Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi coast travel tips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-travel-tips-938761/)

23style Jun 11th, 2012 07:51 PM

Amalfi coast travel tips

Hello all,

I will be travelling to Europe at the beginning of July. We have 7 nights in Italy and 6 nights in Portugal.

We fly into Rome and then will head directly to Amalfi Coast. We would like to see Naples, Capri, Positano and Amalfi in 5 days. We will then head back to Rome, spend 2 nights and then fly out to Lisbon. I would love to see Cetara and Pompei as well but I don't think we'll have enough time for that.

Does anyone have any tips on how best to do this?

Haven't totally worked out the Portugal portion of the trip, but I know we do want to head to Lisbon and Algarves. If anyone has some Portugal tips that would be great as well :)

Thanks!
Evan

Jean Jun 11th, 2012 08:00 PM

Where are you staying for the Amalfi Coast nights?

23style Jun 11th, 2012 08:14 PM

Still trying to figure that out...not sure what my best bet is.

We were thinking 2 nights in Naples and 2 in Capri. But I have no idea. It's so hard to balance seeing a lot of stuff without so much stress from running around travelling from place to place

worldinabag Jun 11th, 2012 08:29 PM

Hi

I think your itinerary is way too busy. I wonder though if you are better spending all your time in Portugal. It would be more of a vacation then. If you do want to visit Italy I would stay in Rome and forget venturing south. Not only can you see the sights in Rome but you can do day trips to Tivoli and Ostia Antica (a rewarding alternative to Pompei). From Rome you can easily fly to Lisbon.

Jean Jun 11th, 2012 08:33 PM

Is it five nights (four days) or four nights (three days) in the AC area?

Two nights in Naples and two nights in Capri will make it difficult to see Positano and Amalfi, not to mention Pompeii and Cetara. You need to prioritize your list because it's not likely you'll be able to go to all of these places.

FWIW, day-trips to Naples, Pompeii, Capri and the AC towns are easy from Sorrento. Cetara is the outlier.

Is it possible to fly from Naples to Lisbon? I would consider leaving Rome for another trip and adding the time to Naples/AC.

23style Jun 11th, 2012 08:39 PM

5 nights 4 days

In terms of priority, I think we'd really like to see Naples, Capri, Positano and Amalfi (decided to leave out Pompei and Cetara).

The flight from Rome to Lisbon is much cheaper so we will have to head back to Rome to see the sights and then leave Italy.

Ah! I wish we had more time :S

valtor Jun 11th, 2012 09:05 PM

Stay in Sorrento and make day trips (by train or bus) to Naples, Capri, Positano,Amalfi.
I plan a visit in this part of the world later this year and I found that Sorrento has very good train / bus connections.

Will it be your first time in Rome? Rome has so many things to visit, one day will be nothing!

I do not know the time table for flights from Rome to Lisbon, but maybe it is a good idea to remain one more day in Sorrento (can visit Pompeii)and, in the last day take the train to Rome airport to fly to Lisbon.

Jean Jun 12th, 2012 11:56 AM

The problem with staying another night in Sorrento and taking the train (or, the other option, the bus) to Rome on the last day is that you risk missing your flight because there is always a chance of a train delay or a transport strike. If it's an evening flight, and you have essentially all day to get from Sorrento to the Rome airport, then I might chance it.

tinydancer Jun 12th, 2012 12:05 PM

Why are you wanting to stay in Naples and what do you want to see there besides the museum?

You can stay in Sorrento and easily take a ferry to Naples for the day and from what we saw around Naples (We stayed in Herculaneum area) it's not very nice to stay, although we did end up in a nice hotel there purely by luck.

isabel Jun 12th, 2012 03:26 PM

Another vote for staying in Sorrento. Maybe you'll get some ideas from my trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm