Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amazing Race 9 Week 4 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amazing-race-9-week-4-a-601299/)

Keith Mar 22nd, 2006 04:26 AM

Amazing Race 9 Week 4

What a great episode. I've never laughed this hard at any other episode. Not the staged humor of the detour, but the genuine good humor of the teams. The teams are getting along and having a lot of fun.

And the elimination ending - one of the closest we have seen. And though I don't hate any team, the least appealing lost.

"It just goes to show that its not over until the Phil sings!"

Keith

Amanda23 Mar 29th, 2006 08:59 AM

My favorite part was when the hippies gave the laundry to the old Sicilian lady and then kissed her! That was hilarious! They are definitely my favorite team...

Liz2005 Mar 29th, 2006 09:16 AM

Dang it! I was really hoping Lake and Michelle would be eliminated. :) Lake just gets on my nerves a little too much. I was not surprised to see D & D out though. THey just couldn't keep up from the start.

Has anyone been to Il Teatro (the pit stop last night). It looked so beautiful I just couldn't believe there were no tourists in sight.

abbynicole27 Mar 29th, 2006 09:26 AM

Wow - that sure made me want to go to Sicily - even more than I did before.

I bear no ill-will towards the girls, but if it had to be them or Ray and Yolanda, I am soooo glad they went! Like others, my preference would've been Lake and Michelle. Or the perverted frat boys, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I think this season is showing that it's more skill than luck - because the skilled racers are always ending up in the front, even when things are evened out.

soccr Mar 29th, 2006 09:32 AM

I'll be happy when both the horned-toad Doods and Lake get eliminated, but suspect others will go first. The Goodsport Geezers keep making dim-dum mistakes, and some of the others need a map (and a pronouncing gazeteer). The Pinks were doomed from the start, but no one ever (well, hardly ever) uses the Yield very intelligently.

But I love the places they're going this season. Ready for Sicily, for sure -- breathtaking!

bennyb Mar 29th, 2006 09:45 AM

One of the teams wanted a ticket to "Palomino, Sicily" and I kept wondering where that was. But then they corrected themselves . . . and asked for "Palamo" Sicily.

You can't write that kind of entertainment.

DejaVu Mar 29th, 2006 10:11 AM

When those girls made that crack about "hicks from the South" I thought, "I want them GONE!" Buh-bye.

Great episode. The hippies are awesome! Again--spoke the local language--bravo! And anytime a Classical Greek temple is a pit stop is a big plus in my book. :-)

JJ5 Mar 29th, 2006 10:56 AM

My grandparents came to the USA from Palermo and have large number of offspring in Chicago. The girl that welcomed them to Italy at the pit stop looks like a twin of my cousin's youngest daughter.

Ah, I'm going to get there yet.

I hope someone Yields Lake/Michelle and they lose because of it. It would be great poetic justice.

I'm cheering for Yolanda & Ray but they better stop rushing around without asking direction or looking at a map. They were LUCKY not to have been going to the wait resort after last night's leg.

I liked Mo/Jo until last night- is she something with her pronunciations! They haven't been taping them audio much in the first 3 or 4 shows and I wondered why. Now I don't.

Great show- and I'm amazed that so many don't even try to say Please or Thank You in the language. I would in ANY dialect- and learn it quick. Only a few dankas or grazias. Or hardly a bitte or prego.

abbynicole27 Mar 29th, 2006 02:47 PM

Actually Benny, it's Palermo =)

klam_chowder Mar 29th, 2006 03:02 PM

Go Hippies!! They were the only team that consistently greeted and gave pleasantries in local languages! Tho, I was happy to see more teams make an effort. Amazing they could play in the wheelchairs (while Lake & partner went to the Internet cafe) and still book that ticket first on-line.

Obviously Ray's knowledge of anatomy paid off as he quickly put the statue together. I thought it was funny that he was trying to psych out the Double-D's by telling them how close he was to finishing. I knew that even if they were a minute behind in finishing he and Yolanda could probably out-run the girls to the pit stop.

I really like the 2 extra pieces to the statue puzzle and was extremely surprised that the only team that seemed to get caught on it was the nerds.

I'm disliking the way the older couple are playing the race now:
1. at the airport they told the other team to move back while they got their tickets, but at other ticket counters they have been right up against the other teams.
2. when Lake showed up at the pit stop early and he asked the older couple where the "teatro" was, they said they couldn't tell them. If there was ANY threat of the team asking for help of beating them, then I think it's fair play. It was clear that the old couple were not threatened in any way since they were already at the classical Greek temple. Their play was mean-spirited (not to mention not strategic).

