Search

Ambien or Valium? I hate to fly!

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
spk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ambien or Valium? I hate to fly!

Traveling from JFK to Rome FCO on June 10th. I love to travel but hate to fly! I have never taken an Ambien, and usually take a valium when I fly. I don't like to drink when I fly. Because the trip is so long, I was considering taking the Ambien to sleep. Suggestions please. What works for you?
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Can I suggest you jumo across to the Australia forum and read the thread "How to deal with the jet lag?" - there's a discussion there about melatonin in particular that you might find useful.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:35 PM

I wouldn't take anything (especially a drug like Ambien that is known to cause amnesia, as in not being able to remember anything that happened to you during that 8 hrs) without first seeing how it would affect me at home.

A pharmacist I work with swears by it for his overseas flights, but I'm afraid I'd sleepwalk to the galley and start eating.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM

What about using Benadryl or one of those over the counter pain relievers that make you drowsy?
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Everyone reacts differently, so I'm not sure a consensus would help you all that much. I will say that Ambien is very popular, but it makes me edgy, not sleepy. I don't have a particular problem with the idea of flying myself, but am not good at all at sitting still for long periods of time. Tend to get increasingly fidgety and restless as the flight wears on. Ambien really made that problem much worse in a hurry. So, I learned next time to try it before I fly it. Xanax helps, but now I really try to only take them when necessary - lately that's usually only on the long 20+ hr flights to Australia or Asia. But it's effective pretty quickly once I decide to take it, so it's good to hold off in case it's not needed.

Xanax he
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:29 PM

I agree with the above comment from stokebailey -- don't take Ambien without a 'test run' at home first.

I did take it last year for the Chicago-London leg of my flight to Europe. I had tried it at home with no weird side effects and a good result - slept great.

But when I took it once onboard the plane from Chicago-London, I went out, according to my friend, like a light (I had had a cocktail a few hours earlier on the first US leg of my flight, which may have made the effect a little stronger)and was completely conked out, not a pretty sight I am sure, for the next 7 hours. I woke up as coffee was being served pre-arrival in London...felt fine.

However, upon returning a month later to the US from Madrid alone, I definitely did not take the Ambien...I did not feel confident taking it without a companion with me.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM

If you're thinking of using Ambien for sleep on the plane (which I use with good results), make sure you try it out beforehand. I took 1/2 Ambien for sleep last night and our neighbor's house burned down and I didn't know about it until I looked out the window this morning! I'm not kidding--the stuff is fullproof (for me) for sleep, but it may affect you differently!
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM

I LOVE Ambien...I hate flying too!!
I usually take it with my meal on overseas flights....it gives me enough time to have my dinner and wait for the FA to take up the plates...then, I tell my dh or traveling compainions nighty-night and I am out when my head hits the seat....fantastic! And, I'm a problem sleeper....

However, I am traveling to Ireland by myself on May 28 and wondering if I should take it if I am by myself....I am thinking not...in fact, my Dr. told she would not give it to me if I was going to take it and travel alone....waaaah! (of course I still have a handful left) It helps me not worry about every dip and bump and noise!
Shadow
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:26 AM

Ambioen doesn't work for me but Melatonin does; try them at home first.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:35 AM

Like everyone says, take it at home first.

But try to take it during the time you will be flying, meaning if it is a morning flight and you just want to sleep through it; it may have an odd effect b/c in this case, the medicine isn’t working with your sleep pattern it is working against it. So try it during the day. If it is a night flight, then take it on a test run at night.

Do not use the Ambien CR if your flight is shorter than 7 hours. The “CR” stands for controlled release, I think. Either way, this version of Ambien lasts much longer and is in your system longer too. DO NOT cut the “CR” version in half, to do so could cause problems. Many ppl go to their doctors and ask for Ambien, and get this newer version. Ask for the regular version (it is cheaper too).

I preferred good old Valium. I am a problem sleeper anyway, and flying makes it worse. The best thing to do is try it out a few times during the time of day you will fly. A good doctor won’t hesitate to give you enough to test out for safety reasons, and a good doctor won’t hesitate to give you something else if the first one doesn’t work the way you want it to.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Just for clarification, Valium is basically an anti-anxiety medication which happens to have a muscle-relaxant effect and has also been used in dentistry to induce sedation and also is used as a treatment for epilepsy.

Ambien is a definite sedative-hypnotic.

A really "good" physician won't prescribe anything just because you want it.
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:47 AM
spk
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. My doctor prescribed the regular Ambien and told me to try it out at home first. I have always taken valium because it reduces my stress about the flying, but it doesn't make me sleep. My flight to Rome is an evening flight, so I thought sleeping would be a good thing. It's hard to imagine being relaxed enough to sleep on the plane. So I am still unsure.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:51 AM

And I remain puzzled that so many people seek chemical solutions to their problems. I know this sounds like a ridiculously old-fashioned notion, but has anyone thought of dealing with the problem (which on the scale of life's various sufferings rates pretty low) without pills?

JFK to FCO? That's "long"? Ambien? Valium? Oh, please.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would stick with the Valium. For a long flight take 2 (depending on the mg. you have). You have used it before. It's effects are more predictable than Ambien.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:31 AM

I am a horrible flyer. start freaking out days before, but also love to travel. I go with xanax. It just takes the edge off. For a long flight maybe extended release.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Always used to take xanax & it works the way you describe - pleasant & relaxing, some light snoozing, but no real sleep.

Tried ambien last transatlantic trip & it worked great - nice restful 5-6 hour sleep, arrived rested for a change.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Neil_Oz~
I know you mean well but unless you have a real fear of flying you cannot imagine what that person goes through so we can't always just deal with it. Ambien will make you sleep but it won't take away that anxiety you feel when you're aboard the plane. I've always taken Xanax and stand by it. When I want to take the edge off, I take two .25 mg tablets and when I want to sleep most of a flight 6-8 hrs., I take 1 mg. I did manage to deal with it and sought out professional help but would I fly without Xanax? No way. It's better than being "In Hell in your head" for the duration of the flight.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Neil_OZ, this is one of those real simple answers... if you don't approve of pharmaceutical drugs, don't take 'em.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM

If you want to relax, lorazepam; if you want to sleep, Ambien. In general I would avoid the benzos, however.

Has anyone here been prescribed Lunesta? Lots of advertising for it but I haven't met anyone who's used it.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Skip the Benadryl; it will dry out your nose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -