amalfi coast honeymoon questions

Jul 5th, 2000, 02:09 PM
joshua ross

amalfi coast honeymoon questions

am planning a 15-night honeymoon in italy in june '01. looking to spend 4 nights of the 15 on the amalfi coast. would like to spend 2 nights in positano and 2 in ravello. we plan on flying out of naples at the end of our stay on the amalfi coast.

questions: -how long does it take to drive to the naples airport from positano or ravello? could we leave positano early and make a 10 am flight from naples? -positano hotels--anyone have opinions about the san pietro vs. la sireneuse? -ravello hotels--looking for opinions on hotel palumbo vs. palazzo sasso vs. villa cimbroni.

thanks!

josh

Jul 5th, 2000, 09:27 PM
gb

Positano is so beautiful. It took us about a half hour to forty five minutes to drive from Pompei to Positano, using the shortcut through the penisula, rather than around through Sorrento. But there are a lot of twist and turns, and we were with someone familiar with the area. It would take another half hour, with traffic from Pompei to Naples.

Jul 6th, 2000, 04:43 AM
michael

Congratulations!!
Last summer my wife and I spent 3 days in Sorrento. We flew into Naples and rented a car and drove to Sorrento.. It takes about 40 minutes to go from Naples
Positano. Enjoy.... Can't go wrong with any of the hotels you chose.
Enjoy Amalfi I thought it was even prettier than Positano.
Capri is very accessible from Positano and will be a great day trip

Jul 6th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Wendy Carrell

Cogratulations Joshua,
We spent 10 days in Amalfi, and traveled to Ravello( Beautiful) and Positano( a bit more expensive)That whole coast is beautiful. We visited Pompei and Capri also. You will love it.
It takes about an hour to get to the airport, if the trafic is not too heavy.Allow lots of time.
Good Luck, have a great trip

Jul 6th, 2000, 11:42 AM
JB

Dear Josh,

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon in Ravello at Villa Cimbrone, which we loved. I've heard that some of the rooms are quite small - we had a double superior, and thought the room was beautiful. We saw the Greta Garbo suite next door (where Hillary Clinton stayed recently!) and it is very grand indeed! Our room had a view of the sea and the gardens, which I believe most of them do.

We saw the lobbies of the Palumbo and the Palazzo Sasso, and I liked Villa Cimbrone much better. One deciding factor is location - the Palumbo and Sasso are right in town, and the Villa Cimbrone is about a ten-minute walk (kind of hilly, and some stairs). I personally liked the feeling of seclusion, but it may be inconvenient for others. There is not a full restaurant, although they serve a very nice breakfast and you can get snacks (gelato, drinks, sandwiches) during the day.

Ravello was our favorite part of the trip - enjoy and congratulations! And let me know if I can answer any more specific questions about Villa Cimbrone.

Best wishes,
JB

Jul 6th, 2000, 12:01 PM
kam

San Pietro in Positano cannot be beat for a honeymoon or just a romantic stay. It's a bit out of the town and some of the rooms have beautiful views back to Positano. There is a private beach reached via elevator through the rock and the beach boys will frequently volunteer to take you to town by boat. The food is great and the decor is stunning. If you tell them you're on a honeymoon, perhaps they can assign you one of the "appropriate" rooms. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Congrats.