Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast/Sorrento and Rome!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-sorrento-and-rome-929689/)

jceilidh3 Mar 30th, 2012 04:34 AM

Amalfi Coast/Sorrento and Rome!!

Hi!

We are planning a trip for early September to Rome, and then down to somewhere near Amalfi. This is our first time to Italy, and we are in need of some suggestions!

First, we only have about 1.5 days in Rome, which I realize is rushed. We are going to get tickets ahead to the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel tours. I also want to see a few other tourist attractions there. Where is a good location or good hotel to stay to be close to these places, so as to save time on travel? We are looking for a medium-range hotel at least, for 5 adults.

Then, my finacee and I are heading down to the coast without the rest of the group. How does anyone suggest to get from Rome to the coast with our luggage? Also, is there a way we can stop at Pompeii and Naples on the way down? I am not sure what to do with our luggage if we take the train and stop.

Next, we cannot decide where to stay at the beach. Amalfi, Positano, Praiano, Maiori, Sorrento... we have heard so many different things. We want to be able to make some day trips from there, to capri/anacapri, vesuvius, etc. We also want to eat yummy food, go to the beach, and do some shopping and exploring. If we are unable to hit Pompeii and Naples on the way down from Rome, then we will also need to visit those places from there.

Any suggestions on the best place to stay (we have about 4 full days in this area) out of these places, and also hotel suggestions (looking for something nice, with a pool, great service, helpful to tourists, yummy food, etc.)? Anywhere where we can walk from easily is great too!

Greatly appreciated!!

artsbabe Mar 30th, 2012 05:08 AM

Many of your questions have been asked and answered on this forum. I might suggest you search the forum & then post any follow-up questions that you might have. If, for example, you want to stay in Amalfi, then you could take the train from Rome to Salerno and then the SITA bus up the coast. If, on the other hand, you want to stay in Sorrento, you would take a different route.

jceilidh3 Mar 30th, 2012 05:55 AM

Yes, well there are a good bit of older posts too and would like some new information, as quality of hotels can change over time as well as the best route of transport.

CarolA Mar 30th, 2012 06:14 AM

I took the train to Sorrento last year and it worked well.

Naples train has a 'left luggage' so you could explore that.

Pompeii is just a small tiny station. I can't imagine they have a place to leave luggage, but in any case you can't do Naples and Pompeii in one day!

Sassafrass Mar 30th, 2012 07:08 AM

Pompeii does have a place to store luggage while you tour.

People are posting and up-dating posts every day. There are many, many posts that are not old and information is current about trains, busses, hotels, etc. on the AC, how to get to Pompeii from Rome, etc.

Just one example: In the search box, if you type in Naples to Pompeii, you will get many up-to-date posts with some of that information.

Type in Sorrento, Positano or the Amalfi Coast and you will get tons of very recently posted info about hotels, beaches (which are quite pebbly for the most part), ferries, etc.

kybourbon Mar 30th, 2012 08:37 AM

>>>Pompeii does have a place to store luggage while you tour.<<<

This is at the entrance to the ruins, not the Pompeii train station.

I don't think you should attempt Naples and Pompeii in one day plus all the train travel.

>>>We are looking for a medium-range hotel at least, for 5 adults. <<<

What is your budget? Medium can mean anything. How many rooms are you booking?

jceilidh3 Mar 31st, 2012 11:59 AM

Good advice, thanks! We might save Naples for another day then.

For Rome, we have 5 adults. We will probably get 3 rooms. I am looking for around 150 euro/night range.

