Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast in January? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-in-january-941769/)

cm318 Jul 6th, 2012 01:45 PM

Amalfi Coast in January?

My husband & I can only travel during specific times. Over the next year the dates are: Dec 16 - Jan. 7 or March 22 - April 1 (unfortunately Easter week). We would like to go to the Amalfi coast to enjoy the scenery and visit Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum and Capri. We know we won't be enjoying brilliant sunshine and the beaches during these periods - but that isn't our top priority. I also know that transport to Capri may be more limited and many of the restaurants and tourist shops will be closed. I am trying to convince myself that there are some advantages here - certainly less crowded, maybe more authentic Italy. We are considering spending 4 nights in Positano and 4 nights in Ravello. I would really appreciate personal experiences traveling during these time periods. Which time would be preferable - late Dec/Jan or Easter week late March?

NoCaliGal Jul 6th, 2012 02:45 PM

I would recommend the Mar 22-Apr 1 period for reasons of temperature, rainfall. The January temperatures range from a high of about 59 degrees F to a low of about 41 degrees F
on the Amalfi Coast.
The March/April period ranges from 45 degrees low to 68 degrees high.
So you could get lucky and have good touring weather then.
You could also view the Easter church festivities and processions in the little towns that abound on the coast.
Also it's a lot easier to scramble around in Pompeii and the other ruins when it's not crowded and its cool. Plus avoiding all those other tourists that show up in the summer is a real PLUS! Everyone will have more time to devote to YOU.

I'm curious why you are splitting up your time between Positano and Ravello -- the towns are only 22 kilometers apart!
Don't miss taking a couple of ferry rides up the coast - get a seat on the starboard (right) side and see the rugged coastline. It's spectacular. You can bus back on your bus/museum pass, which undoubtedly you will find will save you money. Ciao

cm318 Jul 6th, 2012 03:53 PM

NoCali - thank you for your comments. I know Positano and Ravello are close but I thought they may offer slightly different experiences. I am fairly set on Ravello. Can you recommend another town if we want to stay two different places? Also, I was somewhat concerned that Easter might be a busy travel time -- but I guess not nearly as bad as summer. Do you think spending a night or two in Capri that time of year (late March) would be something to consider. We have approx. 10 travel days.

nytraveler Jul 6th, 2012 04:19 PM

By easter more things will be open and days will be longer. In Jan many sights will have very limited hours - perhaps 9 am to 1 or 2 pm - and days will be short, dark and chilly.

March/April won;t be beach weather - but there is a better chance of pleasant.

jelopez33 Jul 7th, 2012 05:40 AM

cm318:
I agree Easter should be much better than december or january.However, we just were in the AC in september, and really loved it and will return someday for sure.Other lovely places to stay are Amalfi(may be too close to Ravello for you who are set to a stay in Ravello); Maiori,Sorrento.If you are interested click on my name to read my report about our visit to the AC.
Enjoy your planning and youe trip!!!