Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast Help Needed Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-help-needed-please-672684/)

ilovetravel Jan 22nd, 2007 12:56 PM

Amalfi Coast Help Needed Please!

It's our last chance to go to Europe for a while before the baby is born and we always wanted to go to Amalfi coast. Unfortunately the latest we can go is early March. Do you have any advice on how the weather will be at that time? Will we still be able to experience the region or will a lot of restaurants, etc. be closed?
Thanks for any information you can give us.

amy_zena Jan 22nd, 2007 01:17 PM

I have found that things start opening up around Easter. Things will be open in Sorrento though. I have visited twice - once for Nov. 1 holiday and everything was about to close for the season. And once on Easter weekend and everything was opening up for the season.

amy_zena Jan 22nd, 2007 01:25 PM

I know this is nosy of me, but are you traveling pregnant? And if so, how far along will you be? I'm pregnant with my first, and I really want to go home to the States (from Italy) for a bit. I can't seem to get a straight answer from my Italian doctor about traveling pregnant. Sorry about the unrelated-ness of this.

ilovetravel Jan 22nd, 2007 01:48 PM

Yes, I'll be about 6-7 months along! Hoping to get this trip in prior to the baby's arrival.

nytraveler Jan 22nd, 2007 05:04 PM

Different pregnancies, different doctors, different answers.

You need to follow your MD's answers. I've had friends who flew until the 8th month (but airline required a letter from the MD) and another friend who was told to stop at 5 months (due to her specific situation).

ira Jan 23rd, 2007 04:46 AM

Hi IL,

Weather is going to be very iffy on the AC in early March.

Could be beautiful. Could be cold, rainy, windy and foggy.

Many hotels won't be open until the end of March.

Have you considered staying in Naples and visiting the AC when you know you will have good weather?

Temps will be 42/59 with some rain.

((I))

Lorac1127 Jan 23rd, 2007 06:08 AM

We were on the Amalfi Coast in mid and late March. We were quite fortunate that the weather was sunny and warm. We never needed more than a sweater. But as you know, the weather can be unpredictable.

You certainly will not get the beachy resort feeling, but you do get to see that fabulous scenery and you can enjoy the charming towns without hordes of tourists.

JackOneill Jan 23rd, 2007 06:25 AM

Like Lorac, my wife and I were on the Amalfi Coast last year in mid-to-late March. If anything, I think it was too hot. (I like it cold, or at least cool, when I travel.) Mostly sunny days. Not much happening on the beach, though. All of the shops and restaurants in Positano were open. Capri was covered head to toe in tourists. We heard that the weeks before we got there wre cooler (maybe by 5-10 degrees) and wetter. So, the weather may be with you.
Positano and capri are such tourist meccas, I doubt if too many places will actually be closed in early March. Some of the other areas of the Amalfi Coast, however, might be an issue.