Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast in March Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-in-march-questions-742412/)

isabel Oct 12th, 2007 11:59 AM

Amalfi Coast in March Questions

What is the Amalfi Coast like in March (thinking of March 08, would be the week before Easter)? I have heard so many horror stories regarding crowds in July that I'm thinking March might be nicer. (I can only travel in March and summer). But I'm concerned that things won't be open, ferries won't be running etc. Most of the guidebooks are very vague about what it's like in March - saying things like "reduced hours" which doesn't tell me much. So, any first hand information/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

designergigi Oct 12th, 2007 12:48 PM

Hello, isabel.
We were on the Amalfi the second week of March for 7 days and had wonderful weather. We rented a car and so enjoyed the lack of crowds that this magical place is famous for in the summer.
We noticed a few restaurants were closed, but, found ample choice. The buses seemed to run regularly.
Our lovely B&B was in Minori and had a fantastic terrace that overlooked the village and sew. You could also walk up to Ravello, a charming village.
Go in March, it was perfect!

virgi Oct 12th, 2007 01:17 PM

Oh isabel: the amalfi coast is so beautiful anytime, that's why there's always crowds there. And, in a sense, they add to the flair. I can't imagine that any reduced hours would cause a problem. I would just go at my convience, and plan around the reduced hours. if that's the case. And why care about the crowds? When I was there a some-kind of festival was going on, so the buses didn't run on regular schedule. I didn't know that when I set forth from Naples. I made the best of it and it gave me a chance to see the regular Italians in their delightful attitudes as they enjoyed the festival. I was so impressed as how many of them laughed at the most simple things, it was memorable for me. I don't know what they found so funny because I don't know the language, but the Amalfi coast was one of my Italian highlights. And don't miss walking around the dock. Yachts parked there, so very impressive. Incredible. Any time in Amalfi is worth the adjustment to reduced hours. BTW, why ferry? where are you coming from that arrives by ferry?

Dayle Oct 12th, 2007 01:39 PM

Isabel,

My first visit was in March, the week before Easter. We were there for 3 nights, stayed in Praiano.

It was dead quiet, but lovely. We did have 2 nights of huge thunder and lightening storms and torential rain, but the days were warm enough and mostly sunny.

It was a great time to visit Pompeii. Not too crowded and not hot and dusty!

We used the SITA buses which seemed to run frequently enough and weren't crowded either.

My second visit was in Sept and what a difference. The crowds spoiled it for me (my opinion and experience). Late or non-existent buses, jam-packed with pushing shoving tourists. Didn't hear any Italian spoken, just English, British, and German, some French. Hot and Humid.

Kristina Oct 12th, 2007 02:23 PM

Isabel-
Easter Sunday is March 23rd, so the week before starts on the 15th. I know this because I'm going to be there during that time! :-)
Summer there is lovely, but yes, very crowded. In March it won't be "beach weather", but it should still be beautiful.
Can't help with the ferries since we always rent a car!

MartaD Oct 12th, 2007 02:31 PM

We spent the week prior to Easter in Positano about three years ago. It was a wonderful time to be there. We enjoyed watching a Palm Sunday processional in which we could see vast numbers of people walking down into the town from all the various stairs. Some carried simply palm branches. Others carried branches with every imaginable thing (food items mostly) tied to the branch. Candies, flowers, hams, salamie. It was amazing. After everyone had gathered in the lower town area, the local priest spoke and then everyone walked into the lovely church for Palm Sunday service. As far as my husband and I could tell, he and I and one other tourist were the only ones who weren't locals.
It was a charming time to be there. I agree that the Amalfi coast is always somewhat crowded. But if you wish to see it, I think March is a good time. There were very few people in Pompeii. The weather was delightful. As to the ferries, most were not running.

isabel Oct 12th, 2007 06:15 PM

Thanks all. Sounds like it will be a decent time to go. I was asking about the ferries for things like going to Capri, etc., and thought in would be a fun thing to do in the area, although I guess not totally necessary. We will be taking public transportation so mostly trains and buses.

I'm not interested in swimming, but was hoping things would look somewhat springlike - some flowers around, warm enough to sit at outdoor cafes, etc.

virgi Oct 12th, 2007 06:32 PM

you can get to capri and ischia from Naples easier. If your not opposed to public transportation take the bus out of Amalfi to Sorrento and catch the metro to Naples.In Naples, change trains to Mergelina and all the boats leave from there. Mergelina is also where the best-original pizza is-started there and still is excellent.

kybourbon Oct 12th, 2007 06:35 PM

I was there the last week of March one year and there were huge lemons already on the trees. It was warm during the day (short sleeves), but cooled down at night (light jackets).