Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast, etc. Honeymoon Itinerary Advice Wanted!

Dec 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

After reading (extensively) the postings on Fodor's, we are very excited to develop our own honeymoon using the advice found here. We are an adventurous couple, going for 2 weeks in August 06 (we're early planners!). We are doing the relaxation/resort-type trip first, then traveling from there. I would LOVE any advice or constructive criticism anyone can give us on the following itinerary. I really value this forum, and can't wait to get some feedback!!

Day 1-2: Travel into London, connect to Naples. Car from Naples to Positano. Overnight in Positano at Poseidon (can't wait!). Is this the most convenient/cost efficient way to get to Positano?

Day 3-5: Overnight at Poseidon for 3 more nights with day trips

Day 6-7: Overnight in the Marriott in Capri for 2 nights.

Day 8: Overnight in a bungalow in a campground outside of Pompeii (Zeus Campground) with a day in the ruins. What is the best way to travel from Capri to Pompeii? How long is the trip?

Day 9-11: 3 nights in Cinque Terre. We are stuck with figuring out travel here. I LOVE Cinque Terre and can't wait to go back. Does anyone know how long the train from Pompeii to La Spezia takes?

Last days 12-15: This is where we're lost... We plan to fly out of Florence. Any suggestions? We'll stay at least 1 night in Florence. Should we do more? How long is the trip from La Spezia to Florence? Any suggestions between the two?

Ok, sorry for the length, but I am hoping for some advice especially for the end of the trip. Thanks again!
Dec 28th, 2005, 08:17 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

Check this posting out.

Robyn
Dec 28th, 2005, 08:17 AM

RE: getting from Pompeii to the Cinque Terre > > > From Pompeii, you'll need to take the Circumvesuviana (a local train) to Naples. Look on the Trenitalia website (www.trenitalia.com) for train schedules from Naples to La Spezia (station you'll need is La Spezia Centrale) .... travel time is about 6 1/2 hours, depending upon whether you change trains in Rome. Then you can take a local from La Spezia onward to whichever CT town you plan to stay in .... or actually, it makes more sense to input "Naples" and "Monterosso" or your final destination in Trenitalia.

Also, there is a website for the Circumvesuviana, which eludes me at the moment.
Dec 28th, 2005, 08:35 AM
ira

Hi SJ,

Sounds like a nice visit.

Is there a reason why you are skipping Venice?

>Car from Naples to Positano. ...Is this the most convenient/cost efficient way to get to Positano?<

Are you planning to rent a car?

The most convenient way is to hire a limo to take you from the airport to your hotel.

The most cost efficient is the bus from Naples airport to Sorrento.

See http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

From there you can take the SITA bus to Positano.

The Circumvesuviana train is a commuter line between Naples and Sorrento. Trains leave aboout every 15 min.

You want the Pompei Scavi stop if you will be near the ruins.

>This is where we're lost... We plan to fly out of Florence.

See www.trenitalia.com for trains between La Spezia and Florence. You don't want to stay in La Spezia.

Have a lovely honeymoon.

Dec 30th, 2005, 05:16 AM

Regarding the end of your trip, it seems like you're hitting a lot of places over 2 weeks. I would pick one place to stay towards the end. We spent 3 nights in Florence this summer (very hot!) and had a wonderful time. It's beautiful and romantic. Depends what you like to do. We hit a bunch of museums/sites - not everything but enough. Or you could spend the last nights in the Tuscan countryside - run around all day, then spend lazy late afternoons by a pool and a bottle of wine. But you've already been in the countryside a lot, so maybe Florence would be a nice change.
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. The train information is very helpful. As for the beginning of the trip, we are going to hire the hotel car to pick us up in Naples. Does anyone have suggestions for getting to Naples? Meaning, would it be easiest to fly into Rome and take the train to Naples, or should we fly into London (for example) and take a connecting flight to Naples? We aren't afraid of the train, we just want to make sure it isn't too hard in the beginning of our trip!
As for the end of trip, Cinque Terre is a must for us (everyone in the family has gone except for my fiancee!), so we need to figure out the easiest way to do it. Should we add 2 days in Naples between Pompeii and Cinque Terre and then end with a couple nights in Florence? We really love to travel around, but we don't want to bite off more than we can handle.
Thanks again for the help, we are SO excited for this trip!
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:24 AM

I've been trying to figure out the best way to get to Naples too, but with 6 people (2 seniors and 2 kids). I think I'm going for connecting flights to Naples, not through London because everything I've seen entails transferring airports in London. AirFrance's connecting times were only 45 minutes between flights. I may look into that more for diffent schedules. Otherwise, I'm going for Newark to Rome to Naples, but waiting for fares to drop. Then private van from Naples to Praiano. May also do private van from Rome to Praiano depending on cost. Thought it might be more cost efficient with 6 people, but definitely not for 2.
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:41 AM

In August there is a hydrofoil (www.metrodelmare.com) from Naples to Positano, which would be easier than the bus; not quite as easy as a limo, admittedly, but much cheaper. A limo does have the advantage of being able to drive right to the door of the Poseidon, though. (I've stayed there & it is very nice - lucky you !)

The two buses Ira mentions will only take you to the top road which runs round the outskirts of Positano; you'd need either to walk from there or get a 3rd bus, the little local orange bus which only runs once an hour. At least one of these buses is not AC.

If you get the hydrofoil, not only is it a more romantic way to arrive but there will be porters waiting at the dock.

On the other hand, if it's your honeymoon & you can afford the €80-100 each way for a limo to the door, why not.

Unfortunately the Metro del Mare doesn't start running until 1st July so it's no good when we visit in June
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

I love the hydrofoil idea and I've bookmarked the site. Thank you! It doesn't hurt to save a little money and add some romance at the same time! One question, will it be hard to get a spot on the hydrofoil once we arrive? Can I reserve or buy a ticket before we leave for the trip? My only worry is that it will be full and then we'll be stuck with having to pay a taxi.
Dec 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Not sure since I've never been lucky enough to be there when it's running. There are 2 people on this forum who are very good with specific Italian transport questions, though - GAC and Steve James. Are either of you out there, please ? I've never booked in advance for any other hydrofoil but then I've never been in August.
Dec 30th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Hi S,

I took the hydrofoil from Capri to Sorrento this fall and it was an experience I would NOT repeat. Even in Sept, the sea was so rough that day that we were nearly thrown out of our seats. Not much scares me, but I was not the only anxious one there!

Also, the hydrofoil I bought a ticket for was supposed to depart at 9:00 am. That boat never showed and finally one came and departed at 10:30 am. In the meantime several different types of boats, ferries, etc. came and left while I waited.

I would just wait and see what the weather and water is like before buying a ticket. The regular boats don't take all that much longer.

congrats and buon viaggio!
Dec 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM

But Dayle, there isn't a regular boat. The Metro del Mare is the only sea transport between Naples & Positano & it only runs in July & August. I very much doubt the sea will be rough in August. And I've never had a bad experience on a hydrofoil, using them in April-June & September, so I think that must be quite unusual.