Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi cost and Stockhom trip in Ocotober mid -Novmber mid

Aug 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Want to visit Stockholm in November 1st week and Amalfi Cost, Capri, Naples, Ravello in October end. We have the family member of 70+ age group but fit and healthy. So need to know the weather and Hotel availabilities. How to plan nice comfortable trip to these two destinations.
Aug 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM

I would not visit the Amalfi coast then. A beach resort out of season isn;t a lot of fun and end of Oct hotels and restaurants will start to close for the season - as well as ferry schedules being reduced. Getting to Capri can be iffy and the chances of seeing the Blue Grotto are very small - since if the sea is anything but perfectly flat you can get inside only by swimming.

As for Stockholm in November - great as long as you want to see/do mostly indoor things. Here again, some of the sights are on off-season winter hours and it can get quite chilly, esp at night. And I believe some of the boat tours to the outlying island stop running.

Before you make definite plans do check both the weather and what is open and closed - and for what hours. (In Italy off-season hours are often from 9 am to only 1 or 2 pm.)
Aug 16th, 2012, 10:59 AM

http://www.holiday-weather.com/stock...ages/november/
Aug 17th, 2012, 03:31 AM

Plan to go to Amalfi Coast the last week of October, weather is nice, ferries still leave to Capri and rates are very affordable! If you are good walkers October is the best month for hiking: Paper mill valley, Path of Gods are waiting for you.
For more information visit:http://www.aurora-hotel.it/en/walking-tours-amalfi/
Aug 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Sorry - Amalfi weather can be mild and sunny or chilly and rainy. You won't know which until it happens.
Aug 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Late October has lots of advantages if you're headed to the Amalfi peninsula. Sure, you won't have any beaches to go to (but then again I've never heard anyone speak well of Ravello's beaches), but the scenery is still gorgeous and the crowds have vanished back to Germany and England and the USA.

I would plan to fly to Naples and rent a car for your stay -- traffic is also much less hectic in late fall. Still, allow for plenty of time to get places/find places.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:40 AM

We spent the last week of Oct. in Praiano last year and had beautiful weather and the tourist season was in full swing. So much so that I would not plan a trip for any earlier due to the crowds. Would go back in a heartbeat in October!