Very nice funiture, excellent bed, and nice large and well done bath. Very good room. The sofa was not a hide-a-bed. I am not sure how well this room would work for three adults. There is a private &quot;garden house&quot; in the main courtyard, which is rentable as well. I am not sure if it has more than one bedroom, but you might check on that. You will find the owner be quite pleasant and helpful. As I recall his name was Eric. The breakfast served is typical French breakfast of coffee, tea, juice, bread, jams and cheeses. However, it is very good and a convenient way to start your day.<BR><BR>If you do have car, there is secured parking in the front courtyard (you are given an opener for the gates, like a garage door opener). It is easy to drive from Amboise to the other sites you mention. Your time will be busy but you will enjoy. I will pass along a hint for a place to eat that we enjoyed. In the center of the river, just across from the Manor, is a small lounge called le Shaker, serving good beer, good cocktails, and good bar food. You can walk across the bridge and then turn right and walk down the river to it, or you can drive over. However, when we drove it was very difficult to find a place to park. It is a good place. <BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:38 AM

Barb<BR>The perfect place for you to stay is Le Vieux Manoir in Amboise. I, along with Fodor, Karen Brown, and Rick Steves highly recommend staying there. See their web site....www.le-vieux-manoir.com. Fodors-&quot;Don't you dare visit the Loire Valley and not stay there.&quot;<BR>They do have a two bedroom suite with living room suite for 3-4, but they normally require a 3 night stay in that suite.<BR>You could stop at Chambord on your way to Amboise on Monday, but this means a later arrival in Amboise.<BR>For Monday night dinner have Gloria,American owner of Le Vieux Manoir, describe the restaurants in Amboise, and choose one. She will make a reservation for you. You can stroll to dinner and take in a view of the chateau and see the town. It will be too early in the season to see the Son et lumiere.<BR>On Tues morning you can visit Chenonceau and in the afternoon a winery tour near Amboise, or another chateau and/or le clos Luce. Gloria will help with your days plan and give you maps and other advice. For dinner have Gloria make a reservation at the Michelin star restaurant in a local village across the river.<BR>As in all vacations, you need one or more extra days in the Loire Valley.<BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Gary
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:52 AM

I would look into staying at Le Choiseul, a beautiful property in Amboise. And even if you don't stay there, do try to have dinner there.<BR>You can easily take the train to Chartres, take the noon tour, thenpick up a rental car there for the ride to Amboise - that would probably be easier than navigating out of Paris, although the ride to Chartres is pretty straightforward.<BR>
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information. We have booked two rooms at Le Vieux Manoir, and will ask them to make a dinner reservation at Le Choiseul.<BR><BR>I'm still trying to sort out my car rental, but everyone has been a big help.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:13 PM

My girlfriend and I traveled around that area 20 years (yikes!) ago. We rented bikes and stopped at a little ma and pa type winery while biking to Amboise. What a favorite memory. Don't give up the winery part!