Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi "virgin" - need advice! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-virgin-need-advice-459316/)

DanielleG Jul 12th, 2004 06:53 PM

Amalfi "virgin" - need advice!

Author: DanielleG
Date: 07/12/2004, 07:12 pm

Great posts! I'm hoping to get a few responses to my upcoming (early August) trip questions:

I know August is miserable for European travel, and very touristed, but it's the only time I can get away. I have 10 days to play with..planning on spending 4 or 5 in Rome. For the other 5 - would love to go someplace with beautiful views, great walks, cafes, nature. I'm a "settle in, relax and explore" person than jumping from place to place. (I also hate to drive).

My thought is to go to Capri but stay in Anacapri to avoid crowds. I also love the idea of Ravello, which sounds amazing, but is it worth 4 days? If not, is it easily accessible from Capri?

Am I on the right track? Also, has anyone stayed at Villa Eva in Capri, or Villa Amore in Ravello? Or do you know of cheap alternatives (under 130 Euros a night)

Other have suggested Ischia...at this point, my head is spinning.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jamikins Jul 12th, 2004 07:03 PM

Hi Danielle,

i cannot help as I have never been to the Amalfi Coast. But you dont need to post twice. Just click on your name, go into your original post and type "topping" and click post my reply. It will bring your original back to the top!

kismetchimera Jul 12th, 2004 07:09 PM

Congratulations Danielle,

Is almost a rare thing to find a Virgin nowadays:):)

Grinisa Jul 13th, 2004 09:07 AM

The Amalfi Coast and Capri will indeed be crowded in August and you won't escape the crowds in Anacapri, although it will be a bit better there. If you are going in three weeks or so, I would grab whatever hotel still has openings at this late date and consider yourself lucky to have found a place to stay. If you like walks and nature, I'd pick Capri over Ravello. There are hydrofoils from Capri to Amalfi several times a day and from there you can take a bus up to Ravello if you want to do a day trip.

Jackie Jul 13th, 2004 09:17 AM

I was in Capri recently and found it to be my least favorite place and not one that I would return to. Have you thought about staying in Positano and then day tripping to Ravello and Capri? I found Capri to be too crowded and very overpriced. On the otherhand, Ravel was too quiet.

ira Jul 13th, 2004 09:53 AM

Hi Danielle,

With less than a month to go, you will find it difficult to find accomodations. Get started right now.

Five days on Capri might get boring. You have to take the ferries back and forth, and they don't run well into the night.

I suggest you stay on the mainland and overnight in Capri.

GAC Jul 13th, 2004 11:06 AM

Villa Amore in Ravello is an excellent budget choice (one of two or three in town). However, it's a very steep walk with luggage, and the hotel may or may not have porterage service from the town square (as it's very small and family run). So, travel light, as no cars can get anywhere near Villa Amore.

greecube Jul 13th, 2004 11:47 AM

I agree with Ira. Stay on the mainland in one of the towns nearby (Sorrento, Positano), and take a ferry to Capri. You can do plenty in a day on Capri. Lots of fun.

DanielleG Jul 15th, 2004 03:46 PM

Thank you so much for all your advice. Indeed, I'm trying to get a hotel and it's slim pickings. (so much for being spontaneous). Any ideas of a good hotel in Positano that's under 140E?

Again, many thanks!

ira Jul 16th, 2004 07:22 AM

Hi Danielle,

We very much liked our stay at the Hotel Le Sirene in Positano (6 km east of Positano)

www.lesirene.com

kismetchimera Jul 16th, 2004 11:59 AM

6 km, is over 2 miles..Did you have a car ira?
Are there any buses services around?
The prices of this hotel are very reasonable,but I wonder how convenient will be without a car.

kismetchimera Jul 17th, 2004 06:40 AM

ttt

ira Jul 17th, 2004 06:47 AM

Hi Kismet,

There is an orange bus that travels between Positano and Praiano as well as the SITA bus that comes through Praiano on its way between Sorrento and Amalfi.

Tess_Durberville Jul 17th, 2004 07:40 AM

The best choice in Positano for your price range is the Villa Rosa --- and during the time you plan to travel (high season), the doubles are 140 euros. As for any hotels that are lower, there's the La Bougainville. It's a place that's listed in Rick Steves'; I've walked by it and it's on same street as VR, however I can't recall if it's got rooms w/view. And when staying in Positano, that's a must IMHO.

Good website to identify other options in this area is www.venere.com. Also, check http://www.ciaociaoitaly.com.

jck4 Jul 28th, 2004 03:55 PM

does anyone know if villa amore has a website/email contact?