So far this is a great season of AR!

Abbynicole27 - I think that was Benny's point! (=

(BTW, I think we should post with the date in the title (instead of episode number) as this is actually a thread for last week.)

Enjoy-la!

LCBoniti Mar 29th, 2006 03:21 PM

OK, I am in the "I can't stand Lake" camp! When he said something about being ahead of "the fat guy", that was the last straw.

And then when the nerd couple was so emotional about being short with each other, it just was really sweet.

But I definitely agree with everyone who loves the hippies. They are consistantly good-natured and appreciative of everywhere they go. And they get the karma thing: what goes around comes around, so they didn't "yield" anyone. I hope Lake finds that out the hard way.

Bubba2 Mar 29th, 2006 04:26 PM

I agree that Lake is really obnoxious.

One thing I've always wondered about the show - when they arrive in a new country, I assume that they have to go through immigration and customs along with the rest of the passengers. Could result in a delay, unless the way is "greased" for them.

Good episodes so far.

swandav2000 Mar 30th, 2006 02:48 AM

Hi All,

Like a lot of you folks, I'm really hoping the "hippies" win this thing. But really, there's a lot more to the hippies than you might imagine. I got the brief bio from the cbs.com website, and this is what I found out.

They met while on a Semester at Sea program, and both of them speak many languages (so it's no mystery why we often see them conversing in the local language!). BJ graduated from Harvard while Tyler spent one semester in Hungary and another in South Africa before graduating from UC Santa Cruz. Tyler also walked the 2,000-length of Japan to impress a girl! (All this info is from the cbs.com website.)

Clearly, these guys are not the light-weights they may appear to be!! I love it that they travel with such joy and light-heartedness -- and yet with such skill.

GO, hippies, GO!!

s

sandi Mar 30th, 2006 03:52 AM

Lake has got to go. Rude, nasty, and disrespectful.

The hippies really aren't, more like 14-yr olds who haven't grown into their cloths yet. Speaking of which they have no sense of, but they're so smart and always seem to be enjoying themselves. It's refreshing.

Though it may have appeared that Fran was rude to Lake, I believe, she just doesn't like him; not wanting him hovering over her... she wanted her space.

And Yolanda had better look at a map before they go riding off to the wrong place.

Thought this might have been one of the non-elimination rounds for the double-DDs, but guess not.

Now, hoping that Lake really messes up and it outta there soon.

Keith Mar 30th, 2006 04:16 AM

I understand that the crowd over at television without pity, hate the hippies. Go figure!

I liked the extra pieces to the statue making the racers have to think. More like the clues that had to be puzzled out in earlier seasons.

Keith

sandi_travelnut Mar 30th, 2006 05:45 AM

I am more and more fond of the hippies and their attitudes. Again, the only ones that said please and thank you in the local language (that makes, Russian, German, Italian...) also, when Phil said that he had good news since they were the first team, the hippies said "We get to eat a pizza pie?!"..priceless.

JJ5 Mar 30th, 2006 06:24 AM

At the beginning of this Race 9, I just laughed when they were dubbed "the hippies". There is little hippish about them. They are WEALTHY- trust fund babies is my guess, and have had the silver spoon travel and education since shortly after birth. BIG ADVANTAGE.

For those of you who don't know. Hippies were the most slow and laid back un-competitive people you can imagine. They'd still be back in Germany looking at the colors in the inside/each other dolls. Their clothes and hair, except for length, TOTALLY different. For one thing all the hippies I knew never had it flying out all over like that because it was all stuck together and flat from "natural" grease.

DejaVu Mar 30th, 2006 07:43 AM

I hadn't read the bio about the "hippies." That's really interesting -- their backgrounds clearly make them the best qualified to do this show well. Since they have extensive travel experience between them, it's no wonder they are able to keep a positive attitude and not get bent out of shape over little things.

Keith Mar 30th, 2006 08:02 AM

That is only a little of the story about Tyler. He is famous in Japan.

Keith

Lori Mar 30th, 2006 08:18 AM

The only thing good about this season's A.R. is the scenery. I really thought the contestants playing around with wheelchairs at the airport was tacky to say the least.