We are planning a trip for early September to Rome, and then down to somewhere near Amalfi. This is our first time to Italy, and we are in need of some suggestions!
First, we only have about 1.5 days in Rome, which I realize is rushed. We are going to get tickets ahead to the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel tours. I also want to see a few other tourist attractions there. Where is a good location or good hotel to stay to be close to these places, so as to save time on travel? We are looking for a medium-range hotel at least, for 5 adults.
Then, my finacee and I are heading down to the coast without the rest of the group. How does anyone suggest to get from Rome to the coast with our luggage? Also, is there a way we can stop at Pompeii and Naples on the way down? I am not sure what to do with our luggage if we take the train and stop.
Next, we cannot decide where to stay at the beach. Amalfi, Positano, Praiano, Maiori, Sorrento... we have heard so many different things. We want to be able to make some day trips from there, to capri/anacapri, vesuvius, etc. We also want to eat yummy food, go to the beach, and do some shopping and exploring. If we are unable to hit Pompeii and Naples on the way down from Rome, then we will also need to visit those places from there.
Any suggestions on the best place to stay (we have about 4 full days in this area) out of these places, and also hotel suggestions (looking for something nice, with a pool, great service, helpful to tourists, yummy food, etc.)? Anywhere where we can walk from easily is great too!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Christmas Markets Itinerary
- 2 Family vacation
- 3 Tips for first trip to UK
- 4 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 5 GTG Paris December 2017
- 6 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 7 Dubrovnik
- 8 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 9 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 10 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 11 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 12 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 13 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 14 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 15 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 16 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 17 which language school in Italy?
- 18 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 19 Driving
- 20 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 21 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 22 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 23 Christmas Markets 2017
- 24 Budget trip
- 25 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!