Amalfi Coast with Kids

Feb 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster
Amalfi Coast with Kids

I'd like to open up the travel with Kids conversation that was touched on in my other post...

Who out there has traveled to the Amalfi Coast with young kids? (Mine will be 2 1/2 and 8 months.) Could you share your experiences (what you did that was great, what wasn't so great, what beaches you went to, where they were more kid friendly, where you stayed, etc.)?

Thank you!
Feb 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
I think the key issue is that the Amalfi coast is almost vertical. Everything is up steps or steep paths or steep roads. This could be an issue with two small ones - you'll need to be prepared to carry both of them - and all of their stuff - everywhere (strollers aren't practical on steps or paths that steep) so you'll be using buses and taxis all the time.

You might be better off in Sorrento - which is much flatter (not flat - but much less steep at least in the center of town) and has more local transport.

Also the beaches aren't really sandy - they're rocky/pebbly - so not sure how much little kids will like them. (When I think of litle kids at the beach I alays think of pails, shovels and sand castles.)
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
The beaches aren't fantastic, and you have to pay a lot on most of them. Sorrento may be your best bet but I would choose one of the larger hotels with a large pool and plenty of facilities for children.

Search this Thread