Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast in late October? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-in-late-october-1702066/)

upupaway Sep 19th, 2021 05:09 PM

Amalfi Coast in late October?

My wife and I are planning a last minute trip to Italy. We haven't been to the Amalfi coast in many years, but loved our summer stay in Positano. I realize that October is the close of the tourist season in Positano and restaurants and shops start to close during that month, so we're wondering if it is still worth spending a few nights there. We wouldn't be able to get there until around October 21st. Would there still be enough shops, restaurants and activities open - and transportation by ferry or bus between towns - to make it worthwhile? We know that it likely won't be beach weather, but that's not important to us.

Jean Sep 19th, 2021 06:57 PM

We've been to the Amalfi Coast in the 3rd week of October and had a great time. We were probably very lucky with the weather, but it was gorgeous. Predictably nice enough days that we did some hiking and lots of walking. We had one morning of heavy rain which cleared quickly.
But, obviously, there are no weather guarantees.

The ferry schedule was off-season on that trip but, as it wasn't our first visit, it was frequent enough for our needs. As you've been to the AC before, you may also have fewer transportation requirements. But I suggest you think about what you hope to accomplish and try to figure out the logistics under reduced services.

In these times, I think it's tough to predict whether lots of restaurants and shops will be open. People live in these towns year-round, so it's not like the options are zero, but I'm sure the past 1.5+ years have taken their economic toll.

upupaway Sep 20th, 2021 07:57 AM

Thanks very much Jean. That's helpful information.

annw Sep 25th, 2021 08:57 AM

Take a look at Stanley Tucci's Amalfi Coast episode on CNN if you haven't seen it! They have some of that wild weather in this program -- worth seeing if you haven't! FWIW we leave the AC on 10/14 but are staying in Ravello; will report on the weather when we are there if that is helpful. And we always add the city's weather app to our phone. I realize that doesn't help you with what is open/closed but will pass any of that along as well.

ToujoursVoyager Sep 26th, 2021 03:26 AM

I went to the Amalfi Coast with my two young daughters (2,5 and 5 at the time) at the end of October. It was a fabulous trip. Go! You will not regret it! We spent 3 nights in Ravello and 2 in Positano. It was a very super quick trip (1 week with travel time) flying New York to Naples. I posted a trip report, if you want to read it.

upupaway Sep 26th, 2021 02:58 PM

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it is still worthwhile going in October.

whitehall Sep 26th, 2021 09:24 PM

Our first trip to the Amalfi coast was the second week in November, and we had perfect weather. We stayed in Sorrento, which provided a bit more activity and open restaurants then. We have been back a couple times in October and also enjoyed superb weather.