Search

Amalfi Coast trip with my daughter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast trip with my daughter

Hi ,

My daughter turns 30 next year and I want to take her to the Amalfi Coast for her birthday. Neither one of us has been there, so I want the trip to be special. I am thinking about the beginning of June and have about 7 - 8 days to spend, not counting travel time.

I was thinking 1 night in Naples, 3-4 nights in Positano and maybe 2 nights in Capri? Both of us are very healthy and active, but because we're 2 woman traveling alone, I want to make this as easy as possible.

Any help with the itinerary and hotels would be greatly appreciated. I can spend between $400.00 and $450.00 US per night.

Thanks so much.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM

Ah, Positano...wonderful but start practicing for the endless steps.
Check the Villa Franca which I remember as a very nice place. Book early as June is a top honeymoon month here.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM

June is a great choice but, warning, avoid the first two days because, as June 2 is official holiday in Italy, it will happen that it will be a long and very crowded week-end May 30 - 31, June 1 - 2.
So, my suggestion, begin your vacation after June 2.
Have a lovely trip.
Ciao.

Vincenzo
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM

That would be a nice itinerary and not too complicated - I'd just suggest spending at least 2 nights in Naples as there's lots to see and experience. I also prefer Amalfi to Positano but that's me.

When we stayed in Naples for a week 2 years ago I spent a long time researching hotel locations & chose the Hotel Executive which is a 5 minute walk from the airport express bus's 2nd stop (for the port); on the edge of the historic centre so walking distance to most sights, but the opposite end to sthe seedy central station area; 5 minutes walk to a street where most buses stop, for further-flung sights like the catacombs; 10 minutes walk to the port & the opera house. The hotel was OK but nothing special & not in your price range, but the location was perfect so we'd stay there again and I'd certainly recommend that area.

(I initially drew up a shortlist using listings for the Centro Storico on Venere, cross-checking against Tripadvisor reviews and a large-scale Touring Italiano street map. The area I'm recommending is the southwesteen end of the Venere Centro Storico area.

We also always felt completely safe in Naples - just take normal big city precautions.

So assuming you fly to Naples and stay in the same area as we did, you could get the airport bus then 5 minute walk to Naples hotel, 10 minute walk to port then hydrofoil to Capri, then hydrofoil from Capri to Positano. There are various options for getting back from Positano to Naples - if you are lucky the Metro del Mare hydrofoil will be running but early June will probably be too early. Just say if you want more details. The simplest way when the MdM isn't running is a car & driver but you'll pay c.€110-120.

Vincenzo has a good point about avoiding the holiday weekend - I see the queues at the port ticket offices on that holiday one year !!

It's been a few years since I went to Capri so I won't recommend the hotels I've stayed in there. In Positano the Poseidon is nice, in Amalfi the Santa Caterina is lovely.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM

You need to go to www.onelittleworld.com and find their Campania trip report---great stuff !
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM

If it were me Naples would be worth 2 nights minimum. The museum is spectacular, the opera house is wonderful, the food is delicious, and life is truly vibrant.

There is some video here about Campania:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=104

In Naples, the archeological museum is excellent. Espresso is lip smacking. Don't miss Brandi, the home of Pizza Margherita:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=117

After Naples I would head to head to Positano and Capri to unwind. On Capri you can stay in Capri centro storico or in Anacapri -which is a bus ride up the mountain. Sicne time is short I'd stay in Capri centro storico.

Good advice from Vincenzo re: June 2. June 2 = US July 4.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
ira

Hi cad,

I would do 2 nights in Naples.

Think Loren and Mastroianni in "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow"

You might want to check these hotels:
http://www.costantinopoli104.com/
http://www.hotelpiazzabellini.com/in...ta=1__Italiano

They've both been reported on favorably.

On the AC, if you don;t mind saving money, I can highly recommend www.lesirene.com in Praiano.

I suggest Naples/Capri/Praiano

It will be easier to get back to the airport. Especially if there is bad weather the day you have to leave.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM

Last year, we stayed at the Hotel Mamela in Capri. I would highly recommend it.

If you have time, in addition to Positano, I would take day trips to Amalfi and Ravello as well. They are very charming towns and can be accessed easily by bus or private car. The AC is amazing. What a special gift for your daughter. Have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for replying. Your travel advice was very helpful.

I am also considering taking a Classic Journeys or Tauck Tour.
Any thoughts?

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM

I highly recommend Tauck. I have been on four tours with them (Alps of Switzerland, Austria, Italy & Germany; Classic Italy; Venice, Rome, Florence & the Italian Lakes; and Romantic Germany). I am going with them to Budapest, Vienna & Prague this October and will probably take their Greece tour in April (if I don't take the Rome & Amalfi Coast tour instead).

As a single female traveler, I enjoy not having to worry about transportation between cities or luggage (I don't pack light). Having a tour director is nice too, but I do my own extensive research before and know where I want to go within cities/towns and how to get there.

Please let me know if you want any additional information.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM

I have been to the Amalfi coast with my adult daughter - wishing you a wonderful trip! We did it on our own but some of the transits can be a bit difficult so a tour may be a good idea - depending on your inclination to do it on your own. My daughter and I also stayed at Hotel Mamela on Capri - we really liked it. The location is great - far enough away from the craziness of Capri town but also easy walking distance to many resturants and transportation points. Have a wonderful trip - I'm jealous!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM

We did the Amalfi coast for our silver anniversary. In Positano you could try Le Sirenuse,or Eden Roc we stayed at the latter and had a suite with a hot tub on the balacony. Le Sirenuse is fabulous too though,very atmospheric.
In Ravello try the Villa Cimbrone,for lunch or to stay there the setting is great.
You can travel around from Positano by ferry,it is very convenient. Parkers hotel in Naples is also well thought of and in a good spot. Capri is nice but personally we loved Amalfi,Ravello and Positano and just did Capri as a day trip.
Have a great time
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Delaine,

Thank you for you input on Tauck Tours. I have traveled quite a bit and never been on a tour. I love to research and plan my trips on my own. But becauese I am traveling with my daughter, I don't want to have to worry about transportation and baggage. Did you feel you had time on your own to explore?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Yes, I felt like I had enough time on my own. Some free time is built into the itinerary. Also, if the group is visiting something I have seen before or don't care to see, I go off on my own.

I usually don't stay with the group during included museum visits either, although it is a handy way to get in without standing in line. I've taken art history classes in college and already know what paintings, sculptures etc. are in the museum that I particularly want to see.

Finally, you can extend your free time buy going to dinner later rather than earlier on nights when dinner is not included. You can also do that when dinner is included--just make a reservation for a later time. (Except at welcome and farewell dinners you don't eat at as a group at the same time. You select the time you wish and the dining companions, if any, of your choice).
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:14 PM

If you prefer to plan the trip yourself, don't be too intimidated by getting around with luggage. I'm mid-50's, far from athletic, with arthritic knees, and I didn't have any problem. Flew into Naples, took the Alibus (right outside the door) to the port, hydrofoil to Capri, funicolare up to the town. If you want more details, here is my report that I haven't quite finished:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35146132
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:56 AM

As a daughter who has traveled a lot with her mother Id just like to congradulate you on your trip! There is nothing like traveling in a mom and daughter team and i wish you both the best vacation! I went to Amalfi with my mom last Thanksgiving and it was unforgettable...plus Naples has great history and SHOPPING!!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Your thoughts on time and place are, in my opinion, perfect. It's exactly what we did a few years ago, with husband, teenage son, and sister in law. We are all active and had the BEST time ever!