Amalfi October 16-25

Search

Amalfi October 16-25

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi October 16-25

I haven't been on here for a while but the last time I asked questions about planning a trip to Amalfi coast and I received great advice so I'm back. I have booked a the trip for October. 16 - 25 this year and I'm basing myself in Positano at the Hotel Eden Roc .my wife and I have been joined by another couple and we would love to hear your suggestions for day trips and restaurants you recommend .
I have done research on my own and a list of places on our agenda such as Ravello ,Capri,Sorrento,Pompeii...... Should we book day trips ahead of our trip or wait until we arrive?
Any suggestions on must see places or restaurants would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Old May 30th, 2016, 08:56 AM

We stayed at the Eden Roc for a few days in June of 2014 and had a great time. Not sure if you saw my report but if you scroll down to day 10 in the link below you will see the Positano portion of it. Hope you have as much fun as we did.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-june-2014.cfm
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:52 AM
ekc

I wouldn't book day trips in advance. If the weather is good and the ferries are running, you can do many of the trips on your own via ferry.

For Pompeii, I would take the morning ferry to Sorrento then train to Pompeii, tour Pompeii, then train back to Sorrento in time to catch the afternoon ferry to Positano. But note that there are only 2 ferries per day between Sorrento and Positano - one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Be flexible with your Capri day trip so if the ferries are cancelled due to sea conditions you aren't stuck.

I would see Amalfi on the day you visit Ravello as well.

Another option is to take the ferry to Salerno and then have a tour and lunch at Vigne di Raito in nearby Raito. They will arrange transportion from Salerno to the vineyard and back.

In Positano, we love Tre Sorelle on the beach, Lo Guaracino on the path to Fornillo Beach and Next2 a little further up in the village. There is also a nice wine shop (Tre Sorelle Wines) just up from Piazza Mulini.
Old May 31st, 2016, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank for suggestions we will follow your lead
Old May 31st, 2016, 04:50 PM

We stayed a week in Ravello recently and loved it; too bad you will miss the Ravello Music Festival, since it seems that it ends in September. Less crowded feel to it than the other AC towns (we had stayed in Amalfi our last trip). If there's another small concert in town it's worth seeing. We used Trip Advisor for restaurants and did pretty well.

Since it was a big anniversary we stayed at La Sirenuse in Positano for 2 nights; other than the hotel, neither of us took to Positano as much as to the other towns. Since you will be based there consider a drink or lunch (or dinner for that matter) at La Sirenuse; it's worth seeing the hotel and great views.

In Ravello it's worth seeing Villa Rudolfo and particularly Villa Cimbrone, preferably on a relatively clear day.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Hello again we'll my positano trip is about a month away and after a busy summer we are now looking forward to the Amalfi coast .I have read all suggestions I have received and really appreciate all of the input .I have pages of notes filled with restaurants and ideas for day trips as we will be basing ourselves in Positano for seven days. If anybody can add suggestions for day trips to any locations we can visit I loved to hear them.Thanks for your help .We leave Oct.16 returning Oct 25
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 08:34 AM
kja

Salerno is, IMO, vastly underrated and Paestum is magnificent.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 11:24 AM

We did a lunch and wine tasting with Swirl the Glass. I think they have multiple wineries that they do tastings at but we went to Tenuta San Francesco. Beautiful property, great wine and a home made Italian lunch. They will pick you up and bring you back to your hotel. We had a blast! I think they picked us up in Positano around 10am and we were back around 3pm, I think.

We regret not having lunch at La Tagliata in Montepertuso. They will also pick up up or you can plan to climb the steps to Nocelle and earn the spectacular view...we didn't plan that climb correctly for lunch.