Amalfi Coast to Venice - am I crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my best friends is getting married in Venice October 2nd. My husband and I plan to fly to Italy a week early to tour. We have spent time in Tuscany, Venice, Rome, and would like to explore the Amalfi Coast. I'd also like to see Florence, although obviously time is limited. I wanted to bounce some ideas off Fodorites and have JUST started looking at logistics. How does this sound? Fly DC to Naples, arriving Saturday morning. I'm sure this will involve a connecting flight of some sort. Train down to Amalfi Coast, spend Sat, Sun, Monday, possibly Tuesday nights in Positano/Amalfi/Sorrento area, maybe a side trip to Pompei. Wednesday start heading north, train from AC area to Florence, Weds night in Florence. My intent is to arrive in Venice midday on Friday - best to spend 4 nights in AC area, then leisurely head north? or 5 nights AC area then head to Florence Thursday then to Venice Friday? As you can see, I haven't done much research yet. Any help is appreciated! Julie
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Check out Volare flights from Naples to Venice. Could be as cheap as the train and much faster.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Even the Alitalia flights are cheaper than the train! And why would you want to spend an entire day of your trip on the train from Naples to Venice?
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:20 PM

We took a train from Florence to Naples and it was fine. I tend to fly now because the rates have gotten so much better. I would spend 4 nights on the AC, 2 nights in Florence then on to Venice. It sounds like a good plan to me. Have a great trip.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:44 PM

I have been to Amalfi as well but took a cab from Naples train station to Positano. It cost around 100 euros for two people and our stuff and the cab dropped us up the hill from our hotel -- Buca Di Baco. It is an incredible hotel and the restaurant in the hotel was quite amazing too.

I am not sure if the 100 euro cab ride is the best way to do it but the view from the side of the mountain during this 90 minute drive was incredible and we were on our honeymoon.

Your hotel can set up a driver to pick you up and if you are staying in Positano they will most likely use the Positano Cab Company.

As for getting from Amalfi to Venice, definitely fly or you will spend a long time on a train...time that could have been spent doing something more productive.

Have fun in Amalfi and make sure to drink the Limoncello.
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:49 PM

jck4,

My advice: If you're going to do an "overnight" between Amalfi and Venice, I would choose Assisi over Florence.
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:40 AM
ira

Hi jck,

I suggest you have a driver pick you up at the Naples airport and return you. This will be about 90E each way, but will save a lot of stress.

We used Renato Cuomo
www.cuomonet.it [email protected]

I think that, because you have limited time, it would be better for you to fly Naples/Venice and save Florence for another trip.

www.volareweb.com will fly you for about 40E.

We stayed at the Hotel Le Sirene in Praiano. www.lesirene.com

You might find my trip report helpful.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old May 18th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

gosh, thanks so much everyone. I like the plan of cab it to Positano, 4 nights in AC, then train to Florence for 2 then on to Venice. How could I work Pompei in there? I will check flights vs. train price, but if it isn't MUCH more to train, I'd choose that since I'd love to see Florence. BTW, we did spend 2 nights in Cortona a few years back with a day trip to Assisi. Lovely!! Actually, I'd love to pull off a trip to Sienna, if ONLY to return to Cane y Gato, the BEST meal of my life. Anyone else had this heavenly experience?
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:29 PM
rex

Remember that 450 million Europeans are close enough to be able to spend a weekend in Venice, and a lot of them like to arrive on a Friday. A good argument to arrive on Thursday!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:30 AM
ira

Not a cab, jck, a private limo will be less expensive.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

yes, private limo. I'm looking at airfare, to fly from Washington to Naples then Venice to DC is around $800. Think I can do any better for late September? should I wait?
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I also recommend taking the boat day trip from Positano. It takes you to Capri, lets you swim for a while, bring you for a big lunch and then lets you swim again and drop you off back in Positano. It comes out to about 70 euros each person but is much more cost effective than going to Capri on the normal boat trip. The entire trip is like 7 or 8 hours.

http://www.gennaroesalvatore.it/

By the way, taking a cab from Naples is much safer too. Naples is kind of sketchy....especially around the airport and train station.
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:49 AM
ira

Hi jc,

http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

is offering your flights for about $720.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM

We just returned to Italy and covered the same territory. You can fly from Venice to Naples and then rent a car or take a bus to Sorrento.

We used Volareweb to fly from Venice to Naples for about 50 euro each including taxes and fees. It was only an hour flight.

Stay in Sorrento at the Bellevue Syrene...get a seaview balcony room.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

thoughts on Sorrento vs. Positano? both? I love the idea of taking the boat to Capril
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:59 PM

I have never been to Sorrento but Positano is amazing! My wife and I went to Positano last year for our honeymoon and it was so incredible that we tried to stay one more day but it ended up being too much trouble.

We constantly say..."I want to go back to Positano".

Go to Positano and make sure to try the limoncello.