Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amazing Discoveries in Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amazing-discoveries-in-tuscany-673823/)

fairoakschris Jan 25th, 2007 06:49 PM

Amazing Discoveries in Tuscany

I've been to Florence three times and Tuscany twice. As my lovely wife and I head back for two weeks this summer, what not-to-be missed discoveries have you made that you might share. Not the guideboook stuff, but those amazing sights, restaurants, locations that you just can't get out of your mind now that you are back home. Cheers.

fairoakschris Jan 25th, 2007 07:54 PM

Better start with one of my own then. The Cantinetta Di Greve is a great enotecca. It's a great overview of all the wines of Tuscany. I thought it would be cheesy, but it was very fun. It has automated dispensing machines and you can taste close to a hundred types and varieties, plus olive oil and desert wines. There is a charge, but I went with a wine tasting expert friend and we both loved it.

luvtotravel Jan 25th, 2007 10:28 PM

A restaurant in Cortona.
www.osteria-del-teatro.it/index_E.html

dgg Jan 26th, 2007 11:51 AM

Dining at teh Osteria del Castello in Gaiole. Seamus de Pentheny O'Kelly is the lively, shall I say character, chef who holds cooking classes. His food is fabulous and the atmosphere fun. The restuarant caters to locals as well as tourists. Everyone in the area seemed to know Seamus!

fairoaksjim Jun 19th, 2007 06:46 AM

Our trip is just two weeks away so I thought I'd try to start this up again. Thanks for all your help so far.

My biggest find from the archives has been Stu's detailed driving tour in Southern Tuscany. Really looking forward to that one

Traviata Jun 19th, 2007 06:57 AM

fairoaks,

If you have a car, I highly recommend a trip to the pristine little town of Montone. It is in Umbria, but fairly close to Cortona, should you be nearby. We stayed at the lovely Locanda del Capitano and fell in love with it. The restaurant is top notch..one of our very best meals...and, there are virtually no tourists..it is quiet and peaceful with amazing views.

fairoaksjim Jun 19th, 2007 07:11 AM

Traviata,

We will have a car and will be staying at Capricci di Merion near Lake Trasimeno. I have located Montone on the map. Is the restaurant part of Locanda del Capitano?

Traviata Jun 19th, 2007 07:14 AM

fairoaks,

Yes. It is in a lovely, small dining room.....very elegant, very upscale...wonderful host and hostess who happen to be the owners and live right there. I think you won't be disappointed.

sandi_travelnut Jun 19th, 2007 07:15 AM

Not a restaurant, but a sight as you also requested; climb to the top of the tallest tower in San Gimignano. For a small fee, you will get a breathtaking view of some of the most scenic Tuscan landscape.

macanimals Jun 19th, 2007 07:17 AM

Fairoaks,
You are probably already aware of the Fortezza in Montalcino and their rather complete offerings of wines of the region, particularly Brunellos. It is a very authentic setting and the staff will go the extra mile to make certain you can explore the offerings. I've had good experiences there and you can obtain maps of the locations of the individual wineries in the area and make arrangements to visit.
San Antimo is a very old abbey south of Montalcino which is a must visit for the scenery and the chanting. It also is very near some excellent vintners. Banfi is not far away as well.
Have fun. Paul

fairoaksjim Jun 19th, 2007 07:21 AM

Paul,
Do you have one incredible Brunello producer you would recommend to visit? Although enotecas are fun, We love wine tasting at the wineries
Jim

job816 Jun 19th, 2007 07:22 AM

bookmarking for Sept '07 trip

maryanne1 Jun 19th, 2007 08:05 AM

Castello Vicchiomaggio, a beautiful Villa, near Greve where one could stay or experience a wine tasting experience. It overlooks the vineyards with a fantastic view.

vetralla Jun 19th, 2007 08:13 AM

There are some wonderful historic villas and spas that make the voyage well worth it. See www.elegantetruria.com for photos, articles and itineraries in Tuscany & N. Lazio.

fairoaksjim Jun 19th, 2007 08:21 AM

vetralla,

Thanks. Your website looks fantastic. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

tmoon Jun 19th, 2007 08:50 AM

fairoakschris,
For excellent Brunello I would visit both Fattoria dei Barbi and Poggio Antico wineries. Both also offer excellent tours of their operations. I enjoyed Fattoria dei Barbi more as it is a smaller family run operation (wine tastings were free here also). Have a great trip!!

fairoaksjim Jun 19th, 2007 08:54 AM

tmoon,

Exactly the kind of recommendation we were looking for! Grazie.

worldtalker Jun 19th, 2007 09:29 AM

And take the iJourneys iPod Walking Tour of Florence. You will see things and learn things I promise you didn't already know. It's really fun and a great way to tune out the hordes of other tourists, too.

vetralla Jun 19th, 2007 09:56 AM

Thanks fairoaks for your kudos. Another great wine estate to visit is Terre di Nano, see my site for the link.

macanimals Jun 19th, 2007 10:43 AM

fairoaksjim,
Re: one incredible brunello producer.
My take on that is it really depends on your personal tastes in wine-particularly, brunellos. They come in all flavors-rustic, tannic, mellow and hearty and some with all those qualities. Also, they are "built" for the long term and to be cellared. My visits to individual wineries include Barbi, Banfi and Tenuta di Sesta. Banfi is clearly set up for tasting and presentation but lacks an intimacy, Barbi is smaller and more personal but not my taste, Sesta was very remote and rural.
My best advice is to taste at the Fortezza or Osticcio in Montalcino and then seek out your favorite. It is best to call ahead to get a feel for their ability to assist you. A good resource is www.consorziobrunellodimontalcino.it/
it lists all producers and their contacts.
I realize that all this takes time from your trip but I haven't figured out another way. I'll be returning to the area (week apartment in Montepulciano) in September and am already trying to schedule visits. Its all good though! Cin Cin Paul