Amalfi Coast/ Tuscany Hotel Advice

Sep 10th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast/ Tuscany Hotel Advice

We are looking for hotels (4*) first for Positano or Ravello and second in Tuscany (prferably within 30 minutes of Siena or Greve-- not more than 90 minutes from florence). We would like to stay in as luxurious of accomodations as our budget permits (not more than 250-300 Euros). We will be traveling next summer so will be high season. Thanks in advance.
Sep 10th, 2003, 04:20 PM

For Positano and Ravello, probably the top tier hotels--Le Sirenuse, the San Pietro, and Palazzo Sasso--are beyond your budget range, unfortunately.

In Positano, you may want to consider the Miramare and the Poseidon. Both have gotten good reviews and are in your budget.

Besides searching for previous posts on this board and the Rants n' Raves section on fodors.com, go to Italyby.com, click on Amalfi Coast, to look at pictures of a wide range of accommodations on the Amalfi coast.

Good luck!
Sep 10th, 2003, 04:57 PM
jmv

We have stayed twice before and will stay again in a few days at Covo dei Saraceni in Positano. Our rooms with balconies overlooking the beach and the sea are 267 euros. Appears that the place has even been recently renovated. It's directly on the beach so you can see all the beach action, the sea and look up into the beautiful twinkling hills. We love it.

We're also stying at Borgo San Luigi in Strove, near Monteriggioni. There our room is only 180 euros but they also have suites and individual houses in the 250 to 300 range. It's a resort complex with pool and recreational facilities but in a secluded forest area in the area you are interested in staying.
Sep 10th, 2003, 05:05 PM

I'm not sure the Poseidon will fit into your budget, but if it does, I highly recommend staying there. The hotel is one of our all-time favorites. The rooms vary in size, but the service, food,(and view from the restaurant terrace) and location more than make up for any shortcomings. If you stay there, you'll feel like a treasured house guest. It really is one of a kind.

Buon viaggio!
Sep 10th, 2003, 05:52 PM

We stayed at Locanda 'dell Amorosa in Sinalinga. It is about an hour from Florence. It is also very convenient to Siena. The town is not the type with a square that you walk around at night, but the property is set in a vineyard, and is very beautiful. There is a great restaurant there and our deluxe room was actually a suite, it had a completely separate sitting room. Very big bedroom, with a view.

Sep 10th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Try Villa Cimbrone in Ravello - I think it's in the price range and is very lovely. We also like Luna Convento in Amalfi.

In Tuscany try Il Borghetto or Locanda le Piazze. Both are beautifully situated within easy traveling distance to Siena and Florence. And I think they are in the right price range.
Sep 10th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Villa Cimbrone may not be in the price range any more! They have been undergoing a major renovation. I tried to book my daughter's wedding there and negotiated for over 6 months and could never make a deal. I do agree though, that if it is available for you, re-opens in '04, and you can stay there, it would be a great place. It is not, however, a great place to take day trips out of because you add an extra 45 minutes each way just getting up there and back.