Barcelona / La Mercè

Search

Barcelona / La Mercè

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona / La Mercè

End of September (20th-27th), I will be in Southern Catalonia for one week. I plan to go up to Barcelona for a day trip, and noticed that it will be during the feast of La Mercè.

So, I am thinking about two options:

1) Go to Barcelona on Sep. 24th. But I can only stay during the day (until around 8pm) to catch the last train back. I already learned that the Correfoc parade starts at dusk, so I will miss that one for sure. But will there be already festivities or parades during the daytime hours? (Hate to use that phrase, but in a nutshell it boils down to: "Will it be worth to go there if you cannot stay until late night")

2) Go to Barcelona any other day during that week, but try to avoid as much of the crowds as possible. In that case, would it be better to go before Sep 24 or after?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM

honestly, the night time is it the best part though i remember some cool parades probably around 6ish. the night is awesome.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks a lot.. that was very helpful
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Cowboy, reneeeileen is right, the nighttime is the best part. The Catalans know how to celebrate like nobody else in the world. What you need to consider is which is more important for you.... going to the celebrations of La Merce, or seeing the awesome city of Barcelona. If you go for La Merce, and it's only for the day, you won't have much opportunity to see most of Barcelona. However, you will have the thrill of the energy in the city when Catalans are in a celebratory mood. You will probably see some parades with gigantes (giants) and other things, and possibly have the opportunity to see the castellers (human towers.... absolutely amazing and like nothing you've ever seen in the U.S... in fact probably illegal in the U.S!). You will probably be able to find a schedule of events online or at the tourist office under Plaza Catalunya when you arrive.

However, if you want to see the absolutely amazing city of Barcelona, you should go on another day as you will not have time to participate in the celebrations and see all of the big sites in one day. Even if you go on another day, you will still have a hard time getting all of the main sites in on your own.

I would suggest that either day you chose (during La Merce or otherwise) that you hire a tour guide particularly since your time in the city will be so short and there is so much to do/see. If you wing it on your own, you will only get about 1/10 done that you would otherwise get with a good tour guide. I am a former tour guide in Barcelona and recently met a tour guide there who I recommend you contact. Her name is Sandra and you can get more information about her at www.barcelonacharms.com . Sandra is American born but she has lived in Barcelona since she was a child so she knows Barcelona sites, history, culture and restaurants, etc. like the back of her hand. Since she was raised by an American mother her English is totally understandable (with a few quirks here and there) and she has a great personality too. I did not do Sandra's full tour because, of course, I know Barcelona well myself, but we did spend some time together talking and walking through the Gothic Quarter and El Born. She knows her stuff and taught me some things I did not know. Please let her know that Debbie referred you if you contact her.

Have a great trip to Spain and to Barcelona.... you are absolutely going to love it there!
Buen viaje,
debbie
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi Debbie,

Thanks a lot for your comments! (And the time you took to write)

I should have maybe added or clarified in my OP, that I'm already a bit familiar with Barcelona (my 4th time), so I would not have to try to see too many of the sights in just that one day.

Actually, my alternative program to the Mercè festivities would be to see the Frank Cappa photo exhibition at the National Arts Museum, and otherwise just roam around and maybe do some shopping. So, no real "biggies" on my list. Therefore, I'm now leaning more towards going any other day than Sep 24 after reading what you wrote about the (night time) festivities which I would miss anyway.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM

No, no, no, Cowboy, maybe you didn't understand. The parades and castellers will probably be in the daytime or early evening (at least by our standards). In fact, I just looked at the schedule at www.bcn.es and (if I'm reading Catalan correctly) it appears that the castellers will be in Plaza St. Jaume at 12:30. (keep looking, I'm sure there is an English schedule someplace on the internet) Get there early because it will be crowded... The parades and music will be going on all day long too. The nighttime it picks up a big notch and there are lots of fireworks and parades, etc. and it gets wild and crazy fun, but the daytime is worth the experience too.

If you already know Barcelona, absolutely go for the high energy and excitement of La Merce. You will probably also have time to go to the exhibit at the National Arts Museum too.

Oh, and if you do go to Plaza St. Jaume, go down either of the two streets that lead to Via Laeiatana (I think that one is called C/Ferran... running next to the Bocata fast food sandwich shop). On either street (back to back shops) you will see an awesome fresh squeezed fruit drink shop called La Bordiny... filled with colorful fruit signs, etc. (on Ferran there is another shop that sells fruit drinks... make sure you go to La Bordiny). Enjoy some of the freshest and sweetest fresh fruit drinks, combinations you would never imagine. And, while you are there, please tell Shy and Liat that I send them my love always!

Have fun!
debbie
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Oops.. then I did really not understand you correctly first time. Thanks for clearing that up!

Also found the timetable for the Castellers.. and yes, they will perform at 12.30hrs in Plaça de Sant Jaume. They will definetely be on my "list"!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.. it's very much appreciated.. And I already added La Bordiny to my list, and will relay your greetings

And, who knows, if it's that good, I'll just stay the night in the streets, and take the 5.50am train back

Gracies!
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Debbiness

It is good to see you posting here after all these years.

Her Debbiness truly knows Barcelona.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Aduchamp,
Still crazy after all these years!! Unfortunately with only one visit a year these days, I have to live vicariously somehow in Barcelona, so here I am. I so miss living in Spain! So I see you are still keeping up with the Jaume's!! Good to see you too!

And Cowboy, if you have the energy and the ummph... that is your best choice... party all night! Let us know how it goes. Wish I could be there too!
debbie
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 07:05 AM

The castellars usualy perform on the Thursday and Sunday of the Mercé at 12/12.30 both days, Get to st Jeaume early as the square gets very crowded, try to get near the front as you may be "recruted" for one of the teams as a part of the "Pinya" or base of the tower, great fun!!