Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast, Palazzo Sasso,Le Sirenuse, orSan Pietro.

Feb 14th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Andrea Peters

We are going to the Amalfi Coast for our 10th wedding anniversary in June. It will be our only break without the children for the next 20 years so we want to make the right decision.

Can anyone advise us on which hotel to go to?
The options are Palazzo Sasso in Ravello,San Pietro in Positano or Le Sirenuse in Positano. Please help as I'm driving everyone to distraction,including myself
with my indecision.

Thanks

Feb 14th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Vincenzo

Andrea, may I add another hotel in another town of Amalfi Coast ? Well, I add Santa Caterina in Amalfi. So tris became poker. Now, may I remove a hotel ? Well, I remove Le Sirenuse.
So, we are again with a tris.
In my opinion these three hotels: Palazzo Sasso, San Pietro and Santa Caterina, are full of glamour and charme and are equivalent. These three hotels, really, are the best.
So the happy problem, for you, becomes: in which place of Amalfi Coast you wish to stay: Ravello, Amalfi or Positano ?
That is the question !

Feb 14th, 2002, 10:36 AM
GAC

Vincenzo, perche' non anche Hotel Villa Cimbrone?

Feb 14th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Vincenzo

GAC, Villa Cimbrone is quite charming and I like it very much.
The requirements of Andrea, I suppose, have as must the top of lusso and, also considering the number of stars, Villa Cimbrone has "only" four stars and the other three hotels, each one has five stars.
If it is so, why Villa Cimbrone and not Palumbo, like suggest for Andrea ? So, I brought my attempt to solve the happy problem of Andrea, rather than suggest him other solutions.
GAC, you write Italian very well, my compliments!

Feb 14th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Lori

Never stayed at the others, but the Palazzo Sasso was near the top of the list of all the hotels I've ever stayed at. Their dining room is fantastic, as is the service. Breakfast is a little skimpy. The view from Palazzo Sasso beats the one from Le Sireneuse any day. (Can't speak of the views from the others). Request a junior suite overlooking the ocean.

Feb 15th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Andrea

Thanks everyone. What is the interior of Il San Pietro actually like? I have a good idea of Palazzo Sasso from their website, but not of the San Pietro.

Also if it came to a straight choice -

San Pietro 7 nights
Palazzo Sasso 7 nights or
Palazzo Sasso 3 nights plus Le Sirenuse 4 nights

which would you choose?

Feb 15th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Lara

Andrea -

I can't comment on the Palazzo Sasso but did stay at both the Le Sirenuse and San Pietro in October. Both hotels are beautiful and luxurious with excellent service. We spent 3 nights in each hotel and would stay at both again. The main difference is that the Le Sirenuse is in the town of Positano and up on the hill. You can walk right out of the hotel and stroll to the shops but have to walk down (and then back up later) the steps when you want to go to the beach. The San Pietro was definately my favorite. This hotel is about a mile out of town and is built into a cliff. The views are spectacular. From our room we could see Positano and Capri. There is an elevator built into the rock that takes you down to a private beach cove that has a rock deck with a little bar that serves lunch / snacks etc. I loved the beach area!

My picks for:

Positano town access - Le Sirenuse
Beach - San Pietro
Food - San Pietro
Room - San Pietro
Pool Area - Le Sirenuse (rent the movie Only You)
Gym / Spa - Le Sirenuse

Hope this helps. Also, make sure you make reservations ASAP. These hotels book up fast.

Feb 16th, 2002, 07:49 PM
ashleigh

Vincenzo - You bring up a question that I am interested in hearing your views and others as well that would like to comment. My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in late May. We plan to spend time in the Amalfi Coast area in order to relax by the poolside or by the sea. What is everyone's suggestions regarding where to stay - Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento...?

Feb 17th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Vincenzo

Ashleigh:
I'd like to answer you in the best way. But, as often it happens, it depends if you have or not a car.
If you have not a car we'll overview the solution among Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento.
Otherwise, looking at the period ( late May is wonderful and glamour), if you have car we can look at small places as Maiori, Minori or Praiano on the Amalfi Coast and Massalubrense in Penisola Sorrentina.
So, if you tell me car or not car and other requirements, and your budget, I'm sure I'll give you the best suggestions, really.
Ciao.

Feb 17th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Ashleigh

Vincenzo - Thanks so much for your help. I also noted yours and GAC's response to an earlier question I posted on Hotel Luna Convento and appreciate the help from you both.