As for Sorrento/Amalfi/Positano/Praiano or wherever we pick, just one room for 2. Again, mid-range. Not cheap, not super expensive. Probably no more than 200 or so american $ a night.

danielac Apr 1st, 2012 10:44 AM

hi guys
I suggest to stay in Amalfi 3 nights basis exploring neighbourhood. Visit wwww.aurora-hotel.it located in centre on the bay for affordable rooms' rate and apartments.
Enjoy!

isabel Apr 1st, 2012 04:34 PM

With only four days and wanting to see Capri, Pompeii, Naples, Amafi, etc. your best best will be to base in Sorrento. All of those places are easy day trips from Sorrento. My trip report is two years old but very little will have changed in that time.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm

nytraveler Apr 1st, 2012 04:55 PM

If you want to spend alot of time at he beach you will need to search very carefully - since most of the beaches on the Amalfi Coast are poor at best - rocks or pebbles versus sand, narrow beaches in towns next to boats, shops etc (nothing like US or Carib beaches). There are a few upscale hotels (VERY big $) that have decent private beaches - but do be prpared for conditions differnt than you migh expect at home.

In Sept thw very worst of the traffic on the coast should be gone - so I wold vitis Pompeii and Naples from wherever you are staying rather than stopping on the way down (not just because of luggage but because that will make a very long day from Rome - Pompeii requires at least 4 hours to see much of anything.)

We stay on Sorrento - which is the Bay of Naples areound the corner from the Amalfi coast - since it is a larger town with more choice of hotels, shops and restauarnts - and easy fery access to CApri and down the coast. We love the Excelsior Grand Vittoria - but that might not be your price point - and no it doesn't have a beach - but a pool set in a beautifuul garden -since it's on a cliff overloking the bay.

jceilidh3 Apr 4th, 2012 05:19 AM

Update: Just needing a Sorrento Hotel recommendation now, something in a good location for exploring and in the 100-200 american $/night range. Thank you!

bobthenavigator Apr 4th, 2012 05:20 AM

Look at Casa Astarita.

kassav Apr 4th, 2012 06:16 AM

Friends and I did the Amalfi Coast a few years ago. Found that Sorrento is a very good home base. The Amalfi Coast area itself is so easily accessible by bus or ferry services. We did the fast ferry from Sorrento to Capri one day (30 minutes trip). We did the bus to Positano and took the ferry back to Sorrento and this should not be missed. The view from the ferry of Positano and the coastline was awesome. Have you considered an apartment rental versus a hotel. You could try Summerinitaly.com Also, I agree that true "beaches" in the sense we know them are not really easy to find on the Amalfi Coast unless you stay perhaps in Positano. They are more like piers built out into the waterfront and they have deck chair etc that you rent. That being said, the one we went to in Sorrento was beautiful and the water was warm and clean and gorgeous. I think the real beaches are on the other coast of Italy.

Lakelife Apr 4th, 2012 07:08 AM

I was part of a 5 couple group and we rented a villa for a week just outside of Positano. We were within walking distance so we did that daily.We got to Positano from Rome via Salerno as we rented a car - never again. My husband has motion issues but driving a car on the Amalfie Coast is scarey. Positano has a great beach, awesome restaurants, great shops and a guide would be advised to take you around that quaint little town. We used Christina, whose husband's family owns a great deli/wine/olive oil shop.She is very reasonable and takes you all around to some interesting locations including her husband's shop for tastings. We also went to a fun dinner place called La Tagliatia. You tell your hotel you want to go, they call the restaurant, the restaurant comes and picks patrons up with a van. It is a ton of food served family style and fun. The view is so gorgeous. Another great location we would never have known about, if not for a local couple-Erin and Pasqualie, is a boat ride to a restaurant that also has a beach, called Da Adolfo. You go to the waterfront, tell them you want to go to Da Adolfo, if the boat is there, it is free service to the restaurant. Pack a bag with your suits, towels, eat, relax and come back on a later boat.The beach, again, is not what we have here on the east or west coast but you can lay out and swim.Buses to all the towns are a great way to get back and forth but beware of the time schedules. Travel may take longer as there are traffic hold ups due to the narrow roadways but you get to see a lot of little towns along the way. Have a great time and please have Spaghetti with Clams for me.I had that in Rome and Positano.

AMV Apr 4th, 2012 07:09 AM

We plan to use Nocelle which is directly above Positano as a base camp and will have a car. Hope we won't regret it after reading through this thread. We are not beach people.

kybourbon Apr 4th, 2012 08:21 AM

Most apartments will not rent for two days.

What amenities do you need in a hotel?