Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Drive Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-drive-question-341343/)

aki19 Apr 11th, 2008 07:23 AM

Amalfi Drive Question

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be in Sorrento 4 nights in last week of August. I had a question about the drive. Is it recommended to drive by yourself? I am pretty accustomed to driving in crazy conditions. I had also heard that there is lot of traffic and we would be on the road forever. How else can explore the region? Should we get a private car? Don't know how much that would cost. I can't afford a expensive private excursiion. What do you guys suggest? Thanks.

Mimar Apr 11th, 2008 08:22 AM

You can take a boat from Sorrento and along the Amalfi Coast. I hear the SITA bus along the AC gets very crowded, but you'd get on in Sorrento at the start of the route. There are also 1-day guided bus tours that cover this route.

I'd avoid renting a car to drive along the Amalfi Coast. The driver wouldn't be able to enjoy the views. And I suspect parking would be difficult in August.

Steve_James Apr 11th, 2008 08:34 AM

Hi Aki - The best way to do it IMO is bus one way and ferry the other.

As Mimar says, if you bus out from Sorrento you join it at the start - so you are guaranteed a seat.
Just be at the bus stop early ...

N.B. Sit on the RIGHT to enjoy the views.

You can return to Sorrento by ferry or hydrofoil from Positano (- or Amalfi).

Steve

P.S. I wouldn't bother with a guided bus tour - they don't stop in Positano :(

traveller1959 Apr 11th, 2008 09:12 AM

Driving is pretty easy at the Amalfi coast. Traffic is slow, and often you have to wait until two buses have managed to drive along each other.

This gives the driver plenty of opportunity to admire the scenery, roll down the window and make a photo.

However, I have to admit that August is a pretty awkward time to visit Amalfi Coast (we have never been there in summer).

P.S. Last time, I drove a truck there.

nytraveler Apr 11th, 2008 09:16 AM

We drove- but in May - when the roads aren't completely clogged. And it was a lot of un - not crazy at all - but definitely you can't get up any speed - it's a slow, relaxing, look at the scenery drive.

What's crazy isn;t the road - but the traffic in August - essentially bumper to bumper.

I think you would do better by ferry along the coast - and that way you get the best views of the coast AND the towns.

Grandma Apr 11th, 2008 01:07 PM

My husband always looked forward to the Amalfi Drive drive... did it about three times. But..... squeezing pass a bus on a tight curve is a real hair curler -:) somehow we always made it. Despite all, was never aware of any accidents, either. However, as others say.. August is an whole other kettle of fish!

anabelle Apr 23rd, 2008 04:10 PM

aki19.
I am going to be in Positano in a few weeks and have hired a driver who charges 40 euro an hour. He is somewhat of a taxi driver but he knows the area well. This is far more relaxing to us as a family then trying to manage roads we don't know. You can google amalfi drivers and compare their rates.

CasaDelCipresso Apr 24th, 2008 05:22 AM

Take the BUS! We do now even when we have the car with us..it's not that the drive is SO bad...but the driver can't really appreciate the views.

TuckH Apr 24th, 2008 05:32 AM

>> but the driver can't really appreciate the views. <<

I don't agree with this at all!

I was the driver and very much enjoyed myself, frequently pulling off into rest stops, taking photos and soaking up the scene. We were able to get off the main road - Massa Lubrense, etc - less cars and busses, more beautiful scenery...

ira Apr 24th, 2008 06:01 AM

Hi a,

The AC road gets quite crowded and clogged by tour buses.

I suggest a ferry to Amalfi and the SITA bus from back.

You get to see the coast from the water and the water from the road.

The ferry stops in Positano.

The bus stops at all of the towns along the road.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/3cbhkb

((I))

howardg46 Apr 24th, 2008 06:53 AM

I drove the Amalfi coast from Sorrento to Paestum and back a few years ago, but in September, not August. As the driver, I saw everything, and could stop whenever I wanted to take pictures. It wasn't a problem at all (except for the buses). I don't know how you'd get around there otherwise. A car allows you to stop in any town you want, stay as long as you want, and go on. We stayed in Ravello and got around easily by car. Would do it again in a heartbeat, but next time I'd rent a convertible--a lot of the views are straight up.

Ann1 Apr 24th, 2008 07:21 AM

August in the southern beach areas of Italy is horrendous traffic wise. All of Europe vacations then and traffic is unbelievable. I remember one year seeing on tv (from Florence which was empty)at the end of August, a traffic jam from Salerno to Rome. Stay away from renting a car and bus or ferry around.

We stay away from visiting our family on Ischia in August. It's just too crowded.