Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast Self Guided Inn to Inn Walks

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know of any good tour companies that offer Self Guided Inn to Inn walks(they take your baggage) on the Amalfi coast?
Thinking of going in September-October
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:48 AM

Pehaps you could check:www.inntravel.co.uk. I haven't tried the company, but from seveal reviews, seems quite reputable.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:55 AM

I have been researching guided walks but I happened to read about some self guided tours you might look into.
Go to virgin-vacations (Virgin Atlantic Airlines vacations website). At the top click on "Unique Tours". The first part will be biking tours so keep scrolling down under "Italy" until you come to the walking tours.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Try Backroads and Butterfield and Robinson. They are pricey but offer services you may like.

I have taken two walking trips with Backroads. Liked both of them. One was to the Amalfi coast and the other was the Lakes Region.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:41 AM

It is easy to do it yourself as most of the walks are not lengthy.There is an excellent hiking guide to the area which contains over 70 hikes & walks in the Area.Most of the walks can be accomplished by staying in Sorrento and Amalfi as most of the walks radiate from these two towns. There are also a few worthwhile walks on Capri.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:47 AM

Dgruzew - Can I suggest you just choose one base?
Just a thought ...

The distances are so small that it hardly seems worth changing hotel each night, with the additional expense involved too.

You could then use buses to whichever part of the hike you want to do. Or taxis. That's what most people do.

Steve
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Gerardo,

Where can I get this guide. after doing some research you appear to be correct most of the trips I have seen tend to stay in just those two towns anyway
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:19 AM

There is a very good walking guide to the Capri & the Amalfi coast published by Sunflower books. I first read about it on this site, and thought it was very useful. Their website is http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/walking_titles.htm. They rate hikes by difficulty and time it takes to complete all or each section, and give good directions on how to reach each walk. They publish many other walking guides to various places in Europe.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 12:47 PM

We just returned from Italy and one of the things that we did was an 8 day walk in Tuscany. The company that we used is Alternative Travel Group www.atg-oxford.co.uk It is an english company that does both guided and independent walking (footloose) tours. We have done 3 hikes with them and they have all been wonderful. I know they have anAmalfi tour. The one nice thing is that their footloose tours, which include all accomodations, moving your bags, giving you a detailed map and directions and providing a route manager, are very reasonably priced. We have done hikes with them in Spain and France and are looking forward to our next one.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 02:14 PM

dgruzew, Cicerone has named the book above and the choice of a twin centre (Sorrento/Amalfi/Ravello) is what most organised groups do,to save time and long bus trips each day.Many of the hikes are interconnected so you can plan full day hikes.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks tons guys.
the www.atg-oxford.co.uk looks awesome. but it might be more cost effiecnt to just go on my own. Why all all the hiking books and tour companies based in the UK? just seems funny.