Amalfi or Positano for honeymoon?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:23 AM
terry

Amalfi or Positano for honeymoon?

Any comments on Amalfi or Positano for first 3 days of a honeymoon in June?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Tess

I'm one of those Positano fans, so I'd suggest a three day stay is a delightful way to relax and decompress from the frenzy of wedding prep and the wedding itself. Do be aware that Positano detractors aren't impressed by the place for the very reasons that I find it so lovely --- I do agree that Positano merits a short stay, 3 or 4 days max. It's a small town with not much happening. Not a museum to be had. You go there to experience the beauty of being on the cliffs of the coastline, browse thru the small shops, and take the boat over to Capri for a day's visit. <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Kristen

Terry -<BR><BR>Just out of curiosity - what are your remaining plans for your honeymoon? My fiance and I are also planning a trip to Italy for our honeymoon and are planning on starting in Positano as well. Think we'll probably stay 4 days to get over jet lag and shock of the wedding. <BR><BR>Now that we've decided on Positano, we're busy trying to figure out the other 8 nights we plan to spend in Italy.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Tess

No, no there's not a honeymoon in my future (hey, but I am available). Kristen, I've been to Positano on a couple prior Italy trips. Actually, one of the trips was to attend a wedding in Rome. And several members of her immediate family and friends (myself included) all joined the honeymooners for a few days in Positano.<BR><BR>Planning for a honeymoon in Italy? You really need to think about what type of travel you want. I'm also an avid lover of Rome. And it's the exact antithesis of what you'll get in Positano. Rome is busy, hectic, frenetic --- lots to do and see. If you want action, go to Rome. Or should your preference run more towards a laid back getaway, then I'd suggest you go explore the Tuscany region (get to Naples, rent a car for 4 or 5 days) and explore several of the smaller cities/towns). Turn the car in at Florence and take the train to Venice to spend your final 2 or 3 days there. I think ending your trip with a few days in Venice would be a great way to conclude your Italy adventure. Now you won't find me waxing poetic over Venice -- it don't float my boat as it does for others. Yet I do think it'd be an excellent place for honeymooners.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Kristen

Thanks for the reply, Terry! I really appreciate your suggestion. I was in Rome only once for 2 nights. It was at the end of a 30-day, 22 city tour (UGH) and, needless to say, I didn't find it quite magical...but I wouldn't have liked any city at that point.<BR><BR>We definitely want to start honeymooning in Positano and were just discussing spending the rest of our 8 nights in Tuscany. Renting a car sounds like the best way to properly see the region. Figuring a definite stop to Venice - also thinking about Florence and Siena. There's just so many things to see that it's hard to choose where to go!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Lila

For my two cents worth: don't try to schedule too many cities in this trip. I am always sorry when I try to do too much on one trip, and end up running from town to town and missing the joy of getting to know one or two places. <BR>My advice would be after Positano, drive up to Rome for a few days then pick only one or two other cities for this trip. After all, you want to spend some time getting to know each other as a married couple, not getting frazzled jumping from place to place.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:19 AM
terry

Kristin,<BR><BR>We are spending the first 4 days on the Amalfi coast, (may skip Rome, not sure yet) then to Tuscany for 4 days...cinque terre for 2 days (hear it is amazing) then to Venice for 3 days.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Val

We spent 2 weeks recently in Italy (Rome and south). We stayed 3 nights in Positano and loved it for the reasons already mentioned. Great place to unwind and enjoy the beauty. I'd suggest a visit to Naples (great museums and pizza) and Rome. We spent 2 nights on Capri and loved it. It turns into a great place at night. We didnt' rent a car: took the train and hired a driver).