Capri/Blue Grotto for 1 day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a Princess cruise the beginning of October and the ship will be docking for 1 day (7 am to 6 pm) in Naples. We have been to Italy before and seen Pompei, stayed in Positano and visited Sorrento and Ravello but were not able to go to Capri. I was thinking we could do that this time. The ship's shore excursion goes to Capri but not to the Blue Grotto. I figure if I'm going to Capri I should see the Grotto. So that means we will need to do it on our own. First of all, is it even worth doing? Second of all, can we do it on our own in the allotted time or would it be too close a call?
The only other alternative is for us to explore Naples on our own but I've heard that is not a very good idea.
I would really appreciate some input.
Thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM

At the harbor in Capri, you can purchase tickets to tour the Blue Grotto and/or the entire island of Capri. Like you, we only had one day and much of it was taken up by circling the island. However <<cheesy>> as it may be, it is definitely worth seeing the Blue Grotto. But I would skip the entire tour and spend more time on shore.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:42 AM

Hi Almond - You can easily do it on your own.

There are frequent hydrofoils between Napoli Beverello and Capri. For timetables see:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 03:46 AM

We recently spent a week in Naples & it was so good we will go back.

But just for one day, if I hadn't been to Capri, I'd choose Capri. You have loads of time. You could join a tour including the Blue Grotto from the marina & maybe you'd find that easiest. Or if you'd prefer to explore on your own, you could get the bus or funicular up to Capri Town, explore that, then get the bus to Anacapri & go up in the chairlift (if it's open - it never has been when I've been there), then get another bus to the Blue Grotto. You just walk down some steps & wait for a small boat to pick you up - IMO quicker & easier than going on a tour in a big boat where you then have to wait for the small boat. You could then spend the rest of the afternoon at the beach club next door, or go back to Capri Town for more exploring/shopping.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 05:10 AM
ira

Hi AL,

Keep in mind that if the water is rough, as it is apt to be in Oct, you won't be able to get into the Grotto.

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Hi almondtree,

I stayed on Capri for 2 nights last Sept. My favorite thing was the boat tour around the entire island. Away from the hoards, fresh air, beautiful scenery. I went on a boat that was rather small, carried about 15 people. The sea was very rough on the bay side that day and we didn't get to go in the Blue Grotto. Fine with me. The rest was well worth it!

Also enjoyed the hike up to Villa Jovis, the chairlift in Anacapri, and the Chiesa di San Michele in Anacapri with it's famous and beautiful painted tile floor of "Paradise on Earth". Didn't care for the overpriced shops in town, way beyond my budget!

Buon viaggio!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I guess we will wait and see because if the Blue Grotto isn't open, we may decide just not to go to Capri at all. Anybody have any advice on exploring Naples on our own?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I assume your ship will be docking at Molo Beverello ? What I'd suggest for one day is to start off by planning a walk which takes in the Teatro San Carlo & Galleria Umberto on the way up to the Via Toledo, then turn right and walk the whole length of Spaccanapoli, the historic 'spine' of the city & heart of the historic centre. It is so atmospheric ! Get a guidebook so you can plan which nearby sights - churches, museums, etc - you feel like visiting. Have lunch at the Antica Pizzerie di San Michele.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 08:42 AM
P_M

I have been to Capri twice and both times I couldn't get into the grotto. The last time I was there was in November 2002 and they told us that in addition to the tide problems, the lighting isn't right at that time of year. But even without the grotto, Capri is well worth a visit.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 01:51 AM

Dont forget the Emerald Grotto near Conca dei Marini which is not as good as the Blue Grotto on Capri but should suffice in times of bad weather
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:58 AM

I would choose Capri over Naples in a heartbeat.
The blue grotto is way overrated. I would go to Capri to go to Capri. It is a wonderful island with beautiful scenery! Take a boat ride around the island whether the Blur Grotto is open or not. Take the tram up to Capri town, and take a walk. Its lovely and not to be missed!
I know others will have differing opinions, but I was not impressed with Naples at all.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM

We enjoyed the entire Blue Grotto excursion experience immensely. The grotto itself is interesting though you don't get a lot of time inside.

But what I really enjoyed was watching and experiencing the entire process of getting visitors out of the excursion boats into the rowboats, into the grotto and out, and then back into the excursion boats. Organized chaos.

It didn't put a damper on my experience to have an attractive Swedish lady in my lap for the rowboat part--though Mrs. Fly was less thrilled with that part of it. Our oarsmen had some wine (he actually had already had more than some) and passed a bottle around--he also sang quite enthusiastically.

The excursion boat ride to and from the grotto was quite nice the day we went, and worth a good part of the entire trip fare.

But if it's too choppy to have the full experience, it's definitely not worth just the boat ride back and forth.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I was on the Princess cruise last October and went to Capri on my own. You just walk off the ship, ignore all the taxi drivers and walk to where the hydrofoils are - very quick and easy to get to Capri. Once you are there, you can go to the Blue Grotto and/or take the funicular to the town of Capri.

I loved it - and was so happy that I didn't take the ship's tour. All these people clustered around a tour guide holding a signboard in his/her hand!

The people who went with me were a little nervous about getting back to the ship, but there are numerous postings of going back to Naples and it is no problem. The ship tries to put the fear of God into you about doing anything on your own, but on the cruise, I only did one ship-sponsored tour (in Taorimina) and I was sorry I did that and ditched it halfway through.

And - the only people who were late back to the ship (in Barcelona) were people who were on a ship-sponsored tour - not anyone who went on their own.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Don't forget the chairlift to the top of Monte Solaro from Anacapri
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM

If it's open - it never has been when I've been there.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM

It's OK at present but you can always walk (very strenuous)