Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   amalfi coast or capri (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-or-capri-599878/)

chumpzilla Mar 16th, 2006 06:16 PM

amalfi coast or capri

hi everyone,

i am currently planning my honeymoon in italy and i am having a hard time deciding whether to stay somewhere on the amalfi coast (most likely positano or praiano) or on capri. i'm totally torn. i have heard that capri is really great and better when the daytrippers leave. and of course staying on the AC leaves me tons of options when it comes to visiting other towns.

i guess the goal of the honeymoon is to eat and drink well and to just relax. that said, i would be hard pressed to visit that part of the world and just sit tight in one place, unless that place was completely magnificent.

i'm torn. would appreciate advice.

thank you

LoveItaly Mar 16th, 2006 06:23 PM

Both are beautiful..hard decision to make. But you haven't said how long you will have for your honeymoon. Can you stay on the AC and also stay a few nights on Capri? If you have the time that would be ideal. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and marriage.

chumpzilla Mar 16th, 2006 06:25 PM

i have 5-6 nights, and a fiance who doesn't like to move around that much. i should say that this portion of our honeymoon is being preceeded by 3-4 days in paris and followed by 3-4 days in rome, so there is some moving around already. i can't quite blame him for wanting to stay in one place for a bit. hence, my indecision about amalfi/capri.

nessundorma Mar 16th, 2006 06:36 PM

If it turns out that Capri isn't what you expected it to be, you will be quite stuck there. If you stay on the mainland and suddenly feel in the mood to see Pompeii, or go to a different coastal town, or eat pizza in Naples -- you get the point.

Have a lovely honeymoon!

Tuni01 Mar 16th, 2006 06:41 PM

We stayed 2 nights on Capri and 3 in Positano. Both were wonderful. There is not much to do on Capri and we were ready to move on after 2 nights. You can tour Amalfi and other towns from Positano. I found it enchanting. I'd go for Positano.

Weadles Mar 16th, 2006 07:06 PM

If your goal is "to eat and drink well and to just relax", I would suggest splitting your time between Capri and Positano. I'd go to Capri first to unwind after the wedding because there is less to do there. But WOW is it beautiful in the evenings- that's when Capri is at it's most magical.

Then ply your husband with a Bellini or two,pack up the suitcases, and go to Positano, where you can enjoy the gorgeous views, amazing food in Montepertuso, and take easy day trips to Amalfi, the beach in Atrani, and the gardens of Ravello.

davidcharles_69 Mar 16th, 2006 08:52 PM

positano and almalfi are both wonderful. you can't go wrong there and the setting is so beautiful-perfect for a honeymoon. i used a tour company called benvenutolimos.com and had a truly great time. My driver knew so much about the area that i've recommended them to everyone i know. Good luck with the wedding.

ira Mar 17th, 2006 03:53 AM

Hi C,

I also suggest 2 nights on Capri and the rest of the time in Positano.

>our honeymoon is being preceeded by 3-4 days in paris and followed by 3-4 days in rome, ...<

If you don't want to move around a lot, you could save Paris for an anniversary and add the time to Rome.

((I))

knoxvillecouple Mar 17th, 2006 04:55 AM

I'm with Ira - two nights Capri, remainder in Positano. Positano definitely offers more in terms of other sight-seeing options (Pompeii, Ravello, remainder of Amalfi Coast), but Capri IS magical, particularly after the last ferry leaves. There are wonderful walks you can take on Capri, and there are many things you can do on Capri, or you can just soak in the scenery and luxuriate - after all, that's what the emperors did.

KC

TNTraveler Mar 17th, 2006 06:21 AM

I would do either Positano or Ravello. Ravello is one of the most romantic cities ever!

steviegene Mar 17th, 2006 06:48 AM

I went to Italy for my honeymoon in June 04. We had a most spectacular time!!!! We spent 3 nights in Rome, then took a train to Naples to catch the Ferry to Capri. We spent 2 fabulous, glamorous nights on Capri and then spent 4 nights in Positano. We daytripped from Positano, to all the towns on the amalfi coast easily by bus. We also took a daytrip to pompeii. (Click on my name and you will see some of my earlier posts about details of Capri). We had a wonderful, wonderful time. Good food, romantic evenings with plenty of sites to keep us occupied during the day.

I have been to paris as well and loved it. But I would strongly recommend you not try to do it all on your honeymoon. I would skip Paris and just stick to Italy - especially if you dont like to move around too much. There is more than enough to see in Italy to have a fantastic honeymoon. And you also dont want to spend your whole trip on the train.

steviegene Mar 17th, 2006 08:05 AM

did you say when you are going?

chumpzilla Mar 20th, 2006 03:02 PM

we are going at the end of may. i hate to give up paris, i just love it so... and the trade off to not getting married in paris was to make it a part of our honeymoon. maybe i need to perform some sort of kidnapping trick on my husband to be... so it seems the consensus is to do positano for about 4 nights and then 2 on capri?

is it even worth it to be among the throng of daytrippers to visit capri during the day? or should we just save it for "next time?"

amarena Mar 20th, 2006 03:24 PM

I'm not sure there will be throngs of daytrippers to Capri in May. There will be daytrippers, for sure, but I don't think it will be as bad as June-August.

We stayed in Capri for 2 nights, then Positano for 4 nights, and were happy.

BUT, there is something to be said for not moving around too much... I say, stay in Positano the entire time and do a daytrip to Capri AND a daytrip to Ravello/Amalfi. You would still have the option to return to either of those, plus you could do a daytrip to Sorrento. Make sure you include Ravello, because it is gorgeous!!

amarena Mar 20th, 2006 03:26 PM

Oh... I'm a Paris lover, too! Don't give that up, despite the hassle!

ira Mar 21st, 2006 06:28 AM

Hi C,

>...the trade off to not getting married in paris was to make it a part of our honeymoon. <

Then skip Rome.

You can fly from Paris to Naples.

See www.whichbudget.com

((I))

ira Mar 21st, 2006 06:29 AM

PS,

I would fly into Naples, visit the AC, fly to Paris and fly home from there.

((I))

dougdep Mar 22nd, 2006 06:39 AM

i have just booked a trip for 6 nights in the town of Amalfi. There was no room at le sireneuse so i reserved a room at the santa caterina. at this late stage there is limited availability at the top hotels. most whom i have spoken to have stayed in positano. can i go wrong in amalfi at this hotel for six nights?

TNTraveler Mar 22nd, 2006 08:16 AM

That hotel is amazing! You are going to love it!!!