Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast or Tuscany for me and my 5 1/2 Months Pregnant Wife

Aug 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Hello.. quick question, would the Amalfi Coast or Tuscany be the more comfortable place to go for me and my wife at the end of august/early september who will then be five and half months pregnant.

We for some reason are struggling to figure out where to go and need some help.

Thanks
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM

The AC will be very crowded at that time and always involves uphill walking. If you do Tuscany be sure to get air conditioning in late August. My wife was 51/2 pregnant our first trip to Europe as well, but that was 1961. We are going back this Sep for 3 weeks to celebrate our 50th.
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the help. do you think it would be a relaxing trip? will it be very hot in italy during that time?
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Tuscany would be less stressful for your wife .Make sure your car has air and your room.
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Yes Italy can get very hot in those months. I agree that Tuscany might be better, just make sure that your car and your hotel or apartment is air conditioned.Have a great trip.
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM

We returned in April from a visit to Italy, including parts of Tuscany and Rome. At the time I was in my third trimester with two older children in tow. I don't have experience with the summer heat in Italy, but I do hear it is hot, and pregnant women are all the more sensitive to heat than women who are not. Definitely consider ac in your car and your hotel.

As for relaxing, a trip is only as relaxing as the pace in which you travel. Plan to center yourself strategically and take your time to savor what you select to sightsee.

It is easy to forget to take care of oneself while traveling and racing to see everything -- I started to have early contractions in Rome (not complaining, ended up staying a few extra days after having to see a doc when they came every 15 min for 6 hours straight!)) because I wasn't staying hydrated and resting enough. All in all, it was a wonderful trip, and Rome was after nearly 2 weeks of vacation in Italy, so it was about time my pregnant body was about to give out.

Off to the park I went with the kids to put my feet up, watch them play soccer with local children, read books, and eat gelato. We had playdates the following days with the same children and I was able to ensure myself some rest time on park benches while visiting the Eternal City. I will always cherish those memories.
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Hello, stephen. Congratulations to you two on your soon to be born child.

I think Tuscany might be the best too but not absolutely sure. I did want to mention regarding air conditioning, do make sure that whatever you rent has air conditioning as comprable as possible to what we have in the states.

A large group of family members rented a villa in Tuscany. Thankfully no one in the group was pregnant as although the villa was advertising as having airconditioning on arrival they found there was only airconditioning units in the living areas. None in the kitchen or bedrooms. The owners was contacted and he brought in fans for the non airconditioning rooms. The fans didn't help all that much. They were in Tuscany about the same time you are taking your trip. Actually being in the Dolomiti would be so much more pleasant weather wise and it is so beautiful and relaxing. Just a thought for what it is worth. Best regards.
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:17 PM
ira

Hi S,

Italy gets hot in August. The farther South you go, the hotter it gets.

The towns of the Amalfi Coast are rather steep.

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer the Lakes Region - Como, Maggiore, Lugano?

Aug 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM

I love the Amalfi Coast, but I agree with those above, Tuscany would be easier! I too would recommend the Lake areas which are cooler.
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

oh boy.. another area of italy. the lakes region. i don't know anything about that area as of yet.
we are trying to have one last adventure together before the baby comes.. but we are definitely hearing all the feedback. thank you very much. i will do some research about the lakes region.
in terms of temperature in august in italy around tuscany and amalfi, what is it like? 90s? not humid though, right?
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Here are the facts--look for yourself.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/c...p3?c=IT&refer=
Aug 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Italy in the summer is hot - often high 90s - and humid as well. It can be incredibly enervating, since many places (including restaurants and hotels) do not have nay AC. Wherever you stay be sure there is both american style AC (not european air cooling, which lowers the temp about 5 degrees) and a good pool.

If it were me I would do the lakes and mountains for temps that are somewhat more moderate and an area that may be somewhat less crowded.
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

ok, if we were going to lake como and that area, what would be some places to stay at? also, when researching (briefly) lake como, it seemed more for doing water sports and things like that, i might be incorrect. any info would be great.
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM

What is your hotel budget?
How much time do you have?
Where are you flying from?

After 14 trips to Italy, the lakes are still my favorite destination. We are going back in Sep/Oct to celebrate our 50th anniversary.
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

our plan was august 27th thru september 7th. we could spend about 300 - 350 american per night, maybe more for one or two nights. we are coming from nyc. we had our sites set on tuscany and amalfi, now switching gears, i have to do more research because i don't know much about the lake como area. any suggestions would be great.
Aug 11th, 2009, 05:26 AM
ira

HI S,

>....any suggestions would be great.<

Have you looked under "Destinations"?

Aug 11th, 2009, 06:37 AM

With 10 days, fly into Venice and home from Milan[MXP] and enjoy the 2 most romantic destinatiosn in Italy--Lago Como being the latter.