For this trip, we plan to have a car and will be coming from Rome. Our budget would include hotels around $200 a night. A few other facts - this is my husband's first time out of the USA, my first time to any area south of Rome and as I mentioned before, we hope to have approximately 5 nights (at least 4 full days) during which we will spend some time sunning ourselves (if the weather permits). I guess what I am trying to get across is that a beach or nice poolside area is a requirement. Again, thanks so much for your help. I love planning these types of trips and am so glad I ran across this site.

Feb 17th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Vincenzo

Ashleig
Well, I understood and I try to help you.
You're coming by car from Rome. So, you arrive at Salerno and look for Costiera Amalfitana. Costiera Amalfitana, from South to North, begins at Vietri sul Mare. Well, Vietri sul Mare and, driving with sea on your left hand, you across Fuenti, Cetara, Erchie and you arrive at Maiori.
You arrive at Maiori about three hours after your departure from Rome.
Stop at Maiori. It has a wonderful sea front for morning and evening walkings hand in the hand with your husband, and the beach is along the sea front. The period is very good for sunning.
Maiori is very good to stay because, thanks to your car, every day you can have your trip, as you like: Amalfi, Ravello, et cetera.
At Maiori I suggest to stay at hotel "Casa Raffele Conforti". Pay attention, this hotel isn't on the sea front and hasn't pool, but it is in the center of the town. And I suggest you because you "live the history". Yes, you become a couple who lives at Maiori and captures the feeling and the glamour of this pretty town. The hotel has only eleven rooms, and is into an ancient palace of XIX century and of this age are furniture of the rooms.
My suggest is 2 or 3 nights with accomodation of half board, so that you haven't problems for dinner.
Rates are about 120 euro per day per person for half board.
Then, always with the sea on you left hand, you drive when you leave in the morning from Maiori and across Minori, Conca dei Marini, Furore, Praiano and Positano. Every of these small town deserves a stop. Positano needs a stop not short: half day.
Go on and you're driving in one of the best places of this region: the magic land where Amalfi Coast shakes with Penisola Sorrentina.
In that moment Amalfi Coast will tell at Penisola Sorrentina: "Be attention, I'm giving you a couple who has been here very good an this must happen also with you" and Penisola Sorrentina will answer: " Don't worry, they will be here all right !".
The road is going up and you are on a hill: views are unforgettable. At the top of the hill, you keep on the left for Massa Lubrense and you arrive at your new hotel: Locanda del Capitano.
Time that occurs from Maiori, without stops would be ninety minutes.
Lacanda del Capitano is on the beach, only twelve rooms and a delicious restaurant, very famous.
Here, you are on the beach! Rooms are very pretty and breakfast is so rich that you, maybe, don't want lunch and prefer to be the whole day on the beach.
Your trips are, as you like, on Sorrento and the other wonderful villages in the surrounding area. Pay attention for Capri, you can touch it with your hands. And be attention at the full moon in the night !!!!
Rates are about 100 euro per person per day per half board. Remember: restaurant is very good.
I suggest to be here two or three nights.
Now there is a problem: it will come the day you must go away. So, go from Massa Lubrense to Sorrento. From Sorrento, with the sea on your left hand you across Sant'Agnello, Piano di Sorrento ( where I live ), Meta di Sorrento, Seiano, Vico Equense, Castellammare di Stabia. Here you keep highway for Naples and Rome. After two hours you are in Rome.
Good bye!
If you need more help, I'm here and if you want my phone number, e-mail me.
Have a nice trip, ciao.

Feb 17th, 2002, 08:56 AM
ashleigh

Thanks so much for the information. I will take a look at these hotels and plot out the directions on a map. I have read on your previous messages about Massa Lubrense. Looks beautiful! Can't wait and thanks again!

Feb 17th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Kay

I have stayed at the San Pietro and Le Sirenuse. I preferred Le Sirenuse. I enjoyed the close-up view of Positano & the ocean more than just the ocean view. The food was better at San Pietro, but the staff much nicer at Sirenuse. I would agree with Lara's observations except I didn't care much for the beach area at the San Pietro, don't like going through the rock in an elevator, and the water is sometimes not clean enough to swim in. My balcony was bigger at San Pietro, but I reserved a year in advance and still didn't get my request of a Positano view room. When I reserved at Le Sirenuse, I got the room I requested. Although the San Pietro is a very beautiful place, I much prefer Sirenuse, but I am sure you would enjoy Sirenuse, Pietro, or Caterina. I am going to check out the rooms at the Cimbrone on this trip because I think it would be a wonderful, romantic place to stay.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:52 AM
Andrea

We have decided to split our time between Ravello and Positano. At the Palazzo Sasso we have booked a junior suite but it does not have a balcony or terrace.It does have a sea view. Has anyone stayed in this type of room? If so,what is it like and do the windows/doors open to floor length?